• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I need to buy a hybrid car just for Chik-fil-a runs. I'm going to be going out there so much it will pay for itself in a few months.:laugh:

Don't get a hybrid car, buy a diesel. Real world testing shows that hybrids deliver LOWER fuel economy than is claimed on the window sticker but diesel cars deliver HIGHER fuel economy than is posted on the sticker.

My daughter's VW Jetta TDI is getting her almost 42 miles per gallon in a real world mix of rural & suburban driving. The EPA rated her car for 30city/40hwy.

I took her car to St Louis this summer, it was 102 degrees outside, I had the AC running full blast all the way down there, all the way back. I made the round trip on 14.2 gallons, almost 600 miles round trip, arrived back home late evening and would have done it on 1 tank of gas if I hadn't run the AC full blast and driving 70 to 75mph! Notice the fuel economy, 42.0mpg on the readout/588.6 miles driven.

I'm planning to buy a new Passat TDI (diesel) next spring, its bigger and gets the same fuel economy because they tweaked the exhaust system.

1-6.jpg

Last edited:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    Shoe Corner

Does anyone know why there are always many pairs of old shoes all over the side of the road at Calumet Ave and 231? This has been going on since I was a kid. How did this get started? Why do people throw their old shoes out at this corner? It is known as shoe corner to many people in the region. ??????

Last edited:

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I've wondered myself. But I know it as shoe corner. I'd love to here the story behind it, if there is one. I've often pondered the reason behind it myself.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I googled it a few months ago after years of curiosity. A lot of interesting stuff. It's more well known than I thought it was. If you start typing it, by "shoe cor" It pops up with "shoe corner Indiana" and "shoe corner St. John."

Mystery shrouds Shoe Corner

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&o....,cf.osb&fp=a7d5b7030ebfa2c5&biw=1066&bih=752

Bottom one is a link to the google results page if you're too lazy to type.

I've always wanted to toss some shoes, but so far haven't had the chance. It's one of those places I never know ahead of time that I'm gonna end up at. So I never bring some old shoes. I might toss a few pair in the trunk just in case.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I googled it a few months ago after years of curiosity. A lot of interesting stuff. It's more well known than I thought it was. If you start typing it, by "shoe cor" It pops up with "shoe corner Indiana" and "shoe corner St. John."

Mystery shrouds Shoe Corner

http://www.google.com/search?aq=0&o....,cf.osb&fp=a7d5b7030ebfa2c5&biw=1066&bih=752

Bottom one is a link to the google results page if you're too lazy to type.

I've always wanted to toss some shoes, but so far haven't had the chance. It's one of those places I never know ahead of time that I'm gonna end up at. So I never bring some old shoes. I might toss a few pair in the trunk just in case.

:rockwoot: Who wants to do some surveliance over the weekend? I do.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I do all my own, but if I had to take it anywhere there is a place in merrillville called Accutek. Did two remote starts and all of my friends cars with audio and remote starts. Good guys there.

Accutek

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I killed an hour in cabelas today (damn rain) may hit gander tomorrow if there's no work (damn rain) any suggestions for 1. made in usa boots 2. nice knives. They don't have to be at the same store. Thanks

SOME of the more expensive Wolverine boots are/were made in the USA. Most are not.
    SOME of the more expensive Danner boots are/were made in the USA. Most are not.
    SOME of the more expensive Red Wing boots are made in the USA. Most are not.
    SOME of the more expensive Carolina Boots are made in the USA. Most are not.
    SOME of the more expensive Rocky Boots are made in the USA. Most are not.

I don't believe Timberland or Carhardt have any made in the USA.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    The one steel toe made in usa they did not have in my size. I've watched three movies today. I'm thinking about driving home tomorrow and coming back the next morning. Home is 3 hours from work and two hours from the campground.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    That's about it. I bought a new car and it doesn't have an in-dash cd player. Just a trunk changer, but that's missing the cartridge for the disks so...nothing.
    I want a decent stereo with a cd player and aux inputs so I can play my itunes off of my blackberry. And I need to install an adapter so my steering controls still work. I'd hate to have a car this pimp, and not have my steering wheel controls work.

Mobile Specialties here in hammond quoted me 225. Doesn't seem like too much over cost. The stereo they quoted me on goes for 125-150 where I've looked. And the adapter for the steering wheel controls was $69 at two different places.
    And it's close to home so I think that's what I'll probly end up doing.

oldfb

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Valpo
    EBay for the CD cartridges the extra player in the trunk comes in handy on long trips so try to keep it as part of your system but relocating it from the trunk will really be a good idea.lol. rainy days makes it crazy. Having the new head unit and extra inputs and controls will be sweet. There is cartronix in nwi as well for installs but the price you quoted sounds fair for a shop. Doing it yourself is pretty much plug n play even with new amps and such but much simpler to just pay the $ and get it done properly if you don't have skills and patience. Especially if you decide to add or change out speakers once you realize how crappy stock rocks.lmao good luck and enjoy another addiction. Lol
    That's about it. I bought a new car and it doesn't have an in-dash cd player. Just a trunk changer, but that's missing the cartridge for the disks so...nothing.
    I want a decent stereo with a cd player and aux inputs so I can play my itunes off of my blackberry. And I need to install an adapter so my steering controls still work. I'd hate to have a car this pimp, and not have my steering wheel controls work.

Mobile Specialties here in hammond quoted me 225. Doesn't seem like too much over cost. The stereo they quoted me on goes for 125-150 where I've looked. And the adapter for the steering wheel controls was $69 at two different places.
    And it's close to home so I think that's what I'll probly end up doing.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom