jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks all for the advise and info.
    Sadly in this town we can not discharge a weapon or bow and arrow or bb gun.
    In addition there is an oridance against keeping wild life and,or transporting a dead or alive wild life.
    :faint:

I never heard back from dnr regarding if it was ok to take a raccoon to a state park, forest or kill it.
    No point now.
    Btw pest control will be sending it to heaven/hell after capture.

So short is jedi won't be getting his hands dirty for this event.
    Just carry that my anmo money takes a hit.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN

***IMPORTANT ADVICE REGARDING CITY RACCOON***

Type of a advice: URGENT

While Raccoon is a tasty and nutritious treat, one must take certain steps to improve the flavor of Raccoons which are from urban areas. While this advice pertains mainly to "Urban" Raccoons, it is also helpful to rural raccoons also. When hunting, trapping, catching raccoons for consumption. It is advisable to trap/catch the raccoon alive. Contain said raccoon in a large dog crate and feed a diet of fresh grains for 2-4 weeks, 4 weeks is best, with plenty of fresh water daily. Some red wine daily, in the week before slaughter and processing of raccoon is advisable. By doing so, and following these steps you will flush out all the artificial flavoring that has been digested by Raccoon. After said Raccoon is prepped, slaughtered, and processed; any of the above mentioned recipes will suffice. Enjoy your healthy, nutritious, and tasty meal.

Bon-apitite.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Sry bob but mbm (My Babies Mamma) decided to hire Pest Control out of highland to
    1) trap and take away your pet
    2) repair the damage to the roof
    3) install guards on the down spouts and exhsust vents

So your traps were not picked up just the grill.
    Currently there is a trap with food on the roof.
    It will not tap the racoon tonight. They want the racoon to get use to the trap.
    On Monday they still set it to trap him.
    They think it's only one but will continue to monitor for 10 days after the first one is caught before they do the repair n seal work.
    So what you are telling us is that your wife is the one that runs the household as well as the family and all other matters. That you have no say in anything.....

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I'm pretty much a "figure it out for myself" kind of person, and I hate to ask for help with anything. I did ask when it came to how to operate the gun because that was a safety issue. The sighting and aiming I had pretty well figured out by the end.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

Type of a advice: URGENT

While Raccoon is a tasty and nutritious treat, one must take certain steps to improve the flavor of Raccoons which are from urban areas. While this advice pertains mainly to "Urban" Raccoons, it is also helpful to rural raccoons also. When hunting, trapping, catching raccoons for consumption. It is advisable to trap/catch the raccoon alive. Contain said raccoon in a large dog crate and feed a diet of fresh grains for 2-4 weeks, 4 weeks is best, with plenty of fresh water daily. Some red wine daily, in the week before slaughter and processing of raccoon is advisable. By doing so, and following these steps you will flush out all the artificial flavoring that has been digested by Raccoon. After said Raccoon is prepped, slaughtered, and processed; any of the above mentioned recipes will suffice. Enjoy your healthy, nutritious, and tasty meal.

Bon-apitite.

Seems like sage advice. Animals tend to taste like what they dine on. I'm sure Jedi's trash bin is full of half eaten Legos, knawed upon Barbie dolls and the occasional rotted left-over perogie.

While I'm sure racoon will tatse like chicken i have no desire to eat this racoon.

uh, no it does not!

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Raccoon has an earthy, and slightly gamey taste. While it may have similarities between dark meat chicken or turkey... It is greasier, and a lot more tender. But throw a properly prepped, slaughtered, and cleaned raccoon in a pan surrounded by some sweet potatoes and bake it... That right there is some good eats. Don't even get me started on some raccoon shiscabobs, delectable.... Mmmm, mmm, good.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Wife threw me a surprise 30th party last night at Safe House. Had all my family and neighbors there. Good food and lots of drinks flowing!! I felt like the beer was going down like water, but apparently she thought it more so. So here I sit feelingfine while she's napping with a hangover.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    So Friday I got my well fixed. I also added a brand new water softener, the old unit I had was rented and was quite prehistoric and used 2 bags of salt a week. This new unit should go through about 1-2 bags of salt a month. I also added a whole house filter, I went with a Whirlpool unit that looks like a mini softener, I opted for it because there's no filters to change, and it's supposed to regenerate itself as needed to clean out all the gunk it collects. It's supposed to be good for 10 years. I've read good reviews on it, so decided to go with something that is sort of set and forget. Two days after installing and flushing water through the systems as recommended, I must say that the well water from my tap, tastes better then any bottled water I've ever tried.

Very pleased with the new softener and addition of the whole house filter. And it was much more affordable then I thought it would be. The filter I bought is on sale at lowes until the end of this month.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Just remember to CHECK that filter every month. Depending on your water, you may need to change is every 30 days, or maybe every 90 or even 120. What I find is that my whole house filters are typically good for about 45 days. But a lot of that depends upon how much water has been used. Extra laundry and showers because Melen is home from college, maybe every 30 days in the summer, but while she is away at school it may drop to every 45 -to- 60 days between filter changes. I have a lot of iron and sentiment in my well so filtering is REQUIRED.

Oh, if anyone wants to join me, I'll be heading up to the cigar lounge about 3pm today.

Before that I'll be visiting the hardware store to buy a new compound miter saw (old one is good enough for construction, but its been banged around too many times and no longer is good for finish carpentry) and a bunch of poplar boards to do some trim work for some remodeling we are doing.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Just remember to CHECK that filter every month. Depending on your water, you may need to change is every 30 days, or maybe every 90 or even 120. What I find is that my whole house filters are typically good for about 45 days. But a lot of that depends upon how much water has been used. Extra laundry and showers because Melen is home from college, maybe every 30 days in the summer, but while she is away at school it may drop to every 45 -to- 60 days between filter changes. I have a lot of iron and sentiment in my well so filtering is REQUIRED.

Oh, if anyone wants to join me, I'll be heading up to the cigar lounge about 3pm today.

Before that I'll be visiting the hardware store to buy a new compound miter saw (old one is good enough for construction, but its been banged around too many times and no longer is good for finish carpentry) and a bunch of poplar boards to do some trim work for some remodeling we are doing.
    We also have a LOT of iron. I have to change my filter every 2-3 weeks.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    This filter has no filters to change. It cleans itself. It talks about chlorine, but reviews I've seen said it does a good job on well water issues. For the iron in my water I use the green bag of salt and that does help to remove most if not all of it. I have the well setup as well, pressure tank, water softener, whole house filter, then cold and hot water heater.

ill give it a few mons before I write it off as an awesome product, but right now, I'm loving my water.

heres the filter I went with.

Shop Whirlpool Whole House Water Filtration System at Lowes.com

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Now that I think about it I may add a sediment filter to the mix.

Go from well, to pressure tank, to sediment filter, to water softener, to whole house filter, to house. I'll look those up and maybe add that to the mix next weekend. Try to prolong the life of my water cleaning appliances.

i do have to say, the water looks, smells and tastes great. I filled a glass of water and left it on the table for 30 minutes and it's still crystal clear. It used to turn orange after a few minutes.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    This filter has no filters to change. It cleans itself. It talks about chlorine, but reviews I've seen said it does a good job on well water issues. For the iron in my water I use the green bag of salt and that does help to remove most if not all of it. I have the well setup as well, pressure tank, water softener, whole house filter, then cold and hot water heater.

ill give it a few mons before I write it off as an awesome product, but right now, I'm loving my water.

heres the filter I went with.

Shop Whirlpool Whole House Water Filtration System at Lowes.com
    Interesting system.

I couldn't find the micron particle size that is filtered out. I use a standard cartridge system and 20 micron particle filters. If I forget to change them they tend to sludge up with something that looks like rusted iron & clay!

I have my system set up: WELL => Pressure Tank => FILTER => Softener => house.

We also have a LOT of iron. I have to change my filter every 2-3 weeks.

There are only 2 people in my house 9 months each year, 3 during the summer. So our water usage is pretty moderate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom