• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Plus having your FCC license per IN law allows you to have a police scanner in your car. YOU ARE EXEMPT otherwise you are breaking the law. :)

I didn't know that. Are you talking about a plain jane scanner (not able to transmit)? ... even if you don't have any police frequencies programmed? I used to think that it was only prohibited to possess/use one during the commission of a crime (like you are going to follow this law if you are already commiting a felony). Can you cite the law for this? I would like to add it to my bookmarks.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    IC 35-44-3-12
    Unlawful use of a police radio; exemptions; "police radio" defined
    Sec. 12. (a) A person who knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) possesses a police radio;
    (2) transmits over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes; or
    (3) possesses or uses a police radio:
    (A) while committing a crime;
    (B) to further the commission of a crime; or
    (C) to avoid detection by a law enforcement agency;
    commits unlawful use of a police radio, a Class B misdemeanor.

(b) Subsection (a)(1) and (a)(2) do not apply to:
    (1) a governmental entity;
    (2) a regularly employed law enforcement officer;
    (3) a common carrier of persons for hire whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
    (4) a public service or utility company whose vehicles are used in emergency service;
    (5) a person who has written permission from the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency to possess a police radio;
    (6) a person who holds an amateur radio license issued by the Federal Communications Commission if the person is not transmitting over a frequency assigned for police emergency purposes;
    (7) a person who uses a police radio only in the person's dwelling or place of business;
    (8) a person:
    (A) who is regularly engaged in newsgathering activities;
    (B) who is employed by a newspaper qualified to receive

legal advertisements under IC 5-3-1, a wire service, or a licensed commercial or public radio or television station; and
    (C) whose name is furnished by his employer to the chief executive officer of a law enforcement agency in the county in which the employer's principal office is located;
    (9) a person engaged in the business of manufacturing or selling police radios; or
    (10) a person who possesses or uses a police radio during the normal course of the person's lawful business.

(c) As used in this section, "police radio" means a radio that is capable of sending or receiving signals transmitted on frequencies assigned by the Federal Communications Commission for police emergency purposes and that:
    (1) can be installed, maintained, or operated in a vehicle; or
    (2) can be operated while it is being carried by an individual.

The term does not include a radio designed for use only in a dwelling.

As added by Acts 1977, P.L.342, SEC.1. Amended by P.L.162-1994, SEC.1.

Last edited:

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    The licence is worth it for the ability to listen in the car.

I have two radios on the go usually park one on the local PD and the other one scans depending on where I am.

My Uniden BCT-15 has the ability to connect to a GPS and automatically select and deselect agencies and "banks" depending on location. So driving along US30 to Valpo from Schererville you can set it to de-select Schererville PD as you pass Pine Island and switch in Merrillville and at I-65 it will de-select MPD and switch in Hobart etc. etc.

Pretty cool... if you're a geek.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    The licence is worth it for the ability to listen in the car.

I understand what you are saying but removing the licensing requirement is the better solution for anyone that wants to have a scanner in their vehicle (or on their person). It's hard to believe that Illinois has better statutes in regard to scanners. :rolleyes:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    That's good to know ... time to get the law changed!

heck no lets make more felons instead.

:ugh::facepalm::bowdown: and that is why I am not a math major...

So long as you know how dead horses heads to leave behind, how much "protection money" to bring back, and how many more votes we need to stuff the ballot boxes all is good. :D

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I understand what you are saying but removing the licensing requirement is the better solution for anyone that wants to have a scanner in their vehicle (or on their person). It's hard to believe that Illinois has better statutes in regard to scanners. :rolleyes:

It's for officer safety! Do you want all the thugs to be able to know what the 5-0 is saying? Clearly you have no compassion or regard for LEOs. You would rather have dead cops cause the BGs can hear them on the scanners then to protect them. See people that is why we can NOT vote for WD.

--whispers--
    But won't BG just use the scanner without obeying the law? :dunno:

---end whisper--
    ssssshhhhhh!!! The :sheep: don't need to know that!

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    "Darn it! I was going to rob this bank and use this scanner to assist my escape but this stupid law will not allow me to have a scanner in my car! :xmad: What do I do with the rest of my day now? Might as well go get my LTCH renewed."

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell

Ah, sorry. Misunderstood you. Yeah I agree, its stupid.

Even the UK allows you to use carry and install a scanner in your car. They just limit what you're legally allowed to listen to (amateur radio, CB, broadcast radio).

BTW.. No LTCH in the mail again for me today... So I won't be OCing at Starbux.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Ah, sorry. Misunderstood you. Yeah I agree, its stupid.

Even the UK allows you to use carry and install a scanner in your car. They just limit what you're legally allowed to listen to (amateur radio, CB, broadcast radio).

BTW.. No LTCH in the mail again for me today... So I won't be OCing at Starbux.

Reminds me, I need to check that thread ... hmm, it's around here somewhere. Wife and I will be out and about tomorrow. Have to check and see what time people plan on dropping in ... and where.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    "Darn it! I was going to rob this bank and use this scanner to assist my escape but this stupid law will not allow me to have a scanner in my car! :xmad: What do I do with the rest of my day now? Might as well go get my LTCH renewed."

:faint:
    That is why you get some other f00l to be the driver and have him use his scanner. Mad you need to go back to criminal 101. :D

Have fun at starb... tomorrow!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Man, I'm glad I'm moving to south of 30 next week. Jedi always leaves me out of the fun things. Maybe I can go bunker down at melansdad's and keep you north of 30 ganstas out!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom