• Status
    Not open for further replies.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    We had an 08 tdi in the shop e few weeks ago, injection pump died, $11,000 to replace it!! Yes, that is $11,000!! They towed to VW, even if we wanted to replace it for them , it takes a lot of specialty tools we don't have. Car had just over 120k on it.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    We had an 08 tdi in the shop e few weeks ago, injection pump died, $11,000 to replace it!! Yes, that is $11,000!! They towed to VW, even if we wanted to replace it for them , it takes a lot of specialty tools we don't have. Car had just over 120k on it.

My repair experience is that it helps to find a local shop that deals with German cars. I have 2 shops that I deal with, both do repairs for anywhere between 10% and 50% of the price quotes I've gotten from the VW service centers, depending upon what needs to be done. Most of the work gets done for about 30% of the price quote (not 30% off, but 30% of).

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My repair experience is that it helps to find a local shop that deals with German cars. I have 2 shops that I deal with, both do repairs for anywhere between 10% and 50% of the price quotes I've gotten from the VW service centers, depending upon what needs to be done. Most of the work gets done for about 30% of the price quote (not 30% off, but 30% of).
    That's my experience for the most part with the BMW. Dealer brake job: $2000, Alternative mechanic familiar with the cars: $600

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI

I totaled my TDI when I hit a rock in the road that struck the oil pan. They gave me $10,000 for it, and quoted almost $13,000 to fix it.

A guy on a TDI forum used to work on mine for me. His cost was generally about 20% of what the dealer quoted, and he did top notch work.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    That's my experience for the most part with the BMW. Dealer brake job: $2000, Alternative mechanic familiar with the cars: $600

Yup.

I had a quote of something like $2000 for a new set of brakes on my daughter's Jet
    Levin Tire quoted me roughly $800 (I was getting tires so I had them quote it)
    My guy did it for under $500

Foreign cars:
    => while under warranty take them to the dealer for the warranty repairs.
    => after warranty find "your guy" to do the same work for pennies on the dollar.​

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Yup.

I had a quote of something like $2000 for a new set of brakes on my daughter's Jet
    Levin Tire quoted me roughly $800 (I was getting tires so I had them quote it)
    My guy did it for under $500

Foreign cars:
    => while under warranty take them to the dealer for the warranty repairs.
    => after warranty find "your guy" to do the same work for pennies on the dollar.​
    shocked levin was that low, worked there over 15 years, used to be a fair/honest place until the new GM took over in 01 or so. cannot believe they gavebt made Fox News or 20/20 for their theiving ways now, unbelieveable how bad they've gotten. Tire prices are unbeatable, service prices are astronomical and they are the kings of selling you stuff you need in no way shape or form. I made a ton of money there, but morals took over. Karma will get em eventually. Any decent tech has left there, they go thru mechanics like fast food service goes thru workers.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Oh, FWIW, the Mercedes Benz dealer wanted about $330 to add 5 gallons of "AdBlue" (5% urea + distilled water). The breakdown on that was about $250 for the fluid, $80 for labor, bottle disposal, etc.

AutoZone sells Prestone compatible urea fluid, warranted to be 100% compatible for all brands of modern diesel engines, for about $7.75 a gallon. So the fluid is under $40 including sales tax. You can add it yourself. Its not much different than adding windshield solvent, except the caps on most of the urea tanks need to be spun off instead of flipped open. Even Jedi could do it. Well, probably. :rolleyes:

shocked levin was that low, worked there over 15 years, used to be a fair/honest place until the new GM took over in 01 or so. cannot believe they gavebt made Fox News or 20/20 for their theiving ways now, unbelieveable how bad they've gotten. Tire prices are unbeatable, service prices are astronomical and they are the kings of selling you stuff you need in no way shape or form. I made a ton of money there, but morals took over. Karma will get em eventually. Any decent tech has left there, they go thru mechanics like fast food service goes thru workers.
    Honestly I used to LOVE Levin in Highland.

Not so much the last few years. Last couple experiences have been FAR LESS than satisfactory.

Finally finished reloading 100 rounds of....
    Been working on this since 12.2013!!!!
    Buy a progressive press. :ugh:

Oh, and I think Andy wanted to see photos. I'm going to hold off on photos of the exterior until I get the windows tinted. But I'll let you peek at some of the woodwork, which is exceptional if I do say so myself. I love this wood. Its Ash.
    image-1_zps62d9712a.jpg

Last edited:

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Anybody available to torque my butt stock and free float on wed or later this week, or have the tools I can borrow shoot me a PM.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Literately....

Lowendgen almost sold me another one while I was there too.... but at last my cash flow kept me from buying....

Let me know when you think your going to go and maybe I can make time..... always love sending lead down range....

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    heck yeah. sounds good. my fiance and i go once every 4-5 weeks on a weekday morning. our son is at school and the range is generally pretty open. this past tuesday the left side was full by 10am. i've gone there on a weekend or a weekday evening and seen a group of people waiting to get in while i was shopping at the store. obviously this area needs another public range

hd96heritage

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2014
    Wheat-tucky
    at the gun show last week a vendor had a used keltec s2000 chambered in glock 9mm g17 mags. i couldn't believe it. he wanted $425 for it. i have been wanting that particular gun for quite a while now and rarely do i see a sub2k and when i do it's either not the glock or 9mm chamering. i could have probably got it for 400. i put it down and have been regreting that ever since. i don't really want to actually spend the money on one right now but i really want one. i see them on the gunbroker nib going for $600. way over msrp. blythes has one on reserve for me if they ever can get one ordered for $400. the last couple days i have been thinking about posting on the classifieds on here and fb seeing if anyone has one and how much they want and if interested in a trade for my sks. but i'm really afraid i may regret that decision later. i like my sks but i never ever shoot it. not in 5 years. but that doesn't mean it holds no value to me. i would hate to get rid of it as you just can't get them anymore like you used to. and i'm also afraid i may change my mind about the s2k. what if it's not all it's cracked up to be in my head.....

maybe i should have just got it that day.. arg!:nuts:

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Here you go..... have it sent to Matt down at www.front2enemy.com as he charges 20 bucks for the transfer....

KELTEC SUB2000 9MM GLOCK 17 -NIB- NO RESERVE : Semi Auto Pistols at GunBroker.com

Ask anyone that knows me I hate to sell anything..... it's a addiction and I'm not looking for away to break it....

Let me know and we can meet up over there or maybe hit a outdoor if you want...

I love the pistol carbines for indoor season, I have the Beretta 92 pistol and the Storm carbine to go with it along with a couple levers in 38/357 that are a absolute blast to play with....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom