Not open for further replies.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Just got home from my first 3-11. Found out yesterday that INGO member Miketodd works in the same department, and tonight he was the one training me.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Anyone ever been on a cruise?
    Did you like it? Not like it?
    Any recommendations, things to avoid?
    When is off-peak season for these type of things?

Recently, yes.
    Loved it.
    Take a cheap clock and a power strip.

Drink packages are great if you drink a lot, and very convenient.

We cruised on Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas, and I believe Kristen is on Enchantment of the Seas right now.

See if you can sign up for the email flyers from them and they have good deals, or book through an agent and you can usually get a couple hundred bucks in your account or a free excursion or something.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Anyone ever been on a cruise?
    Did you like it? Not like it?
    Any recommendations, things to avoid?
    When is off-peak season for these type of things?
    Only one and never again - did a Princess Cruise last year. I don't like being captive on someone else's schedule. If your in port from 8 to 4 you have to plan accordingly. On vacation I want to be on my schedule. I suit up for work with certain customers. I don't wear a jacket on a boat to dine with the captain. 3000 people on board - even if the ********* ratio is 10%, that's a lot of *********s. The ratio increases with the length of the cruise. Food was great, accommodations acceptable. Better off at a nice resort IMO.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Pick one that doesn't break down, and that doesn't infect all its passengers with some terrible illness. Also make sure it doesn't sink.

:faint: that is no help but then again it's bra man giving advise. ;)

Only one and never again - did a Princess Cruise last year. I don't like being captive on someone else's schedule. If your in port from 8 to 4 you have to plan accordingly. On vacation I want to be on my schedule. I suit up for work with certain customers. I don't wear a jacket on a boat to dine with the captain. 3000 people on board - even if the ********* ratio is 10%, that's a lot of *********s. The ratio increases with the length of the cruise. Food was great, accommodations acceptable. Better off at a nice resort IMO.

Thanks and thank you clif for your post.
    For s&g I looked up a disney cruise leaving out of FL for 7 days and :wow: for a family of 5 it's close to 8K not including airfare.
    Hum.. I'm better off going to Disney (FL) for much less then that!
    I think for now I'll skip that whole cruise idea unless my unicorn demands it. :rofl:

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    A few people I had talked to on my last cruise had stated that disney was nice, but that Royal was very nice for the kids. A few different kids pools, an arcade, and different characters were still roaming the floors. They might not have been Disney characters, but all kids love Shrek... just something to think about. But still pricey with 5 people. Maybe try looking at a suite so you dont have to get as many rooms?

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I always thought the idea of a cruise sounded miserable. I like exploring, not being stuck on some crappy boat with them telling me where to go and when.

My wife went on one before we were married and said it felt more like going to a ****ty job than a vacation.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    Honestly I felt no rush. The only thing that I HAD to do was the muster drill and that took about an hour of my time. Other than that I could do whatever I wanted on the ship, and could go to and from port whenever I wanted. The only time I got bored on the ship is when I got to feeling a bit uneasy after eating way too much for dinner. Not much to do in your room. Other than that there was nothing that was really planned by the cruise ship and the only thing that was mandatory was the muster. Dressing up is not required for all meals, just a polo and nicer pants. I bought a Blackhawk polo from LAPG on closeout and wore my normal 5.11 pants that I wear everywhere. You can dress all tacticool and not have any problems.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I always thought the idea of a cruise sounded miserable. I like exploring, not being stuck on some crappy boat with them telling me where to go and when.

My wife went on one before we were married and said it felt more like going to a ****ty job than a vacation.

Been on several aircraft carriers and never felt like I had explored the whole thing in the week I was on them.
    So the "being stuck on a ship" is not a concern for me.
    But ya have reinforced the thinking I had prior that a cruise is just not worth it.

Have you or someone you know done the ALS challenge. Perhaps you should read this.

ALS Ice Bucket Challenge: Do You Know What You Are Supporting? | Health Impact News

:nono:
    Had not done it
    Have no interest in doing it
    No posting about it.

Jedi thinks its rather stu****

BTW some comedian/actor did the "bullet challenge" a few days ago. :facepalm:
    A few people I had talked to on my last cruise had stated that disney was nice, but that Royal was very nice for the kids. A few different kids pools, an arcade, and different characters were still roaming the floors. They might not have been Disney characters, but all kids love Shrek... just something to think about. But still pricey with 5 people. Maybe try looking at a suite so you dont have to get as many rooms?

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Actually here is my concept of donating to any of these causes to find a cure.... It's just feeding a business built on having a problem to cure. I stopped donating to the diabetes Association years ago even though I have diabetes. The money just goes to pay the ceo and employees of the foundation and they just tell the person with the issue to pay the Doctors and the Pharmaceutical companies for the band-aide they have found to keep you alive but yet not cure the disease.

You would think if a society's science base has already mapped the human genome and conducted successful cloning of animals and organs that they surely can cure most of these diseases already. Unfortunately these is a large business built on not curing anything and keeping people alive using a product that this business can sell for great profits over and over again. Great business plan, huge profits, terrible concept though as people have to suffer through the day to day survival of these diseases to let someone else make money.... Well that is my concept on it... What they really need to do is take the money out of treating these conditions and force the medical field to release the cures that they are sitting on to actually make money.... Not going to happen though as it is a big business and they want their money....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom