NWI INGO General Thread #27 - Fresh Pink Air On US-30 smells like...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    So, what kind of options do I have?
    Windows, Linux, Mac, Chrome Book
    What about linux? Would that be a difficult transition for me?
    Probably.
    What about programs? Do I lose compatibility?
    Definitely.
    What kind of laptop would be good?
    Snap is right. Get RAM. That is the key for laptops these days. 16Gb is the minimum I would get. If you have a lot of stuff open at the same time, like browser tabs and programs, get 32Gb.

Get one with Windows 11. That will keep you more secure, longer.

Do you have a Costco membership? That is a good place to buy a laptop.

For your current laptop, you probably have a bunch of junk loading at startup. They love to load crap onto laptops. You might be able to turn a lot of it off.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    But, when I look at laptops, I don't know if I want Microsoft anything, especially Windows
    FYI, Windows 11 requires a Microsoft account now.

If you want to stay with Windows run the PC Health check app on your current laptop:

That will tell you if your current laptop can be upgraded to Win11.

I've found Linux Mint to be a fairly easy transition from Windows:

If you just need to browse the web and do email Linux would be fine. Open Office will substitute for 80% of MS Office functionality.

Bunch of programs just aren't available for Linux.

You can download Linux Mint and put it on a bootable USB drive to try. I've got one if you want to just plug it in and try it.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Because my laptop sucks... I keep thinking of getting a new one.
    Course, maybe I should just take it someplace to see if they can look and find some conflict or something bogging it down.
    Been bogged down since I got it.

Main thing I would use it for, would be programming Christmas lights. And a few other things too.
    But I can't do them, because the music won't line up with the events, because everytime I play it, the light sequence timing changes.
    :xmad:

But, when I look at laptops, I don't know if I want Microsoft anything, especially Windows.

So, what kind of options do I have?
    What about linux? Would that be a difficult transition for me?
    What about programs? Do I lose compatibility?
    What kind of laptop would be good?

Or am I overthinking things?
    First things first - what is your current laptop?
    brand, model, CPU, ram, video, operating system, age?

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    FYI, Windows 11 requires a Microsoft account now.

If you want to stay with Windows run the PC Health check app on your current laptop:

That will tell you if your current laptop can be upgraded to Win11.

I've found Linux Mint to be a fairly easy transition from Windows:

If you just need to browse the web and do email Linux would be fine. Open Office will substitute for 80% of MS Office functionality.

Bunch of programs just aren't available for Linux.

You can download Linux Mint and put it on a bootable USB drive to try. I've got one if you want to just plug it in and try it.
    This is inaccurate actually; but is beyond the ability/desire of a general user. You can definitely install 11 Pro without an MS account. I don't ever run home version, so not sure about that, but i'm sure google knows.
    As for the health/readiness "tool" - don't believe it. I have yet to find a PC that would not install from a clean usb iso of 11 pro even when it was reported to not be ready in the "tool" by using the media creator and making an iso, then use rufus to make the iso bootable. You'll probably have to deal with legacy/uefi boot options in some manor, but that a machine by machine question.
    ymmv.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    Some of their minimum system requirements are just opinions. This is different from the old days. Microsoft wants to decide for you if you will like your machine running Windows 11.

Windows 11 is designed to bring you closer to what you love and is releasing at a time when the PC is playing an even more central role in the way we connect, create and play. When we made the decision on where to set the minimum system requirements for Window 11, we focused on three principles to guide our thinking to help ensure a great user experience:
    • Reliability
    • Security
    • Compatibility
    If you are interested in understanding more about our minimum system requirements and how these principles helped guide our decision-making, please see this blog that provides a more detailed explanation of our approach.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    :woot:

jedi did it all by jediself.
    Remember that pipe that looked like it leaked but had not. This one.

View attachment 372130

Called a few plumbers that never came.
    One guy came and said he would send me a quote and never did. :(

So a few youtube videos and some practice on spare copper pipes today jedi took the plunge and just did it.

Bye bye pipe
    View attachment 372131

Was not sure jedi could line up those pipes after the cuts

View attachment 372134
    Got your union card?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Yes, work arounds exist.

Installing Win11 on a PC without adequate hardware might result in a poor experience.
    zero issues even on ancient machines (well, lets say 5th/6th gen intel) again ymmv. It's not a work around, it's an option in the pro version.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    So above ground pool folks....

How hard is it to maintain the pool?
    Do you empty it out before winter and refill in the spring?
    Any regrets?
    We have an intex pool. Those have to be drained and taken down. They're not meant to be left up. A regular steel/aluminum pool I believe you just drain maybe a third of water from it.

Wife maintains the pool. Vacuum a couple times a week. We use chlorox 7-1 tablets and we use the same in granular form for opening. She swears by these products. Water is always crystal clear and have little maintenance at all other than skimming and vacuuming.

If you go the intex route. Get rid of the cheap pump that comes with. They cannot move enough water. Get a sand filter and a bigger pump right off the bat and it'll make maintenance some much simpler

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    So above ground pool folks....

How hard is it to maintain the pool?
    Do you empty it out before winter and refill in the spring?
    Any regrets?
    We had one for about 10 years from the previous owner. It's actually not too bad, although I'm sure things have changed now for the better. Back then you just have to stay on top of chlorinating it. Testing the water every few days. And vacuuming the inside bottom of the pool. Flushing the filter. For winterizing it I would drain out maybe a third of the water. Then do a winterizing of chemicals. Then throw the cover on it. We really enjoyed ours and got a lot of use out of it. We decided to take it down as it was going on close to 20 years old. Didn't want to take a chance of a side bursting.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I never drained my in the ground pool at all.
    But all the pipes got blown out and plugged, to prevent breaking pipes.

Cleaned
    Chems added.
    Covered

Top Bottom