• Status
    Not open for further replies.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Wild Deuce

How about a class on how to paint your rifle? We could all learn together!

I would love to get everyone together and GET SOMETHING DONE! Learn how to do canning, knife sharpening class, how to paint a firearm, photography, file swap, or anything else!

I'd be more than happy to put on the duracoat class, heck I'll even go into a few other basic finishes too, like cold blue. I could even give the basics on parkerizing and electroplating. Problem is materials, and depending on how many people I don't have the space.

I'll make the offer, if you've got a firearm to refinish, weather duracoat or cold blue or get creative whatever, buy the kit and let's set something up and we'll all have a little get together. Now is the time for this stuff, shooting does kind of slack off so you'll have time for it to cure.

I tell you what, I'd like to get my learn on too. Guys were talking about ham radios that'd be cool, gardening, canning, whatever. I'm all for it.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I know napalm does the radio thing.

My wife can do a canning class(she doesn't know I'm suggesting her get) and we can all swap gardening tips.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I'd be more than happy to put on the duracoat class, heck I'll even go into a few other basic finishes too, like cold blue. I could even give the basics on parkerizing and electroplating. Problem is materials, and depending on how many people I don't have the space.

I'll make the offer, if you've got a firearm to refinish, weather duracoat or cold blue or get creative whatever, buy the kit and let's set something up and we'll all have a little get together. Now is the time for this stuff, shooting does kind of slack off so you'll have time for it to cure.

I tell you what, I'd like to get my learn on too. Guys were talking about ham radios that'd be cool, gardening, canning, whatever. I'm all for it.

I've got a couple of .22s that would look kick ass if they got painted.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Not yet but hopefully someday soon. 200+ pounds gone people. It has been a long time to get here but the other day I actually marked and sent my biggest gun belt off to have it shortened by three feet. :rolleyes:

Any big guys here that aren't too cool for used clothes?

I've got a whole trashbag full of pretty darn nice xxl stuff. Mostly shirts but I have some jeans too in 40, 42, 44 inch waist. Mostly 32 inseem.

I tossed anything ratty. Most of this stuff is in almost new condition. A lot of button up shirts that I only wore and handful of times if at all. I'm 33 so most of it is fashion neutral. No weird old man stuff (ok, one shirt that I got as a gift) and no weird super young stuff with tribal art or FUBU all over it. :D

I also have a nice xxl light coat/heavy jacket black with some white detail. My company name is small on one sleeve.

I'm gonna take it all to goodwill if no one here wants it. I don't want to be tempted to eat myself back into it all.

PM if interested.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    covered in snot and it will not rot!
    @ Turnandshoot4, I'm the one that is learning. I have been offered a chance to chat/meet/get in touch with someone that has good expertise/experience/results on this subject. If I get something set up, I will ask to include you. I'm pretty settled on the pattern (it will match my GLOCK). I will be testing a few more patterns to be sure. I think I have pattern/scheme and technique figured out. The remaining issues are surface prep work and durability (paint choice and finish ... maybe curing).

I know degreasing the entire thing is imperative. Which is often difficult for me because my stuff is snotty when it comes to lube.:drool:[/QUOTE]

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    Speaking of Duracoat!

Maybe you should coat a few of them new Armor Zippo lighters in the favorite gun combination and patterns to test and see if Melensdad will sell them in the cigar shop.

I know I would love one in dark earth or something interesting.

Might even get the wife one in pink cammo.lol

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I did the complete cleaning and scrub down of the GLOCK. I followed that up with a complete spray and scrub down with Brake Cleaner ... twice. The only thing I did not want to do is to break down the tenifer finish on the slide (by sanding or chemically). I suspect the paint on the slide will chip off quickly. It's ok with me though.

Just waiting for the paint to cure (sitting on the heat register for a week or until I no longer smell paint) before I reassemble and post pics.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I have a wooden stock that needs a bit more sanding and then some finishing. I was going to try the Tru-Oil and Armor all method here. I'd be willing to test it out at one of the painting "how-to's".

BTW anyone have a channel sander (or method) for gun stocks? I'd like to get the barrel a little more floated, but having trouble getting into the channel.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I have a wooden stock that needs a bit more sanding and then some finishing. I was going to try the Tru-Oil and Armor all method here. I'd be willing to test it out at one of the painting "how-to's".

BTW anyone have a channel sander (or method) for gun stocks? I'd like to get the barrel a little more floated, but having trouble getting into the channel.

If you could get results like the link you provided, I would skip painting and stick to that process for a wood stock. That looks fantastic! Thanks for the link, BTW.

What type of firearm are you trying to float?

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_2nd_amendment/190078-2a_litigator_to_speak_at_valpo_law_school.html

From IN_Sheepdog

There will be a presentation by Mr. Alan Gura, a Litigator in both the
    DC v Heller and McDonald v Chicago Legal Actions titled:

Current Second Amendment Litigation

This is a free presentation, and open to the public, although it is a presentation mostly to legal field people, lawyers and law students.
    I thought I would post it for anyone interested in attending.

Date: January 19th, (This Thursday)
    Valparaiso University School of Law
    Ulbricht Lecture Hall
    4:00 PM (Central Time)

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    If you could get results like the link you provided, I would skip painting and stick to that process for a wood stock. That looks fantastic! Thanks for the link, BTW.

What type of firearm are you trying to float?

I am not going to paint it, I am going to finish it, just need to find the time. Just saying I could bring the stuff (already bought it) to the meetup, and we can all experiment with it. Also have the old plastic take off we could use for painting practice.

Its a marlin 60 stock modded for a 795.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Hmmm ... I floated my kid's Marlin 60 a couple years ago. I should have the tools sitting around. Used a wood file and another contraption I threw together for the sanding.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    2 sad stories this moring.

2 year old girls killed after being shot in the head by half-sister with a .22 handgun.
    Girl, 2, dies after being shot in Gary home on Saturday - Post-Tribune

2nd a murder in Highland, IN.
    Gunshot kills Highland woman, 28 - Post-Tribune
    28 year old highland resident who is a tech at comunity hospital is found dead at her home. The story in the paper is very short and is missing a lot of info. The co-workers called police when she failed to show up to work (10:30PM). Police then went to her home and found her dead. Hum... you must typically have to wait 24 hours before you can report someone missing. Suspect in this case the co-workers knew that something was not right (ie. perhaps trouble with a boy/girlfriend, etc..)

-Jedi

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    The 24 hours may be a myth perpetrated by TV.

I personally have requested a Wellness check be performed on a few family members including my exwife when things made me go hmmm.

If it isn't a crazy request they usually ran by to check within the hour.

When in doubt, check it out. ;)

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    From nwi.com:

Boyfriend in custody in connection with Highland homicide

HIGHLAND | The boyfriend of a Highland woman found dead inside
    her home Monday is in custody in Florida in connection with the
    case, officials said Tuesday.
    Police said he was immediately named a person of interest in her
    shooting death after her body was discovered.
    Jacqueline Williams, 28, of the 2600 block of 40th Place was
    found dead inside her home just after midnight Monday after she
    failed to report to work Sunday night at St. Catherine Hospital in
    East Chicago. She was a CT scan technician at the hospital.

Boyfriend in custody in connection with Highland homicide

Get free news from nwi.com on your iPhone by visiting App Store - NWI.com

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I only quoted one part of your post. The organs of the little girl were donated.

We must have a failure to communicate because I live near the river.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom