Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Was this the intrepid?
    Sounds like the old 3.2 strikes again.

3.2 ???????
    Yes it's the interpid. It made it to EC and my brother-in-law is going to look at it. My dad's mechanic in EC can't get to it until Monday. So for now it's in EC. Funny thing is it did not overheat (or even get 1/2 hot) from Hammond to EC. :dunno: Car-X said when they pressurized the coolant system it began to leak at the gasket.So car-x is not sure if they can rebuild the gasket (machine it again) or if it is cracked and needs to be replaced. They won't know unless some1 takes it apart.

I know no one every needs these headaches but I really don't need it a week **BEFORE** the meet & shoot! That is what really is pissing me off right now. Why right now why not allow me to let the MEET & SHOOT pass & then have to have this issue appear/work on/etc.

Yes I'm crying about the money as well but more the timing! I was so looking forward to not having to take the van & right nownot sure if I can take the van as it's going into the shop on Monday as well for a schedule repair. **SIGH**

-Jedi

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    When I worked for a local dodge dealership the intrepids had a nasty habit of having the thermostat housing fail. It was either the 3.2 or 3.6 liter engine, it's been about 8 years since I worked on one and I just can't remember. Combined with the thermostat housing the cylinder heads have notoriously small coolant passages, this became problematic when they switched from the green to the orange coolant, when you put the wrong coolant in it would sludge up the already small passages and burn up your head.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    & then the GODs said we will spare you today Jedi! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

My brother-in-law looked at the car and told me that he changed the thermostat ($30 part) since it was in the open position locked and bingo no more overheating! He ran the car for 20 mins (idle), then drove it for another 10 and nothing. He suggest I take it on Cline tomorrow up and down a few time to see if I can stress it. Otherwise we are good to go. Just an oil change (due for one) and a coolant flush (also due and it lost most of it already) and we are back in business.

BTW Toyota in Highland on Indy Blvd currently has a promotion of $2500 to $3000 credit for any care you can bring in or push into their look. The credit is good on their used cars. They had a nice little truck that would serve my "gun range" needs just nice. Tempting but for now I think the intrepid will stay until it dies on the side of the road, tires fall out, engine block blows just like my first car a Ford Probe which I finally killed at around 240,000 miles after going EAST Coast, WEST coast, TX, and back and EAST cost and then coming back. Oh those were good old times. :D

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    & then the GODs said we will spare you today Jedi! :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

My brother-in-law looked at the car and told me that he changed the thermostat ($30 part) since it was in the open position locked and bingo no more overheating! He ran the car for 20 mins (idle), then drove it for another 10 and nothing. He suggest I take it on Cline tomorrow up and down a few time to see if I can stress it. Otherwise we are good to go. Just an oil change (due for one) and a coolant flush (also due and it lost most of it already) and we are back in business.

Never believe what those big places tell you. Always go to a "little guy". He usually has a reputation to uphold and his business will be word of mouth mostly, so if he screws someone over he screws himself over.

BTW Jedi. We have an oil change deal at the moment. 5+ Qts (5.28) of mobil super (any weight) plus a filter and a bunch of other stuff for $20 (oil pan, hand cleaner, shop towels funnel). You cant buy the oil and filter alone for just that.

I'm working again on sunday 11-3 if you wanted to drive out here. Griffith Autozone might have the same deal on though too if you didn't wanna drive too far :P

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    what do the resident cigar experts think about this deal

Top-Shelf Glass Top Humi Sampler #2 - Cigars International

I'm more interested in the humidor than the cigars that come with it. I want to fill it Cigar International Copper Label cigars made by Drew Estate.

For $30 bucks its a good deal. Realize that any cheap humidor is a cheap humidor. They are made out of masonite and covered with a veneer of cedar that is about 1/64th of an inch thick. The whole purpose of cedar is to absorb moisture and keep the humidity inside the box stable. If you have a paper thin (literally the thickness of a piece of paper) piece of cedar then how can that provide the moisture stabilization you need.

And how can a glass top do it either? Glass tops are non-porous, masonite is non-porous. Veneer is non-porous.

So you are getting a hell of a good deal on cigars and a fancy looking cheap humidor. Overall its a great deal, but you will need some gel humidification tubs for the humidor and you'll want to make sure you don't fill the humidor full, keep it no more than 2/3rds to 3/4ths full so there is plenty of airflow for the humidifier gel to work. Inexpensive humidors don't work any better than a tupperware container. That said, you can make a tupperware container work, it just takes more effort than it would with a well made humidor that has thick/solid cedar sides, cedar tray with venting cuts . . .

Most of the humidors we sell at the lounge are cheap humidors because most people think that the veneer is actual wood. Most don't understand what the humidor is actually supposed to do for the cigars.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    BTW Jedi. We have an oil change deal at the moment. 5+ Qts (5.28) of mobil super (any weight) plus a filter and a bunch of other stuff for $20 (oil pan, hand cleaner, shop towels funnel). You cant buy the oil and filter alone for just that.

I'm working again on sunday 11-3 if you wanted to drive out here. Griffith Autozone might have the same deal on though too if you didn't wanna drive too far :P

Thanks I use to change me own oil when I was in high school and college on my probe. Did not mind spending a day with her doing work on her. Also cause I was broke. ;) Now a days I don't have the time, space, and more importantly WANT to change the oil on my cars after my probe died I vowed I would never become attached to another car. From that point on they would be a machine that you use, abuse and when it breaks fix or move on. I took the death of my probe a bit too hard, it was my first car and I did a lot of first in it and she was with me for a good 6 years. So alas I won't change oils on these cars. Sorry just noth worth getting dirty for.

Jedi

For $30 bucks its a good deal. Realize that any cheap humidor is a cheap humidor. They are made out of masonite and covered with a veneer of cedar that is about 1/64th of an inch thick. The whole purpose of cedar is to absorb moisture and keep the humidity inside the box stable. If you have a paper thin (literally the thickness of a piece of paper) piece of cedar then how can that provide the moisture stabilization you need.

And how can a glass top do it either? Glass tops are non-porous, masonite is non-porous. Veneer is non-porous.

So you are getting a hell of a good deal on cigars and a fancy looking cheap humidor. Overall its a great deal, but you will need some gel humidification tubs for the humidor and you'll want to make sure you don't fill the humidor full, keep it no more than 2/3rds to 3/4ths full so there is plenty of airflow for the humidifier gel to work. Inexpensive humidors don't work any better than a tupperware container. That said, you can make a tupperware container work, it just takes more effort than it would with a well made humidor that has thick/solid cedar sides, cedar tray with venting cuts . . .

Most of the humidors we sell at the lounge are cheap humidors because most people think that the veneer is actual wood. Most don't understand what the humidor is actually supposed to do for the cigars.

I'm so tired of hearing you nerds talk about your cigars. This is a gun forum that is somewhere else or make an "unoffical cigar thread".

:rofl:

Did I sound DG enough on that last post. ;)
    -Jedi

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I'm so tired of hearing you nerds talk about your cigars. This is a gun forum that is somewhere else or make an "unoffical cigar thread".

:rofl:

Did I sound DG enough on that last post. ;)
    -Jedi

A. Cigars are cool. They've been an iconic symbol of coolness and class for decades. Notice in movies the rich, cool guy that's laying it down with super hot lady after super hot lady...he's always smoking cigars, yet he's never sitting on his roof trying to listen to other peoples conversations on a walkie talkie. And way more than 2 people in our group like cigars. But the guy with the Star Wars name gets a pass on not knowing what's cool and what's nerdy.

B. I'ts only been a few posts so far. So even if cigars WERE nerdy, I'd wait though weeks of subtle hints and reminders and having this thread soured and ruined before I tried to push the cigar talk into it's own thread.

C. I actually helped you with that thread because now you have a broader group of nerds to talk to about your radios with. It's no longer just you and Napalm talking about frequencies and antennas and trying to figure out how to actually BECOME the guys from Big Bang Theory. So show a little appreciation!

:D :laugh:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    A. Cigars are cool. They've been an iconic symbol of coolness and class for decades. Notice in movies the rich, cool guy that's laying it down with super hot lady after super hot lady...he's always smoking cigars, yet he's never sitting on his roof trying to listen to other peoples conversations on a walkie talkie. And way more than 2 people in our group like cigars. But the guy with the Star Wars name gets a pass on not knowing what's cool and what's nerdy.

First of all keep it up & I'll have to send VaderDog after you and your doggie.
    dogvader.jpg
    He is not as forgiving as I am. :D

Second we SW Nerds have much better looking girls. Ya Non fans just did not see them in the movies cause we don't need "YOU PEOPLE" coming into our space.

16_large.jpg

Girls we even have sexy male stormtroppers for you as well.
    images

:laugh:

As for all those women around a man with a cigar. Meh... This is much better.
    leai.jpg

& last but not least don't cry cause Hello Kitty does not love you.
    Hello-Kitty-Nerd-ID-Card-Case_15396-l.jpg

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    OK, DogVader is pretty cute.

ETA...
    I notice Hello Kitty has an HK beltbuckle. Shall I assume that it doesn't do anything better than the GLOCK buckle, looks just as fake and clunky, but costs triple the price? ;)

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I would like to take this opportunity to thank melensdad for making my Ruger SR1911 a household, gun store and gun range topic.

I seen a post that basically says "I heard about this at so and so, but didn't believe it. Now I see the thread and it is,real"

Now when anybody sees a stranger on the range or on the street with a Ruger 1911, they will wonder, is that the guy with the tainted gun. This one experience, which lasted just a matter of minutes, will become folklore that will last throught the ages.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom