• Status
    Not open for further replies.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    What the heck is this? Found it by the new ball fields in CP.
    20140819_151409_zpsd6vc5bev.jpg

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I was just offered a job with Republic Services at there call center. Now what do I do?

I can either be a Sales & Social Media Marketing Coordinator at $12/hr with no benefits except: One week paid vacation, and after a year 7 paid holidays,and all weekends off... But with 2% commission on everything I sell, where I get my own desk, computer, phone, nice chair, good office environment. Also 5 miles closer to home than the other job. And what I think will be a more rewarding career. With the overtime, I would also make more money up front with this job. Also this job has a much more impressive job title, that will look much much better on my resume.

OR

I can be a Customer Service Associate at $12/hr with benefits, 401k, starting with 2 weeks paid vacation a year, sick days, personal days. From what I was told, there is the possibility of a supervisory role after a year or so. But it seems like it will be must less rewarding, and definitely will not look as good on a resume. And yet, you can't argue with the benefits, because from what I was told, they really are great benefits. And there is room to grow within this company.

I don't know what to do. Both jobs seem pretty equal.

Go with the one that has benefits. That's what I would do.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I was just offered a job with Republic Services at there call center. Now what do I do?

I can either be a Sales & Social Media Marketing Coordinator at $12/hr with no benefits except: One week paid vacation, and after a year 7 paid holidays,and all weekends off... But with 2% commission on everything I sell, where I get my own desk, computer, phone, nice chair, good office environment. Also 5 miles closer to home than the other job. And what I think will be a more rewarding career. With the overtime, I would also make more money up front with this job. Also this job has a much more impressive job title, that will look much much better on my resume.

OR

I can be a Customer Service Associate at $12/hr with benefits, 401k, starting with 2 weeks paid vacation a year, sick days, personal days. From what I was told, there is the possibility of a supervisory role after a year or so. But it seems like it will be must less rewarding, and definitely will not look as good on a resume. And yet, you can't argue with the benefits, because from what I was told, they really are great benefits. And there is room to grow within this company.

Which company is more stable and has a longer history?

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    What the heck is this? Found it by the new ball fields in CP.
    20140819_151409_zpsd6vc5bev.jpg

that's the military vehicle museum, mark(gunbunnies) does a lot of his photoshoots there. it's free (they accept donations) and it's awesome!! most day's Les will take you for a ride in an APV or maybe a tank, great great guy's there. check it out!!!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

OR

You need to think bigger picture. What do you want for a career? Does either job lead you towards that career? If not, I would take the benefits.

Titles are worthless. It is about what you do, not what they call you while you do it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Playing devil's advocate here, Sadclown. It sounds like this job is more of a stepping stone, so if it will help you get where you ultimately want to be better or faster, the one with the better title might be the way you should go.

But benefits are important. And a job is a job.

So. :dunno:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    You need to think bigger picture. What do you want for a career? Does either job lead you towards that career? If not, I would take the benefits.

Titles are worthless. It is about what you do, not what they call you while you do it.

Gray's Green Energy I would at least be in sales, which I like. There is just no place I can go from there within that company. With Republic, there is the opportunity to grow with it.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Benefits, benefits, benefits. A 401(k) that has some percentage matched is huge. Not only is it the smart move for retirement and tax purposes, but it also provides the ability to borrow from oneself in a time of need, and can even be used toward the purchase of a home, often without penalty.

Of course there is a lot to consider before taking anything out of a 401(k), but having the option is certainly nice.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom