• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm didn't make a declaration as to the right or wrong of it. Only that the governor most likely has the power he's invoking. And in retrospect, I misspoke as far as the oath. In all likelihood, the officers wouldn't be running contrary to their oath to enforce the action. An officer taking an oath to defend the state and federal constitution, is not without limits, as rights are not always universally held, at least not legally. You can bet your bottom dollar that EVERY state has a provision in which one's rights can be suspended en masse. Instances of rebellion, invasion, and public safety have pretty regularly been used to curtail rights, and of the top of my head, curfew laws after major disasters.

You misunderstood me, Kut. I said that the governor has the power to suspend certain rights, not the "right" to do so. Rights come from our Creator, while powers come from government. As a human, he has the *right* of free speech, etc. but no *power* over any fellow human. As the governor, a representative of government, he has the power to order other elements of government to enforce his dictates, but he has not one single right *as a consequence of his office*.

You may think me pedantic and needlessly splitting hairs, but the difference is important. His powers come from the people, and the people can take them away. The peoples' rights are unalienable, and can be taken only by He who gave them. In the face of Northam's order, just as "Tank Man" in the face of the Chinese government in 1989, the rights are not removed, but their use is punished.

Perhaps another analogy would be better suited: If you put handcuffs on someone, you deny him the use of his arms, but you do not remove his arms! Eventually, you have to remove the cuffs, and you'd better hope either that he is a man with respect for the rule of law, that you have treated him decently or that you have a metric :poop: ton of backup.

And yes, as noted, traditionally (Katrina comes to mind) the governor has the power to take away peoples' guns (unless forbidden in law, as IIRC was done here in IN (I know it was proposed, don't know if it passed the legislature)) AFTER the disaster. I suppose a case could be made that the election was the disaster, however.

The right of the people to petition their government for redress of grievance has been upheld quit vigorously by SCOTUS, IIRC to the point that even if the appeal is frivolous, the court has an obligation to hear it. I don't recall the specifics of the case I'm referencing as it's been many years since I heard of it, but if you want, I'll see if I can find info. Given that position, though, the governor attempting to curtail the right of the people peaceably to assemble FOR THE PURPOSE of redress of grievance would seem to be not only unConstitutional, but grounds for removal from office.

We have gotten soft as a nation; time was that such an action would be grounds for his literal removal from office, tarring and feathering, and being run out of town on a rail.

Before this is all done, I suspect it may come close to that point again. God help us all.

Blessings,
    Bill

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    That would be great. Southern Illinois can secede from the northern counties and leave them to go bankrupt.

They don't necessarily have to join us.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    sBmM4qI.jpg

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm sure you think the constitution was written in purple.

No, I'm just pointing out, that if, what you call patriots don't yield to unConstitutional edicts, then I'd question how many actual patriots there are. If such persons do exist, then they are most certainly regular law breakers according to written law. You wouldn't by chance have a little pink permission slip in your wallet would ya?.... wait, of course you don't you're a patriot, one that doesn't yield to unconstitutional edicts. :dunno:

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    No, I'm just pointing out, that if, what you call patriots don't yield to unConstitutional edicts, then I'd question how many actual patriots there are. If such persons do exist, then they are most certainly regular law breakers according to written law. You wouldn't by chance have a little pink permission slip in your wallet would ya?.... wait, of course you don't you're a patriot, one that doesn't yield to unconstitutional edicts. :dunno:

We're all criminals if we compile state laws together.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere

Kutnupe I actually agree with your statements. Asking permission from the government for just about anything is rather repulsive to patriots, but until such a time as "we the people" are ready to lay down blood and lead to do such a thing we have to take a more pragmatic approach and not be sentenced to 10 years for exercising out rights. I also understand the sentiment that's being expressed and the frustration with the way things are presently. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way, but the position tombs has just needs a little refining IMO. Unless you guys are ready to organize the big revolt of course.:ar15:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kutnupe I actually agree with your statements. Asking permission from the government for just about anything is rather repulsive to patriots, but until such a time as "we the people" are ready to lay down blood and lead to do such a thing we have to take a more pragmatic approach and not be sentenced to 10 years for exercising out rights. I also understand the sentiment that's being expressed and the frustration with the way things are presently. There's nothing wrong with feeling that way, but the position tombs has just needs a little refining IMO. Unless you guys are ready to organize the big revolt of course.:ar15:

FYI, just a heads up, management frowns on this type of talk.
    And yes, I agree we abide by a lot of things that are repulsive to the Constitution.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    Ah yes, the first amendment. Congress shall make no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people to peaceably assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances in the designated "freedom zones" (formerly freedom cages) at the appropriate times and places set forth by governmental dictate.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Please. As Kut said we do not want another visit from those guys in black with ear wigs. Period.

Be cool OK.....:cool:

Top Bottom