• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Larry, your truck, with driver, passengers and cargo has a Gross Vehicle Weight of 3800 pounds. With a fully loaded trailer you have a Combined GVW of 7300 pounds.

Why are you looking at a winch with an 8000# capacity? Why not a 4000-to-5000# capacity instead?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    187x105

Police say Elliot may still be driving the woman’s vehicle in Indiana, according to WXIN. It’s a 2004 red Jeep Liberty with license plate 5FTG55 and Bugs Bunny and Tasmanian Devil decals. He may be heading to Tennessee, according to authorities.

Your new friend up larry? :)

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    Pretty sure that putting a winch on an Escape is possible, heck they've been put on Suzuki Samurais. But I'm betting it will be something like an ATV which modded for the uni-body construction Escape. So possible, yes. Plausible, maybe, if its a light enough winch. But then that sort of defeats the purpose of the winch.
    Suzuki's have a full frame. At least the Sidekicks did.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Suzuki's have a full frame At least the Sidekicks did.

I would have no concern with Larry using the winch to pull his own vehicle out of a ditch.

But if he was trying to pull another vehicle out of a ditch then my concern would be that he will pull his own vehicle into the ditch because it is 1) lightweight, and 2) the other vehicle, even if light, is stuck below his and gravity is a cruel master.

If pulling someone else out, he will have to secure his vehicle to a tree, post, etc with a strap on one end of his vehicle, while using the winch on the other end; that is the common way to anchor a vehicle for winching.

Now my question is, can an 8000# winch literally pull apart a lightweight uni-body vehicle if you strap it to an immovable object on one side and a stuck object on the other side?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    I skipped fencing practice at Lowell today.

The other coaches covered for me. Didn't sleep well last night, had to run the dog to the vet, get an oil change, run errands, etc. So I gave myself the day off from high school practice. Well deserved day off.

I dunno why, but I want BBQ Brisket now!

baddyna96

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Demotte, IN.
    I would have no concern with Larry using the winch to pull his own vehicle out of a ditch.

But if he was trying to pull another vehicle out of a ditch then my concern would be that he will pull his own vehicle into the ditch because it is 1) lightweight, and 2) the other vehicle, even if light, is stuck below his and gravity is a cruel master.

If pulling someone else out, he will have to secure his vehicle to a tree, post, etc with a strap on one end of his vehicle, while using the winch on the other end; that is the common way to anchor a vehicle for winching.

Now my question is, can an 8000# winch literally pull apart a lightweight uni-body vehicle if you strap it to an immovable object on one side and a stuck object on the other side?

I don't think the outcome would be good for his vehicle. In a situation that you described, something would have to give, depending how stuck the other vehicle was. If it were me, I'd give it a shot with a decent recover sling and let the chips fall where they may. Other than that, it's what a wrecker is for.

MTN

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Laporte Co.
    I skipped fencing practice at Lowell today.

The other coaches covered for me. Didn't sleep well last night, had to run the dog to the vet, get an oil change, run errands, etc. So I gave myself the day off from high school practice. Well deserved day off.

I dunno why, but I want BBQ Brisket now!

Since your talking about food. Have you ever tried the beef jerky from the butcher block at SR 2 and 55 in Lowell. Some of the best jerky I had, kinda pricey.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Since your talking about food. Have you ever tried the beef jerky from the butcher block at SR 2 and 55 in Lowell. Some of the best jerky I had, kinda pricey.

No, I live almost on the IL state line, I pretty much never even go East toward the town of Lowell except for afternoon fencing practices. That shop is a couple miles farther east past the edge of town.

I hear their meat is excellent.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In

Need to try Welsh's in St. John, a couple of blocks south of 93Rd on the west side of RT 41, across from the old K-Mart. Great beef stick and jerky.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I love jerky. I may have to try it. I used to go to Butcher Block when we went to Hebron Animal Hospital with our bird, but I haven't been there in years.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    What gander sale?

Dunno?

I don't think the outcome would be good for his vehicle. In a situation that you described, something would have to give, depending how stuck the other vehicle was. If it were me, I'd give it a shot with a decent recover sling and let the chips fall where they may. Other than that, it's what a wrecker is for.
    I have the same thoughts you do. Call a wrecker.

But what I described is pretty much the normal technique. Strap your vehicle to an immovable object (tree) and then use the winch to pull the other guy out.

Of course, if he wants the winch to pull HIMSELF out, then that is a whole different story and the stress on his vehicle is much less.

My craving started last night when wife told me brother in law was complaining about not cooking his ribs right. Then that stewed for 24 hours until I got my paws on some brisket.
    Yea thanks, now I have it.

Need to try Welsh's in St. John, a couple of blocks south of 93Rd on the west side of RT 41, across from the old K-Mart. Great beef stick and jerky.
    Been there many times. Its good. I strongly preferred Doug Komo's Butcher Shop in Cedar Lake, his prime rib and Rib Eye steaks were the best I ever found. Sadly he closed down just before Christmas.

For good meat.... Howards in Munster does a pretty good job....

Howard and Sons Meats
    Uh, NORTH OF 30. That is THUGLAND!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    What gander sale?

got an email that they were having a gun sale. no other info and no links. kinda odd. but I did hear a rumor about it on here somewhere a week or so ago, even put it on my calendar, then I got an email this morning. weird... no flyer, no web details, nothing. Trying to get folks in the door I suppose.
    Don't you get good enough deals at work anyway! lol.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    ok, enough of the bbq, let's switch to sushi. Dragon Bowl in munster is my current fav in the region. used to drive out to tinley for g-in, but they sold the place. I heard Fuji on 6 in portage has gone down hill, haven't been out there in a while, so don't know, never thought it was that great though. house of kobe is gross. tried the one in valpo by Indiana furniture and about barfed. Swear it was canned tuna. Anybody else got a spot?
    and if anyone posts bk oska, that's immediate ignor list qualification. Yack... :noway:

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If your stuck you probably want to winch yourself out backward, not frontward into whatever has already stopped you. With the unitbody there is probably no practical way to structurally mount a winch to the front. You can't count on a tree or other secure point being inline with the direction you want to pull yourself out. You would need to get some sort of a dedicated winch anchor to insure that you could get a pull in the proper direction. Pull pal is the most popular winch anchor with off roaders

A portable slide mount in to a receiver hitch is the way to go. You would want to run permanent cables from your battery to the rear with a Anderson type connector. I recommend something like 0/2 or 0/4. You must run off of a top terminal battery, a winch current draw will melt side terminals. Now have a 2nd battery in the rear again with top terminal battery. Have a lead to go from that battery to your cable routed under the vehicle. Run another cable hard mounted from the winch to the 2nd battery. Use Anderson connectors for both of these connections. Rig up a device to keep your engine at enough of a RPM to run the alternator at its max capacity. 2500rpm on the engine should be fine. Winches are rated at the first wrap, their strength declines with each wrap as the spool gets bigger. There is nothing wrong with using a 8K winch. The current draw isn't that great unless it is pulling very hard. There will be less stress on the winch and it will run cooler than using a 6000 pound winch. I didn't click on the portable winch link, but typically it is a standard winch that is bolted to the receiver hitch adapter. You can buy the adapter and mount any winch too it. The advantage of a smaller winch is lighter and cheaper. Synthetic winch line is the way to go. It adds expense but is much safer and lighter

If you are stuck in a ditch and trying to pull yourself back onto the road, good luck trying to get it out without causing an accident from your line crossing the road

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom