• Status
    Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Yup, the MRAPs were cheap surplus. But, as has been mentioned, they require maintenance. LOTS of it. And that, will not be cheap.
    Nut-uh.
    As for the vehicle maintenance and upkeep, MCPD Chief of Services Royce Williams said it is no different from the other city-owned vehicles, indicating it only requires basic check-ups.
    :rolleyes:
    Plus I wonder what it cost to get it to MC from Texas.

But hey. It can be used as a dune buggy!
    Considering the miles of sandy lake front and dunes within Michigan City, the MRAP also could serve another potentially life-saving purpose. The vehicle's six tires, each measuring about three-and-a-half feet in diameter, have the capability of deflating in seconds, allowing the MRAP to easily travel over sand.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Driving from Portage to Valpo was horrible. Mostly in Portage and the Haven. Once I got to Valpo streets were dry. Saw five accidents in that short ride.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Nut-uh.

:rolleyes:
    Plus I wonder what it cost to get it to MC from Texas.

But hey. It can be used as a dune buggy!
    The tire thing will help it compared to other vehicles it's size/weight.
    But, the thing is TOO DAMM HEAVY.

Maint.
    Not what I hear from the Army.

wheels
    The tire thing will help it compared to other vehicles it's size/weight.
    But, the thing is TOO DAMM HEAVY.
    Other criticisms include the vehicle's weight and size, which severely limit its mobility off main roads, in urban areas, and over bridges. 72 percent of the world's bridges cannot hold the MRAP

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I65 was icy this morning. I did 45mph down the center lane and pissed a lot of people off, but they can bite me. I'm not the one in the ditch.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I heard those MRAP's were stuck quite a lot over in the sand box but what do I know...

Agree with Melensdad on the whole subject...

Here is a thought though on these armored vehicles being shipped to the local PD's....

"Homeland Defense has been shipping these things all over the country to be maintained by local Police Dept's and sitting ready at their locations "

that is all...

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Almost pulled an old bag out of a jeep today and beat her half to death. If you can't drive in this **** than pull the **** over and let people by
    I feel that way almost every day on US41.

WTF is wrong with people driving below the speed limit in the left lane. MOVE THE F*** OVER and get the hell out of the way! They speed limit goes up to 60 about 1 mile south of Cedar Lake and people tend to run down US41 at 54mph!!! They speed THROUGH Cedar Lake but then set their cruise control on "idle" south of town and park themselves in the freaking left lane!

Last time I checked, its against the law in Indiana not to yield to faster traffic.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    Andy while I appreciate the humor of your post, the reality is that our "Men in Blue" have become para-military troops.

I understand the need for some SWAT teams in urban areas, but do we really need armored vehicles in small towns?

Honestly its crap like this that leads to frustration by people about government over-reach. When the police become the military, instead of the community officers we know by name, then we will have moved into a police state.

I think I need a cigar to calm down, too bad I gave them up for Lent!

I won't say I disagree, but can't publicly state I agree... Last time I voiced my opinion the IRS found a past "mistake" and charged me just under $3,000.

try a electronic cigar, that way it's not cheating.

Andy219

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Lake, IN
    I feel that way almost every day on US41.

WTF is wrong with people driving below the speed limit in the left lane. MOVE THE F*** OVER and get the hell out of the way! They speed limit goes up to 60 about 1 mile south of Cedar Lake and people tend to run down US41 at 54mph!!! They speed THROUGH Cedar Lake but then set their cruise control on "idle" south of town and park themselves in the freaking left lane!

Last time I checked, its against the law in Indiana not to yield to faster traffic.

i hate 41, I hate 30, I hate 65... People just irritate me. Although I have noticed with the truck, more people do seem to move over then before.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I usually do yield to faster traffic, but this morning was just a cluster****. It was absolutely essential to maintain a safe distance, and I couldn't do that in the right lane because of all the merging. I settled in behind a semi in the center lane, put some space between us, and did what I had to do. The hotdoggers had the left lane to drive like a-holes in, and they did not disappoint. They also had to keep braking because traffic ahead was slowed. If you have to brake on the expressway, especially when it's icy, you're driving too fast or following too close or both.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I usually do yield to faster traffic, but this morning was just a cluster****. It was absolutely essential to maintain a safe distance, and I couldn't do that in the right lane because of all the merging. I settled in behind a semi in the center lane, put some space between us, and did what I had to do. The hotdoggers had the left lane to drive like a-holes in, and they did not disappoint. They also had to keep braking because traffic ahead was slowed. If you have to brake on the expressway, especially when it's icy, you're driving too fast or following too close or both.

If I have to brake on the highway the people that are driving in front of me need to get the **** out of the left lane and let me by. Also the ****ing semis passing semis is getting VERY ****ing old. Slows down everyone and is frustrating as hell!

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    You know the problem with US41 at about Lake Village down to Kentland is that it is a speed trap for the Newton County policeman ball fund most days, well for years on end that I would travel down it so I always make sure I'm under the limit by considerable speeds to not have to donate to the fund...

This morning must have been a nightmare with everyone all ready for summer to have been here already and then boom winter was back...

I feel it in my bones and I didn't have to go out in it...

I got to get back out tomorrow though as the clients have broke their stuff and I am going to need more bullets and insulin...

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Andy while I appreciate the humor of your post, the reality is that our "Men in Blue" have become para-military troops.

I understand the need for some SWAT teams in urban areas, but do we really need armored vehicles in small towns?

Honestly its crap like this that leads to frustration by people about government over-reach. When the police become the military, instead of the community officers we know by name, then we will have moved into a police state.

I think I need a cigar to calm down, too bad I gave them up for Lent!

The ONLY reason I can think of Michigan City needing an MRAP would be the prison.....and that isn't much of an excuse IMO.....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom