• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Clif45

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Lake Station
    I read the los comales in EC. That area doesnt feel too bad to me. I feel much more comfortable there then I do when I am working by the apartments on MLK and the surrounding area. I will have to try the place on broadway in a few weeks when I am in that area again. I eat at el ranchito usually, and they have another store with a panaderia in new chicago that is pretty good. Unfortunately I have three of four routes in EC and I am not looking forward to reading them when the weather gets better. Nobody wants to get out and hassle you when its cold...

And no ingo member responded to who lives on catapla in dyer. Just curious since I read your meters yesterday. that big goofy guy in the green shirt looking at your gas meter was me...

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    Yayyyy got a grip and stock on the ar
    20130417_173925_zps654f368d.jpg

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Hey Dan, no luck on the chips. The lays vendor has no idea when he'll get them for my store again. If I see them I'll grab em for ya though.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    look at the turntable and think about it for a minute.

I don't know it looks normal to me...

The right side is not leading to any more track. Not sure if this is a safety violation for the trains or not? :dunno:

There was another INGO post a few days ago with a GPS number for I think a park in germany I think that was also hum... I did not get to see the pic of that one anyone know the numbers?

thoroughbred

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    My houseboat on Lake Michigan
    The right side is not leading to any more track. Not sure if this is a safety violation for the trains or not? :dunno:

There was another INGO post a few days ago with a GPS number for I think a park in germany I think that was also hum... I did not get to see the pic of that one anyone know the numbers?

I saw the previous in the park and that was down right creepy...it looks as if the turntable is mid rotation it doesn't look lined up with any of the tracks, I don't think it would be a violation, but then again I am not a conductor or engineer and I'm not that familiar with it...come on billb just tell me already I have been staring at this thing for like 20 mins:laugh:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The Boycott Flyer

This is the info on the flyer

Front side

BOYCOTT
    Culver's
    3950 Ridge Road
    Highland, Indiana

Culver's
    1579 E. 79th Avenue
    Merrillville, Indiana

The INDIANA/KENTUCKY/OHIO REGIONAL COUNCIL OF CARPENTERS is not patronizing and request that you join its members, families and friends in not patronizing the Highland and Merrillville locations of Culver's because Fred Terpstra, the owner or representative of said Restaurants, appears to have been dishonest in obtaining monies/tax benefits from Highland.

As stated in the Wednesday, December 16, 2011 Minutes of the Highland Economic Development Commissions, Mr. Terpstra appeared before the Commission seeking Highland tax dollars to help build the Highland Restaurant. Responding to his request, he was asked whether prevailing wages would be paid to the construction workers on the site. Mr. Rerpstra replied that "Prevailing Wage will be paid".

This has NOT occurred. Instead, an out-of-state contractor, SKIK Management, has employed construction workers not being paid our area's prevailing wage when they had built, at least in part, the Highland Restaurant. In our opinion, such a broken promise should not be tolerated. Mr. Terpstra's Culver's should not be patronized.

Back side of flyer
    WHOSE BANNER IS IT?

The banner represents the members, families and friends of the Indiana/Kentucy/Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters, many of whom are your relatives, friends, and neighbors living and working in the Greater Northwest Indiana Area. Why reward someone who appears to be dishonest in making statements to the Highland Development Commission? SKIK management's failure to pay the promised prevailing wage means that our community is being injured because without prevailing wages, we face a loss of income and little or no health insurance and pensions - thereby costing everyone in our community who is dependent upon our spending. Shopkeepers, salespersons, charities, and many others who rely upon our spending of dollars in order to make their own living and to support their own families will feel this loss.

DO NOT WORRY CULVER'S LOVERS! THERE ARE CULVER'S WHICH DO SUPPORT LOCAL WORKERS BY UTILIZING LOCAL CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES WHICH DO PAY THEIR EMPLOYEES THE PREVAILING WAGE!

PATRONIZE THESE CULVER'S!

Schereville
    Portage
    Michigan City
    Valparasio

----

I bold what they had BOLD in the flyer.

Now that I'm reading this I'm not sure about myself and not crossing that line. In part because today when I passed the location they were not there! :dunno: Granted it was raining.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    The first set of coordinates sure looked like a murder and/or body disposal in progress.

The second one ... I thought the tracks were supposed to be a single stretch of track through the center of the table? It looks like the image was edited through the center of the table.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    . . . Fred Terpstra, the owner or representative of said Restaurants, appears to have been dishonest in obtaining monies/tax benefits from Highland.

As stated in the Wednesday, December 16, 2011 Minutes of the Highland Economic Development Commissions, Mr. Terpstra appeared before the Commission seeking Highland tax dollars to help build the Highland Restaurant. Responding to his request, he was asked whether prevailing wages would be paid to the construction workers on the site. Mr. Rerpstra replied that "Prevailing Wage will be paid".

This has NOT occurred. Instead, an out-of-state contractor, SKIK Management, has employed construction workers not being paid our area's prevailing wage when they had built, at least in part, the Highland Restaurant. In our opinion, such a broken promise should not be tolerated. Mr. Terpstra's Culver's should not be patronized.

Back side of flyer
    WHOSE BANNER IS IT?

The banner represents the members, families and friends of the Indiana/Kentucy/Ohio Regional Council of Carpenters, many of whom are your relatives, friends, and neighbors living and working in the Greater Northwest Indiana Area. Why reward someone who appears to be dishonest in making statements to the Highland Development Commission? SKIK management's failure to pay the promised prevailing wage . . .[/b]
    OK, I'm not a lawyer, I never played one on TV, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express so I believe I am qualified to interpret this flyer.

First, the union is VERY CAREFUL with its wording and says things like "appears to be" but does not specifically state that they have any actual proof.

Second, their allegation is pretty weak with the admission that prevailing wages probably were paid on most of the project, because they use the phrase "at least in part" which could mean that the decorator might have been paid a bit less or that some minor supplier might have been paid a bit less, but they never actually allege the carpenters, electrical workers, roofers, etc actually were paid less than prevailing wage.

Finally it seems like their biggest complaint is that LOCAL workers were not paid the prevailing wage. So apparently if an out of region contractor pays prevailing wage to out of region workers that is bad, but if they pay prevailing wage to local workers that is good. To me that sounds a lot like 2 unions fighting each other. The local union got shut out, the out of region union got the job. This happens frequently.

And not one time did the union suggest that Culver's broke a law. Further they did not indicate that Highland was upset in any way with the contractor or his wages. Further they did not suggest that Highland should pull the tax credit.

So if the owner didn't break any law.

And if the town of Highland is not upset with the contractor.

And if the town of Highland is still providing the tax credit.

Then its logical to assume that the town of Highland is satisfied that 'prevailing wages' were actually paid to workers.

So why should I boycott?

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    This is the info on the flyer

Now that I'm reading this I'm not sure about myself and not crossing that line. In part because today when I passed the location they were not there! :dunno: Granted it was raining.

They were out there at about 1pm when got my food and ate it while waiting at the stoplight.:):

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    I agree with Melensdad, in fact we need to show support for Mr. Terpstra's Culver's. It only appears that the local unions wanted to much to do a job that someone else was willing to do for cheaper. Mr. Terpstra appears to only be guilty of trying to live the american dream. Though I have never eaten at a Culver's before, if I am in the area and I am hungry, I might want to patronize this gentleman's shop and try one of these burgers that the local unions seem to hate so much.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So why should I boycott?

Cause you are a SOUTHERN LAKE COUNTY resident and this is a NORTHERN LAKE COUNTY place and as such anything NORTH of US-30 you are not suppose to like. DUH!!! ;)

They were out there at about 1pm when got my food and ate it while waiting at the stoplight.:):

Ah so they are only out there during lunch hour perhaps. I was there around lunch time yesterday.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Andrew, I got a call from a buddy looking for an AR15 at a reasonable price, told him to go see you. Not sure if he got there/will go there, but I did my part to help you out.

I agree with Melensdad, in fact we need to show support for Mr. Terpstra's Culver's. It only appears that the local unions wanted to much to do a job that someone else was willing to do for cheaper. Mr. Terpstra appears to only be guilty of trying to live the american dream. Though I have never eaten at a Culver's before, if I am in the area and I am hungry, I might want to patronize this gentleman's shop and try one of these burgers that the local unions seem to hate so much.
    The way I see it is that this is simply not my fight.

But being that its not my fight, I also believe that I have the right to eat there if I so choose, without being hassled by anyone. Me, I personally don't eat at Culvers. Tried it, didn't do much for me. I can live without it. But I hate the idea of being chased away simply because someone has a complaint ~~~ which may not be legitimate ~~~ with the owner.

If the complaint was actually legit then Highland would pull the tax credit.

If the complaint was actually legit then the union wouldn't use vague wording about its allegations.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom