NWI INGO Meet & Shoot: Sunday, 14 NOV 2010 - Last 1 for 2010!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I plan on attending, have it in my blackberry with a reminder. I'm gonna try to get my dad to make the trip out too since he hasn't done much shooting lately. Don't know what the list will consist of, but it will probably be Glock 22, 45-70 lever gun, .225, and maybe a 30.06 :dunno: I'll go through the safe and see what I like. Might bring some food too if it looks like we need more.

Also jedi, instead of wood posts, what if we take some of that extra money and build some freestanding target holders for the 25yd lanes. This way we can put targets out at say 5', 10', etc and get some actual practice in, instead of shooting them at 50yd like last time.

Something like this that would be easy to transport....
    Build a Simple, Portable PVC Target Stand « Daily Bulletin

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Also jedi, instead of wood posts, what if we take some of that extra money and build some freestanding target holders for the 25yd lanes. This way we can put targets out at say 5', 10', etc and get some actual practice in, instead of shooting them at 50yd like last time.

Something like this that would be easy to transport....
    Build a Simple, Portable PVC Target Stand « Daily Bulletin

Bill B and I were talkinga bout making some simple target stands like what we saw at the last shoot which was nothing more than simple T shaped wood strips. However your link shows us a much better design and it's much more portable than what we had in mind.

@Clif45
    Can you get us a discount on the PVC or is it just the plywood?

@All
    Technically I asked for donation to get plywood to give to the DNR range. So would it be OK to use some of those funds to make these target holders? Note I have no idea what the cost is for these. Also brings up the point of who takes them home/uses them when we are not there. Or should we donate them to the range. :dunno: (Not liking that last idea)

@me
    Guess you need to make another run to the hardware store and see what the cost for these would be. I really HATE menards you know! :faint:

@MODs
    Sorry for using this THREAD for a discussion but this topic is best suited under this thread since it deals with people who have donated in the past for this event and items that will be used at this event.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Bill B and I were talkinga bout making some simple target stands like what we saw at the last shoot which was nothing more than simple T shaped wood strips. However your link shows us a much better design and it's much more portable than what we had in mind.
    @All
    Technically I asked for donation to get plywood to give to the DNR range. So would it be OK to use some of those funds to make these target holders? Note I have no idea what the cost is for these. Also brings up the point of who takes them home/uses them when we are not there. Or should we donate them to the range. :dunno: (Not liking that last idea)

First of all I don't see any reason why not. and second of all:
    Educational Zone #24 - Homemade Target Stand - Page 1

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I dont get any discounts from buying through menards, I am just there all the time so I can get it easier then most people. Building with plastic is easy, so that isnt any issue. That is actually pretty quick to build, and the ABS is cheaper then PVC so that is a plus. If you want I could find out prices on my break for school today, I go right next to menards for lunch.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @Clif45 please if you can get us pricing to make the stands that would be great.
    Looks like the link Ghost send uses even less parts which in turn may be cheaper. But it looks like the wind will blow it down. If you can spec both of great. If not then go with the link that aclrak gave us. We can use coat hangers to "tie it down" so to speak.

Also Clif45 I thought you lived in "da hood" and got "discount" all the time at mendards! I swear I've seen you walk into the store with a huge XXXL parak during summer time and come out a few mins later looking even bigger than when you went it. LOL! Clearly you must be doing something wrong if you are not getting the discounts. :faint:

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Well if I go with one design, I can make it in one stick of pipe. If I use the other design, it will take more one pipe then a few feet. a few more stands can use less material. The box o truth design is the one that takes 1 piece, and the other takes 2 pieces.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Well if I go with one design, I can make it in one stick of pipe. If I use the other design, it will take more one pipe then a few feet. a few more stands can use less material. The box o truth design is the one that takes 1 piece, and the other takes 2 pieces.

Can you get the cost for both the box of truth design and the black square design. Personally I think the black sqaure would be better since it seems it can handle windy days better. But I guess for either design we can use wire hangers so won't matter.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks to Clif45 we have some prices for the targets.

1 1/2" PVC like this:
    targetstand02.jpg

will cost $46.19 for 4 after taxes or $11.54 each unit.
    Note that I modified the design so that the base uses all 16" tubes and 20" upright tubes. If you build just 1 the cost is $14.81 after taxes.

For a style like this:
    e24-1.jpg

the cost for 4 is $44.51 or 11.13 per unit.
    Note that I modified the design so that the base uses all 16" tubes and 20" uprights. If you build just 1 the cost is $14.36 after taxes.

The modification of the design was to reduce the number of 10' PVC pipes we are using and cut down on cost.

I like the top design better and for a mere $2 more I think we can get more stability out of it. I'm willing to pitch in $10 to get 4 of these built.

I DO NOT WANT TO USE THE MONEY WE CURRENTLY HAVE HAVE THE PLYWOOD BECAUSE THAT DONATION WAS FOR PLYWOOD. I am PMing the donors right now to see if they would like to "change" their donation to this but for now that money is just for material donations to the range.

Here is the price info that Clif45 gave me.

1 1/2 inch pipe is 2.99 for 10 foot. On sale until Sunday. Caps are .77, tees are 1.97, and elbows are .98

2 inch pipe is 3.99 for 10 foot on sale until Sunday. Caps are 1.13, tees are 1.38, and elbows are 1.19.

He did not check ABS because it was more expensive that PVC.

Almost forget if we built these we still need those wooden post and some cardboard. Clif you got enough wood for 4?

Anyone have cardboard? I think I can find some at work but not sure.

--update---
    PM to the donors of last meet & shoot done.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    BTW someone did PM me a good question. Will we run into any issues using these with the RO? Unlike I7BO I don't want to :spend: and be told no we can't use them. Yes I know we got this idea from someone else but does anyone live close enough to show the RO a pic of it and he be OK with it?

Or should we just be bold and "do it" :D

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I say we just do it. I don't really see how putting these up would be a problem. We are still shooting into the backstop and following all the safety procedures.

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    Target Ranges

• There are three public shooting ranges on Winamac FWA. Daily self-service check-in is required at each range.
    • The archery range provides shooting stations at 10, 20, 30, and 40 yards from the ground or an elevated platform.
    • The shotgun range is for clay targets only. Users must provide clay targets and throwers.
    • The shooting range provides covered shooting stations at 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards. Paper targets only, properly posted on provided target bases. Users must provide paper targets and fasteners.
    • Shooting and shotgun range hours: 8:00 am to 7:00 pm April - August. 8:00 am to 5:00 pm September – March.
    • The archery range is open daily from daylight to dark.
    • Ranges are closed on Mondays, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.

I think you should at least run the idea by them. I would imagine they will be okay with it but if they feel you are overstepping by just doing it, you may encounter resistance

Woodrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    Munster
    The last group had some modified targets. I can see where they wouldn't want PVC out there for the trash, but paper and wooden stakes shouldn't be a problem.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    cbop I see you live "near/@" winamac could you please, pertty please stop by the range & show them the pic of what we want to bring & see if it's OK? Tell them it's the group that comes once a month from hammond/highland area that brings the plywood. Stop by the little RO house @ the range itself and if you could please verify the number of plywoods/post they has as well. Please, please, please... =)

cbop

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Winamac
    Okay, I will make a point to stop sometime this week-end..... geez, I hate to see a grown man beg:):

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    On the original list you can swap my LE6940 for a SBR AR-15. Gotta give the NWI people something to play with if they didnt make the NFA day afterall. Ammo will be limited for both my guns (9mm and 5.56), but anyone is free to use them.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom