• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Sittin' at work after hours last night and saw some of the postings about fuel storage. :rolleyes:

There's a lot more to consider in the plastic vs. metal debate besides which one lasts longer. I hope you gents aren't storing any of this fuel in plastic containers within an attached structure. That is a recipe for disaster. In the event of a fire, plastic container failure can and will change the outcome dramatically. There are container size considerations vs. rate of usage and the amount of container headspace allowed. There are laws/ordinances regarding the transport of flammable liquids and a patchwork of selective enforcement. Google the stuff.

The ideal set up would involve self venting metal cans (prefer w/spark and flame arrestor) stored inside a flammable safety storage cabinet. I know the stuff ain't cheap but it's worth not watching the fireball ripping through your (hopefully unoccupied) house. At the very least, make sure your plastic containers are self venting and stored away from inhabited structures.

Just some suggestions ... take em or leave em. ;)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Sittin' at work after hours last night and saw some of the postings about fuel storage. :rolleyes:

There's a lot more to consider in the plastic vs. metal . . .

And, among other reasons not listed, your post illustrates some key reasons why I have a tri-fuel generator connected to the Natural Gas line. The only gasoline I store is a small amount for the lawn equipment.

Now diesel, which is far more stable and far less flammable and does not have explosive vapors . . . I have about 1000 gallons of that stuff in real storage tanks.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    And, among other reasons not listed, your post illustrates some key reasons why I have a tri-fuel generator connected to the Natural Gas line. The only gasoline I store is a small amount for the lawn equipment.

Now diesel, which is far more stable and far less flammable and does not have explosive vapors . . . I have about 1000 gallons of that stuff in real storage tanks.

+1 on all the stuff I left out!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

There's a lot more to consider in the plastic vs. metal debate besides which one lasts longer. I hope you gents aren't storing any of this fuel in plastic containers within an attached structure. That is a recipe for disaster. In the event of a fire, plastic container failure can and will change the outcome dramatically. There are container size considerations vs. rate of usage and the amount of container headspace allowed. There are laws/ordinances regarding the transport of flammable liquids and a patchwork of selective enforcement. Google the stuff.

The ideal set up would involve self venting metal cans (prefer w/spark and flame arrestor) stored inside a flammable safety storage cabinet. I know the stuff ain't cheap but it's worth not watching the fireball ripping through your (hopefully unoccupied) house. At the very least, make sure your plastic containers are self venting and stored away from inhabited structures.

Ssssssooooo when can we all go to your house & light the match to see a demo of what will occur. We choose you since off course you are a St. John resident. :rockwoot:

I don't think lone was thinking of storing 1 obamaillion gallons of gasoline just a few trillion.

obamaillion is the new unit of measure since the US Debt is going out of control.
    :D

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    WD and MD make really good points about storing gas. Common sense should be used. You should use approved gas can containers. I don't see any difference store a pickup and a car that combined *holds 50 gallons or more in its approved gas tank then an approved five gallon gas can. Like I said common sense should be used. The way that I do it is a inexpensive way of bing prepare for a power outage. I hope some day that I can do it the way MD has his setup but for now this will need to work.*

I did find this on craigslist for water storage. ***55 GALLON BARRELS**

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I don't think lone was thinking of storing 1 obamaillion gallons of gasoline just a few trillion.

obamaillion is the new unit of measure since the US Debt is going out of control. :D

It doesn't matter if you are storing 1 gallon or 1 Obamamillion gallons of gasoline, proper storage should be a top priority. You owe it to yourself, your family, and neighbors. If you think 1 gallon isn't much, pour out 1 gallon on the pavement and light it with a match (BTW, not legal, not recommended, and definitely not safe ... you'll need eyebrow transplants). You will be amazed at just how much heat a little gallon of gasoline can unleash.

What's with the harshin' on St. John?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    What's with the harshin' on St. John?

You people! :rolleyes:
    Remind me not to allow you to be our safety officer when the zombies come.
    You would have us wear the proper gear, ground the fuel barrels, etc... all the time the zombies are overrunning our position.
    :D

Like I said St. John should become one 1 DNR range for us North of US-30 folks. We promise not to auto-fire.

@lone
    Nice find on the barrels! There is a guy in Elmwood Park, IL who also have those barrels (food grade) for $10 as well but alas that is a 45 mile drive (1 way) vs the 23 miles for this guy.

Hum.. another barrel run in the future perhaps?

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

So when r u going 2 come 2 da MEET & SHOOT so we can finally put a face 2 da name?

:)

I met him, twice! :D The first time he truck-stalked me & the second time was at the meet & eat. Stop hiding from us South of 30 rednecks, Jedi! {purple where appropiate, using my phone)

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I met him, twice! :D The first time he truck-stalked me & the second time was at the meet & eat. Stop hiding from us South of 30 rednecks, Jedi! {purple where appropiate, using my phone)

Oh t_star I hide from you cause I know you have one of these in your car.
    obama-smells.jpg

since you visit his town every day. ;)

BTW how was your train? I took the 3:15 and it was packed! Seems like everyone was trying to rush home before the snow. & so far it's been a joke of a snowfall. :(

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    you takin out the truck for some donuts tonight?

Nope, 'member she's babied! I'm hoping to have her Tuesday. :D

Oh t_star I hide from you cause I know you have one of these in your car.

since you visit his town every day. ;)

BTW how was your train? I took the 3:15 and it was packed! Seems like everyone was trying to rush home before the snow. & so far it's been a joke of a snowfall. :(

If I had one of those in my car it'd have bullet holes in it! ;)
    I was on the 5:10, it wasn't terrible. Sat in the first car vestibule to avoid most if the people tho.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I was on the 5:10, it wasn't terrible. Sat in the first car vestibule to avoid most if the people tho.

"you people" :rolleyes: Find a seat and stop blocking the flow out the doors!
    We had to stop the train twice at Hammond since all the EC people were up and the Hammond people could not get out. :laugh:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom