NWI INGO Meet & Shoot: Sunday, 14 NOV 2010 - Last 1 for 2010!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    No problem ... cut two inches off the 18" pieces and glue them to the short ones. It should be just fine!

ADDED:

Jediagh,

Are you looking to make cardboard targets? or do you just need the carboard as a backing for paper targets?

I salvaged some "tombstone" targets from the garbage after NPCCC's revolver match last weekend. They were all shot up but not to the point where they are useless. I grabbed the least shot up ones (they were pasted as well).

Here's what I do with targets like these (I usually grab shot up targets after a match) ... I take a brown paper bag, open it up, wrap it around the cardboard, a little tape on the back and they are as good as new. As you shoot them up, you can either paste the holes or wrap a fresh paper bag around the cardboard. Yes, they eventually become pointless with a gaping hole in the middle but they help to give you a silhoutte if you need to practice for a match.

Let me know if you want them. If it turns out that I can not make it to the Meet & Shoot, I can get them to your house. I might even have some fresh IDPA targets as well as some pasters.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    No problem ... cut two inches off the 18" pieces and glue them to the short ones. It should be just fine!

:laugh::laugh:
    Back in HS when I was working on the homecoming float "on paper" I did that "mistake" with 2x4 measurements. Since then I have learned.

I might be able to still salvage it however. Just one of the stands will have 18" poles going up instead of 20". What I do need is a manual saw to cut this stuff. I have a cheap-o batter hack saw but after 2 cuts the battery drained. :xmad: Plus it's hard on the feet/legs holding the pvc while cutting. A vise would help. Gonna see if my dad has a saw I can borrow.

ADDED:

Jediagh,

Are you looking to make cardboard targets? or do you just need the carboard as a backing for paper targets?

I salvaged some "tombstone" targets from the garbage after NPCCC's revolver match last weekend. They were all shot up but not to the point where they are useless. I grabbed the least shot up ones (they were pasted as well).

Here's what I do with targets like these (I usually grab shot up targets after a match) ... I take a brown paper bag, open it up, wrap it around the cardboard, a little tape on the back and they are as good as new. As you shoot them up, you can either paste the holes or wrap a fresh paper bag around the cardboard. Yes, they eventually become pointless with a gaping hole in the middle but they help to give you a silhoutte if you need to practice for a match.

Let me know if you want them. If it turns out that I can not make it to the Meet & Shoot, I can get them to your house. I might even have some fresh IDPA targets as well as some pasters.

Did not think that far WD. I figured just get the cardboard as a backing and left people staple the paper targets onto it. Either method works. But we will need cardboard. I got plenty of paper targets and will print some more if need be.

@Clif45
    Can you bring the wood strips that go into the PVC? Do you have enough of them? We need 8. Might be a good idea to bring some extra just in case Joe shoots the wood in error. :D

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You can put me on the list... depending on the weather it may be one of my last trips to the range for the cold weather... maybe not... I'll have the Saiga 12 Gauge in working order this time... it seems to eat everything I've put through it so if anyone wants to launch multiple shotgun projectiles down range really quickly and make the RO upset I got the toy to do it with... It Eats shot shells, and keeps saying feed me, feed me ... Looking forward to seeing you fellow INGOers...

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    You should plan on replacement wood strips. If you have brand new (or fairly new) shooters, you might also expect to break a stand or two. A jerked trigger might take out an upright or a bad flinch might take out a base.

My advice would be to start your brand new shooters with .22s and work your way up to the bigger calibers. Don't be afraid to scale back and always remember technique ... even when plinking. You owe it to every new shooter to start them off on the right foot and keep them there!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks WD for the info. The last set of new shooters I took we started them on AuntieBellum's 10/22, then moved them to a Chef Larry's Ruger III [.22], then on to Ghost's Walter .22, then to someone's GLOCK 9M, followed by Clif's .40 then my 1911.

We then did the .223 AR followed by the AK. (2 shots per gun just to they got the feel of the weapons along with who uses them (US mil, terrorist for the AK) and finally I showed them the SG first it and then asked if they wanted to try. BIRDSHOT with the option of #7/#8. I think my sister and one co-worker were the only ones that did buck 00 and a slug. After that most went back to the 10/22 and walter/ruger III.

Thus why now I have 2 10/22s along with a ruger III. Need to get a 9mm and a revolver so they can try those out as well. Probably will end up with a Hi-Point in 9mm. Don't think I will ever end up getting a wheel gun however. =/

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    "chop saw" :dunno" 'member u are talking 2 a n00b here! LOL...
    Don't worry I'll make sure not to cut my fingers when I use my dad's power tools today. =)
    Bring the wood strips please.

@all
    Cardboard if you have some. I'll be able to provide a measurement later tomorrow.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Chop Saw:

Makita%20Chop%20Saw%20Diagram.gif

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Think I will be making this one!!!!

Stuff I'm bringing..

S&W MP15 5.56
    DPMS AP4 7.62x51 (.308)
    Spikes AR22
    Springfield XD 40
    Ruger 10/22

Anyone is welcome to shoot any of my guns. FACTORY AMMO ONLY!!!

Ghost bring that hammer with so I can get the Spikes running.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Chop Saw:

Oh you r 1 funny man Clif! Well I end up cutting the parts by hand with a hack saw and lets say next time I think I need a "power tool". My right hand is RAW right now. :(

Plus I did not buy enough PVC. :faint: I bought eight 5' PVC and that made a total of 3 stands but I bought enough T's and elbows for 4 targets. :rolleyes: Yup I sure as heck don't know how to count! :faint:

Not sure if I should just return the Ts and Elbows or go buy more PVC for a 4th stand.

Think I will be making this one!!!!

Holly cow!!! So you make the first and last one of the year. ;):D
    Glad to finally see you come back.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Jedi I can get your all the cardboard you want. I sell wine so I can grab as many boxes as we need. We'll have to cut them flat, but I'm sure they will work just fine.

Let me know.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi I can get your all the cardboard you want. I sell wine so I can grab as many boxes as we need. We'll have to cut them flat, but I'm sure they will work just fine.

Let me know.

That's great! If you can bring cardboard then we will be all set.
    Stands 1 and 2 are 16" wide
    Stand 3 is 18" wide

I have to go buy more PVC for make stand 4 probably go with an 18" wide stand as well. So as long as the cardboard is 18" wide we can use it. We will need a min of 4 pieces for the stands. So if you could bring enough to make 8 that would br great.

Not sure how tall the wood strips Clif is bring will be?

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Go long on the strips if you feel the need. Just remember, you can always staple the cardboard lower or higher. Nothing says the top of the cardboard has to be even with the top of the strips. You only need to line up your shooter, the target and the berm.

Also, if I can make it, I will bring some plastic bags to slip over the cardboard (if you are using the cardboard to hold targets, then you just staple the targets over the plastic). The forecast is calling for some rain. If it rains, the cardboard will curl up. An alternative to the plastic bags would be some cheap spray paint. This will protect the cardboard pretty much all day from warping. The only factor will be how many holes you put in the cardboard.

Last edited:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Clif, The safty cover and the dust bag were the first two things to disappear off the saw I have to use.... Dust everywhere, and I gotta wear my ballistic shooting glasses cause stuff goes everywhere when that blade starts cutting stuff....LOL

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom