Not open for further replies.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I can make this thread really good if we talk about storing propane under your house in a unapproved cylinder. I will bring the hotdogs. :)

Ooooohhhh now this I wanna hear about. Quick post it before the Fire Marshal *cough* WD *cough* comes and spanks us for it. :D
    Did your mom not let you play with matches when you were young? Is that why you want to know blow yourself up? Or have you being hanging around the englishman too much and now want to die as well.

No. I know exactly what he went through.

But I took his post, edited down the relevant portion, and replied to it because I honestly don't know how useful it really would be to be a HAM operator in a SHTF situation.

Guess it depends on what type of SHTF we have.
    Short term = power outage after storm for 2 days. Meh why bother.
    Med term = blizzard of 1978 (1 week snowed in). Might come in handy to be able to listen to what roads (if any) may be cleared, contact others in area to determine if you can help each other out (ie. Me to magic man or t_star's father or sam (highland) who are about the closest to me < 5 miles).
    Lomg term = well any skill is useful then. :D

It's not a NEED per say as knowing how to grown your own food I think would be higher than this one. But still a nice set of skills to have (just in case).

For me I want to be a jack of all trades and master of none.

I look at having a ham licence (and more importantly the skills to operate) as another tool in my arsenal (heh I said arse).

If you look at shows like Walking Dead most of the time they're using CB radios or old police radios. These folks are just button pushers. They don't know how to operate anything aside from a push to talk switch.

If they had an HF radio or even something a little more fancy than a walkie talkie they could probably organise something bigger than just a rag tag bunch of folks.

I would say you don't NEED ham radio skills in a SHTF scenario (zombies, nuclear war, solar flare etc.) but for something smaller like extreme weather events, large fires etc. they come in real useful for information gathering (knowledge is power) and organising help/escape.

EDIT: If "we" were more organised as a society with more MSGs, you would have a couple/few skilled radio operators in each one and be able to maintain contact with other groups.

If there was a SHTF scenario where there was still some society operating (ie: red cross reception centres etc) you could have HF comms between the different ones in various counties.

Right now I think it's all too spread out and not organised enough.

^This for long term.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell

Saw that one in the paper.

It's sort of the woman's fault too... but not everyone knows the law (some LEOs don't either). In Indiana you either have to be in a fully marked police car in plain clothes or uniform, or in an unmarked police car in uniform to pull someone over.

She also just got out and let them search her vehicle without questioning it.

Personally if a dodgy looking crown vic tried to pull me over I'd call 911. I've seen a few unmarked cars and unless they're doing surveillance work they all look like police cars. Usually have a spot light in the A-pillar, antennas on the back, professionally installed lights, and they're usually taken care of.

State police have a few unmarked black chargers that I've seen. Bloody obvious that they're SP.

Schererville has two dark (possibly black) older model Impalas with sequential licence plates. I chuckled to myself when I saw them.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I am very shocked about these two idiots have not got caught yet . That is one of the most heavily patrolled areas by state police. Every time I go back and forth through there during the day and night you at least see four or five cops through there between I 65 and the state line. It shouldn't be to long to catch these idiots.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I am very shocked about these two idiots have not got caught yet . That is one of the most heavily patrolled areas by state police. Every time I go back and forth through there during the day and night you at least see four or five cops through there between I 65 and the state line. It shouldn't be to long to catch these idiots.

I use 80/94 a lot lately between US41 and Ripley in LS, and only cops I've ever seen are the unmarked ones in their Chargers. Maybe I've been lucky.

My radar detector pings a lot but I heard that SP use LIDAR more than RADAR.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    EDIT: If "we" were more organised as a society with more MSGs, you would have a couple/few skilled radio operators in each one and be able to maintain contact with other groups.

If there was a SHTF scenario where there was still some society operating (ie: red cross reception centres etc) you could have HF comms between the different ones in various counties.

Right now I think it's all too spread out and not organised enough.
    And for those of us "south of 30 people" who are spread out then I think it will come down to neighbor helping neighbor.

No matter how much Jedi wants to help me, the reality is that you north of 30 gangsta won't be leaving da hood to run down to the rural areas where we have lots of guns. Leave da hood and your homes will be ransacked because there will be nobody left to defend them from da inner city zombie types.

Those of us with gardens, rivers, and lands, well we'll probably block off our roads and not let you in while we band together.

So not really sure how a Ham radio will work with a wide area MSG. Seems like the MSGs will form out of proximity . . . just like they did in areas when Katrina hit. There were neighbors who blocked off whole neighborhoods and protected them from 'outsiders' and it was all proximity and need based.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    And for those of us "south of 30 people" who are spread out then I think it will come down to neighbor helping neighbor.

No matter how much Jedi wants to help me, the reality is that you north of 30 gangsta won't be leaving da hood to run down to the rural areas where we have lots of guns. Leave da hood and your homes will be ransacked because there will be nobody left to defend them from da inner city zombie types.

Those of us with gardens, rivers, and lands, well we'll probably block off our roads and not let you in while we band together.

So not really sure how a Ham radio will work with a wide area MSG. Seems like the MSGs will form out of proximity . . . just like they did in areas when Katrina hit. There were neighbors who blocked off whole neighborhoods and protected them from 'outsiders' and it was all proximity and need based.

Did someone not give melensdad the memo? :dunno:
    We planning on using your house as the rally point while all us NORTH of US-30 leave before the zombies from Chicago arrive. From there we will caravan south to a location that will be be told at a later date. ;)

It's a 3 hour drive so pack all your stuff peeps!

Agree melensdad that I can't possible help you as you are too far south.
    HAM Radio for you would be more in line to get info from outside the area.
    (ie. TV/radio down after chicago has mushroom cloud)

For us closer together that are indeed within wlaking distance it could form a lifeline for us while we either bunker down or leave again depending on what it is we are dealing with.

I know that lonehoosier will be lighting all his propane before he goes. :laugh:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Did someone not give melensdad the memo? :dunno:
    We planning on using your house as the rally point while all us NORTH of US-30 leave before the zombies from Chicago arrive. From there we will caravan south to a location that will be be told at a later date. ;)

It's a 3 hour drive so pack all your stuff peeps!

Agree melensdad that I can't possible help you as you are too far south.
    HAM Radio for you would be more in line to get info from outside the area.
    (ie. TV/radio down after chicago has mushroom cloud)

For us closer together that are indeed within wlaking distance it could form a lifeline for us while we either bunker down or leave again depending on what it is we are dealing with.

I know that lonehoosier will be lighting all his propane before he goes. :laugh:[/QUOTE

If I die I can't take it with me right

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Agree melensdad that I can't possible help you as you are too far
    And that is my point.

For many of us we will simply hunker down and figure things out locally. I'm fortunate to live in a semi-remote area well outside of the city limits of even the closest small towns. One road in . . . could be easily blocked off and defended by me/my neighbors. River to the west with only farm fields for as FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE. Deep woods to the east. Woods and creeks to the south. Both west and south are other small neighborhoods with only 1 road in. I suspect they will block their roads too. Farms around all of this with long sight lines.

Each of the 3 remote neighborhoods that exist, all bordering each other, have only 1 road, and each has roughly 15 to 30 homes. I expect that we will be able to hold out pretty easily IF we simply block our roads and arm the entrances.

That is a lot harder to do in the suburbs like St John, Dyer, Griffith, etc. Probably impossible.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom