• Status
    Not open for further replies.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    After all that talk about truck drivers and wrecks the other day ...

On the way home this morning ...

There are warning signs about construction and lane reductions for about 3 miles before the actual construction zone. What happens? Yep. Every four wheeler on the road picks up speed to try and get one spot up on the cars around him. I see it coming from about a half mile out. The speed limit has been reduced by about ten (55mph to 45mph in the work zone) but everyone has gone from the usual 60-65mph to almost 70mph to try and get ahead. I see the stopped traffic up ahead in the lane next to me and every car around me still cruising along at 65-70mph. I immediately back off and start leaving a huge gap in front of me. Sure enough ... I hear the screeching and see the smoke as two cars have to slam on the brakes and dive into my lane ahead of me. If it wasn't for the anti-lock braking system on both newer cars they would have had a doozy of a pile-up. I was expecting this to happen so I cruised easily onto the shoulder to avoid them. Idiots probably had to clean their shorts/panties. If I hadn't been paying attention, they would have likely smacked into my side and sent me into the wall.

I kinda get what the truckers have to put up with after watching that display of stupidity.

All of what you have said is an every day scene and get to work in the construction zone and hope to make to the end of the day without an accident.

Last edited:

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Guess who is going to Appleseed!!!
    appleseed.png
    Great, I have to deal with you all weekend. This trip just went to $%#/

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    I'm heading out of town on Tuesday, will be back in 10-14 days (the lovely Mrs B has not decided when we will be back!) so if you want it I can take it to the shop on Monday morning. After that you are on your own.

No big rush, I'm on vaca the week after Labor Day week and was going to swing by for a while. Thursday mornings are still a good INGO turnout right?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    On a different note now I won't be able to call you a LOSER for not going to Appleseed!!!!

The rest of NWI INGO is on notice you are LOSERS if you have not gone.

@larry
    maybe you can just make one day instead of two?

I don't plan on sleeping over at the site BTW. I do have the gear to do it but I'll drive each day instead.
    The thought of having to sleep under the stars with WD and lone is ssscccccaaaaarrrrryyyyyyyy!!!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am thinking about going too. I would not be able to stay. What time does it finish each day?

What are the requirements for the rifle?

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I would love to go to one, but I never know if I'm gonna be off a whole Saturday and Sunday until late Friday. I'll get vacation time at 1 year from hire, but I wanna use that up to go on a road trip.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I am thinking about going too. I would not be able to stay. What time does it finish each day?

What are the requirements for the rifle?
    the fine print says no KLB's allowed. :p

sat its 8am to 8pm (iirc)
    sun its 8am to 4:30pm

only .22lr rifles allowed at this private grassy range.
    if you need one i'm sure we can get you one. we got plenty of nwi ingo members with a ruger 10/22.
    other than a rifle just a notebook, pen, and some ammo is all you need.
    i can take the grill and we can eat hot dogs.

i'm not sure if i'm gonna buy a shooting mat or just use the yoga mat i have.
    i do plan on getting some more 10/22 mags (cabelas has a 4 pack for 55 online only) that i have been eyeing for a while.

if you cant make both days go to at least sat to get the most out of it.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    It's 1630 end time on both days.

For Saturday, it should be pretty close to 1630 depending on how the group is doing. I know that sometimes (at other Appleseeds) instructors will continue to work with some students even after others have packed up and left for the day. This will happen sometimes when a student is only there for one day and still hasn't earned a Rifleman Patch. Instructor might go a little out of the way to run one last AQT for anyone that wants to stay. HOWEVER, this range is on private property and the host might ask us to adhere to an evening deadline as a courtesy to his neighbors. Either way, it will not run until 2000 (it will be nighttime and dark). Everyone should be off the range and those camping should be sitting around the fire or bedding down for the night by then.

For Sunday, 1630 means you should be picked up, walking off the range, and driving away no later than 1645.

The range is grassy with some sandy patches but by this time in September there might be some thistles and the grass might be browned and a little rough. It is well maintained by the host but it is mostly crabgrass. There's nothing on the ground though that will kill you or bother your shooting once you are settled in if you forget your mat.

the fine print says no KLB's allowed. :p

sat its 8am to 8pm (iirc)
    sun its 8am to 4:30pm

only .22lr rifles allowed at this private grassy range.
    if you need one i'm sure we can get you one. we got plenty of nwi ingo members with a ruger 10/22.
    other than a rifle just a notebook, pen, and some ammo is all you need.
    i can take the grill and we can eat hot dogs.

i'm not sure if i'm gonna buy a shooting mat or just use the yoga mat i have.
    i do plan on getting some more 10/22 mags (cabelas has a 4 pack for 55 online only) that i have been eyeing for a while.

if you cant make both days go to at least sat to get the most out of it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

For Saturday, it should be pretty close to 1630 depending on how the group is doing. I know that sometimes (at other Appleseeds) instructors will continue to work with some students even after others have packed up and left for the day. This will happen sometimes when a student is only there for one day and still hasn't earned a Rifleman Patch. Instructor might go a little out of the way to run one last AQT for anyone that wants to stay. HOWEVER, this range is on private property and the host might ask us to adhere to an evening deadline as a courtesy to his neighbors. Either way, it will not run until 2000 (it will be nighttime and dark). Everyone should be off the range and those camping should be sitting around the fire or bedding down for the night by then.

For Sunday, 1630 means you should be picked up, walking off the range, and driving away no later than 1645.

The range is grassy with some sandy patches but by this time in September there might be some thistles and the grass might be browned and a little rough. It is well maintained by the host but it is mostly crabgrass. There's nothing on the ground though that will kill you or bother your shooting once you are settled in if you forget your mat.

:dramaqueen: crab grass!!! oh that is it i'm asking for a refund. :)
    hum... looks like i should invest in a mat then...
    hum....

anyone gonna be camping there?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    The lovely Mrs_Bob woke me up at 0400 to go for a 4 mile walk :(

Got out the door at 0430 and it was still really dark outside. Had a nice view of the stars, could see 'da glow' of Chicago to our northwest.

Not sure I'm that dedicated to walking that I want to go so early.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The lovely Mrs_Bob woke me up at 0400 to go for a 4 mile walk :(

Got out the door at 0430 and it was still really dark outside. Had a nice view of the stars, could see 'da glow' of Chicago to our northwest.

Not sure I'm that dedicated to walking that I want to go so early.
    I was already out in the barn getting the horses out. Ain't it grand? :n00b:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

That would work. I can get home to feed horses, although I would have to clean stalls on Friday.

I don't have a 10/22, just the MP15-22 and my Savage FV-SR bolt with a 3X9 scope.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom