Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Going to elaborate?

The job fair was supposed to be from 1:00-4:00. I got there at 12:15 and the line was wrapped around the Genesis Center twice. I could not find the end of it, so I stopped looking when I ran into Sadclown and his GF. Over the next 2.5 hours we stood in the sun, shoulder to shoulder with thousands of other people, and advanced 10-20 feet every half hour or so. Somewhere between 2:45 and 3:00, I realized that those of us who were still that far away from the door would never get in. I was sunburned and sick from the heat, and was a bit concerned that the mob I was in the middle of might get angry if they were turned away at the end of the day. So I left.

Oh, and I never saw a sign of a LEO or security, although there may have been some in plain clothes. The only uniforms I saw were paramedics when a few people passed out from the heat.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    The job fair was supposed to be from 1:00-4:00. I got there at 12:15 and the line was wrapped around the Genesis Center twice. I could not find the end of it, so I stopped looking when I ran into Sadclown and his GF. Over the next 2.5 hours we stood in the sun, shoulder to shoulder with thousands of other people, and advanced 10-20 feet every half hour or so. Somewhere between 2:45 and 3:00, I realized that those of us who were still that far away from the door would never get in. I was sunburned and sick from the heat, and was a bit concerned that the mob I was in the middle of might get angry if they were turned away at the end of the day. So I left.

Oh, and I never saw a sign of a LEO or security, although there may have been some in plain clothes. The only uniforms I saw were paramedics when a few people passed out from the heat.

You were lucky to leave when you did, we stayed till about 3:45 and we never did move again after you left. They were letting like 3 people in at a time every 10 minutes. Didn't even make a dent in the line.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    You were lucky to leave when you did, we stayed till about 3:45 and we never did move again after you left. They were letting like 3 people in at a time every 10 minutes. Didn't even make a dent in the line.

And to add insult to injury, I hadn't driven the Jeep in a long time, and it didn't have enough gas to get home. I stopped at the Citgo station on 5th avenue near I-65, and unleaded was $4.79 a gallon. I got $10 worth and got the hell out of there.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    The checkpoint looks crazy there are tow trucks they are pulling over what looks like every other car. Searching cars ita insane. I drove past didn't get stopped, the person I was with is from Illinois and she was like "wow this is how indiana is? I thought illinois was bad"

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    And to add insult to injury, I hadn't driven the Jeep in a long time, and it didn't have enough gas to get home. I stopped at the Citgo station on 5th avenue near I-65, and unleaded was $4.79 a gallon. I got $10 worth and got the hell out of there.

I had a better experience afterwards, I went to the Clubhouse and won a 6 pack of delicious cigars and the hat that I wanted.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I was supposed to go to South County and pick up my M&P 15-22, but I was too tired to drive from Crown Point to Cedar Lake. :rolleyes: I'll have to get it next week now.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Actaeon, I might see you at the show sunday.... loading up now for the Gunbunnies photo shoot today and hoping to find a extra gallon of coffee in route to the shoot as I'm going to need it....

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Not recently, but I've had the privilege of being stopped several times at both types of checkpoints. After being detained, questioned, investigated I was deemed clear to leave. What business of is it of anyone, what I'm doing out at 2 or 3 am? I'm a night owl, I work midnights. Even on my days off I'm up most of the night and sleep most of the day. Why should I have to explain why I'm driving to Denny's, Steak and Shake, White Castle, etc... At 3 am for lunch?

if I'm driving erratically, that's fine, I expect to be pulled over, questioned, ticketed, etc..., but when I'm driving along, and the only suspicion is because it's night time, that's where I have a problem.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    There is another thread on checkpoints.
    INGOs po-po say that they're a waste of time, they'd catch more people if the officers working over were around town, actually observing people, instead of pulling everyone over.

I think they totally eliminate the "innocent till proven guilty" premise. And they are a violation of the 4th amendment.

Well, I was stuck over again at work. No meeting for me. I have a date with the shower, then the bed. Unless there's 2 sex starved beauties with a suitcase of money at my front door, I'm not getting up.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    There is another thread on checkpoints.
    INGOs po-po say that they're a waste of time, they'd catch more people if the officers working over were around town, actually observing people, instead of pulling everyone over.

I think they totally eliminate the "innocent till proven guilty" premise. And they are a violation of the 4th amendment.

Well, I was stuck over again at work. No meeting for me. I have a date with the shower, then the bed. Unless there's 2 sex starved beauties with a suitcase of money at my front door, I'm not getting up.

One wouldn't do it, huh?

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Two more shifts and then I'm off for two weeks. Tried to get three weeks, but only got two approved. For getting 6 weeks paid vacation/year, I've never been approved to use more than two or three a year (and never consecutively)

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Two more shifts and then I'm off for two weeks. Tried to get three weeks, but only got two approved. For getting 6 weeks paid vacation/year, I've never been approved to use more than two or three a year (and never consecutively)

Do they allow you to cash it out? Always nice to have that option.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom