• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    My :twocents: ...

Driving to work one morning, I was cruising the expressway out of the city in the lane next to the far right lane (five lanes at this point). It was around 0445. I was doing a leisurely 60 mph (cruise control set). Almost no traffic ... all the other lanes are wide open. This truck driver comes up fast on my butt and gets right on my bumper. He starts flashing his lights and after about a quarter mile starts blowing his air horn. I was thinking, "Seriously??? Dude, you have five (at this point) other lanes to choose from and you want to ride my bumper?" I keep my cool but he keeps at it. He FINALLY goes around me on the right ... reaaallly close to me and then swerves suddenly into my lane in front of me. That was it. I had enough. I called our dispatcher since I was only a few miles out from work and asked if they could send my call to the ISP. The dispatcher said she could do one better for me ... she had a state trooper standing in front of her. She relayed the information face-to-face. I found out later that day that he was able to stop the truck a few miles up the road. The dispatcher didn't get all the details for me but they got him for speeding, a few issues with his truck, and the biggest one ... discrepancies in his log book. Apparently he was late and trying to make up some time. Would have been much easier for him to just cruise right by me and be on his way. I would be really ticked if a truck driver had been doing something like that to my wife or daughter on the road.

Bottom line ... idiots in all types of vehicles. However, my experience over the last twenty years, like Medic6882, is that truck drivers are the worst at yielding to emergency vehicles. They seem cocooned from anything other than what is directly in front of them. Final note about the two most recent crashes (in case Medic6882 wasn't clear): Both offending trucks went over the top or through the passenger vehicles and made contact with the semi trailer in front of the car that was struck. That tells me the truck is at fault either through driver error or mechanical failure.

Added ... I still think that long, monotonous drive from Indy to Chicago lulls every driver into a state of inattention. I would like to know how far back the construction zone is marked and how many miles back the first warning signs appear. Somebody, somewhere has to anticipate the length of the back-ups on the highway. This isn't the first time a highway has been repaired.

medic6882

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Demotte
    Frosty I completely understand what you're saying. But what I'm saying is the first post I saw in this forum blamed the 4 wheeler and as of right now all evidence points at the driver of the Volvo. Skid marks less than 50' indicate he wasn't paying attention, and even had the jeep not been there he would have hit the freightliner, the only difference would be less fatalities. I responded to crashes on 65 and on 41 for 20 plus years and have seen accidents caused by the 4 wheelers and the professionals and when there is a fatality involved regardless of who's at fault the other party is mentally screwed up for years. I used to pull trailers of milk and cream up to Wisconsin twice a week and I had countless cars short cut me and I cursed them the next hundred miles. But I have also been in my pickup and had semis do the same thing to me. I probably have the benefit of having a little more info on the crash than you do so it is easier for me to jump to my conclusion faster. Sorry if I offended you but anyone who is willing to be honest would have to admit that just because someone drives a semi doesn't mean they're a good driver.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    That last sentence IS correct! I've even caused an accident due to losing my train of thought and all it takes is a split second. Fortunately no one was hurt in my accident but it could have been worse! And it don't matter what kind of vehicle your in, it could happen at anytime. It just seems that truckers aways get portrayed as bad drivers but there could be a lot of factors that lead up to it. ie... Time on duty, miles driven, last break, etc.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Thanks.

Almost time to go home and make sloppy joes for dinner. Yum.

Spent most of the day cleaning the headliner of my hard hat, and tearing my tool locker apart looking for some notes I made years ago that I need.
    I found the notes, along with a dozen old jameco electronics catalogs, decad old schedules, notes and drawings that I can't even figure out, a bunch more crap, and directions to a phone, not my last phone, but the phone before that.
    My locker is partially cleaner.
    No. I have the larger one. They have a great rep though, and the one I have has been good.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    It wasn't from a local Garbage company by chance was it? We do have some ****ty drivers!!! Was me thought I was off Burr and 30 today.

the article also said that the vehicle was towed to Keener Township FD, Sadclown, were you there?
    No, they were semis. I forget what company. They were tankers, with the hoppers on the bottom.

IN_Sheepdog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    Northwest aka "da Region"
    just stopped into blythe's sports shop in Valparaiso this morning, and had a great conversation with LoneHoosier. major kudos to Sadclown for an excellent price on 9 mm to support the NPCCC family picnic and youth shoot coming up on August 25. thanks a bunch Andy!

By the way, this picnic is open to all so come on out for some great conversation, shooting, and picnic food... I think the times are 11am -4 pm, but it might be 12-4.
    more information stop by NPCCC - North Porter County Conservation Club | Home

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Went out looking for 9mm ammo in Portage with no luck.

I was walking in in to Meijers in Portage and had a lady that works there run up to me and ask me.

Her; Who are you?

Me; What do you mean?

Her; Are you security?

Me; No

Her; You have a gun.

Me; I'm licensed to carry.

Her; You are scaring me.

Me; Do you always run up and question the thing that you are scared of, or are you just curious
    about it?

At this point she is just looking at me like a deer in the headlights. I told her to have a great day and I went on my way to shop.

Last edited:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Went out looking for 9mm ammo in Portage with no luck.

I was walking in Meyers in Portage and had a lady that works there run up to me and ask me.
    Her. Who are you.
    Me. What do you mean.
    Her. Are you security.
    Me. No
    Her. You have a gun.
    Me. I'm license to carry.
    Her. You are scarring me.
    Me. Do you always run up and question the thing that you are scarred of or are you just curious about it?
    At this point she is just looking at me like a deer in the headlights. I told her to have a great day and I went on my way to shop.

;facepalm: on her...
    so did she run away screaming like a mad lady?
    :faint:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Trencher
    Top Bottom