Not open for further replies.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    @melensdad-

I have not seen said flyer! I was just going off of what I was gathering from Jedi. At the time of typing that, I was playing trains with my son and he was making me lose my "train" of thought. I'm not going to start a pissing match with you on this. It is what it is, and if people want to support something like this, that's fine. BUT, I for one will not.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    There is ZERO evidence that Culvers backed out of any agreement.

All we actually know is that Culver's contractor did not use this particular union.

Perhaps they used a different union and still paid prevailing wages! That has happened before, will happen again.

Perhaps they used non-union and paid prevailing wages. That has also happened many times before and will happen again.

IF Culvers backed out of an agreement them Highland would not have to give them any tax break. Where is the evidence that Highland pulled the tax breaks? There is none. So if Highland is honoring the tax break then its very likely that this is a simple case of one pissed off union that didn't get a job because some other union, or some non-union workers, were paid prevailing wages.

It amazes me that people make so many assumptions without factual info. If it comes out that Highland pulled the tax break then its likely Culvers didn't pay prevailing wages. That is still legal.
    This is exactly what I was thinking while reading all of this.

Jedi, I am ashamed of you. You would demand to hear both sides on most things, but in this instance you read a flyer by one party and assume it is the whole story. :nono:

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Why do I even bother with Blythes? Went to Griffith. $199-$299 stripped lowers, $499 10/22, $179 Model 60s, $450 870s, $1500 DPMS, $2000 S&W AR, $220 Spike's enhanced LPK.....GAH.

At least they had stock again. Probably the best deal there were the Lancer L5 mags for $14.99.

Everyone knows you come to the Valpo Blythes for the best prices. we have DPMS at below $1000, and S&W AR's at $1299.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    @melensdad-

I have not seen said flyer! I was just going off of what I was gathering from Jedi. At the time of typing that, I was playing trains with my son and he was making me lose my "train" of thought. I'm not going to start a pissing match with you on this. It is what it is, and if people want to support something like this, that's fine. BUT, I for one will not.
    Well I'm NOT trying to start a pissing match. As I said, I have no problems with people joining private sector unions. This is just not a simple case of taking the word of one side without looking into the facts. And we simply don't know the facts. We have 1 side of the story, nothing more.

Jedi, I am ashamed of you. You would demand to hear both sides on most things, but in this instance you read a flyer by one party and assume it is the whole story. :nono:
    BINGO

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    However the owner of these Culver's (per the flyer) went before the Highland board for 'tax credits' and the board wanted him to use "prevaling local area wages for workers who will do the construction" (ie. probably means use union members) and he agreed to that.

Said owner per the flyer backed out on that agreement. He could of always said no i don't agree with that and I'm sure the highland board would probably not have given him the tax credits.

There in lines my issue with this. He gave his word and he broke it so if his word is not good enough then f**** him!

I was going to point out that you forgot the crucial question ... "Who printed the flyer?" and "Are the claims factual?"

It seems that Melensdad and KLB beat me to it. I guess I'm a day late, dollar short ... again. :laugh: On that note:

Big +1 to KLB.

Unrelated:

Which one?

Recommend this one

El Michoacano
    2003 Broadway Street
    East Chicago, IN 46312

This one is also good but not as good as the top one

El Ranchero
    3809 Main Street
    East Chicago, IN 46312

but they are in the harbor so if you are not from EC don't go in the evening.

We used to LOVE getting tacos (al pastor) at the one place on Indy Blvd somewhere in East Chicago. However, we ate there one day and were completely uncomfortable with the clientele that was trafficking in and out of the place. Found out that the place (and some patrons) were robbed at gun point a few hours after we were there. Haven't been back since.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

You are only ashmed of me for this one post. :rockwoot:and :xmad: I must not be posting enough PINK stuff to make you all ashamed that ya live in NWI then. :p

I'm not sure I would demand to hear both sides of the story on things. I'm more of the type to...

retire-to-the-mothership-and-nuke-them-from-orbit.png

exterminatus-1.jpg

I was going to point out that you forgot the crucial question ... "Who printed the flyer?" and "Are the claims factual?"

It seems that Melensdad and KLB beat me to it. I guess I'm a day late, dollar short ... again. :laugh: On that note:

Big +1 to KLB.
    Correct the flyer had a tidit of quotes from the highland town meeting in DEC 2012 I think. I'll post the text when I get home just so you guys can continue to 'debate it'. :rolleyes: See what happens NWI when I post 'serious stuff' :laugh:

I ended up at white castle yesterday after leaving Culvers and did think about it for a bit. About how do I know that the info on the flyer is correct or not? But by then it was too late and besides $5 for food vs $7-$8 for food since I had no coupons and well the cheaper place won out.

Unrelated:

We used to LOVE getting tacos (al pastor) at the one place on Indy Blvd somewhere in East Chicago. However, we ate there one day and were completely uncomfortable with the clientele that was trafficking in and out of the place. Found out that the place (and some patrons) were robbed at gun point a few hours after we were there. Haven't been back since.

I think you are referring to this place.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#Taqueria Los Comalesmore infohttp://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#Address:
    transparent.png
    transparent.png

Relocated from Relocated to Not true? Show all edits Not true?
    Placement on map is approximate
    4841 Indianapolis Boulevardhttp://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#
    East Chicago, IN 46312http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#

:puke:
    They have had several robberies. The one that sticks to my head is the local city councilman was in the resturant when it was robbed and he was making a big thing about it.

I can't think of any loctions on the "East Chicago" side of East Chicago that are good mexican eats. The ones in the Harbor are better. The one by Deb's Gun range in Hammond is also good but not at the same level as the ones in the harbor.

http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#Los Altenosmore infohttp://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#Address:
    transparent.png
    transparent.png

6736 Kennedy Avenuehttp://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#
    Hammond, IN 46323http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#

Get directions

(219) 845-0500http://maps.google.com/maps?rls=com...sa=X&ei=N-5uUeaiHbSr4AOY_YCgCQ&ved=0CIcBELYD#

You uncofortable and 'scared' (my words not yours). :nono: you are super snob! You could ramboe your way out of anywhere! I don't believe it.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    I think you are referring to this place.
    Taqueria Los Comalesmore infoAddress:
    transparent.png
    transparent.png

4841 Indianapolis Boulevard
    East Chicago, IN 46312

:puke:

Yep, Los Comales ... that's the place.

:puke:Seriously? What's wrong with the place/food?

I can't think of any loctions on the "East Chicago" side of East Chicago that are good mexican eats. The ones in the Harbor are better. The one by Deb's Gun range in Hammond is also good but not at the same level as the ones in the harbor.

Los Altenos
    6736 Kennedy Avenue
    Hammond, IN 46323

Tell me more about "the harbor" ... what are you talking about and is the food really better? more authentic? We're still talking about tacos Al Pastor, right?

You uncofortable and 'scared' (my words not yours). :nono: you are super snob! You could ramboe your way out of anywhere! I don't believe it.

Yep, uncomfortable and scared! Not a snob, just smart. I would rather be sitting at home than have to "Rambo" my way out of anything. There's a book you should read, "The Gift of Fear." Goes along with the old axiom of not getting involved with stupid people/places/activities/times ... similar to "Don't go looking for trouble." It's all about avoidance, avoidance, avoidance ...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    oh annie u r breaking my heart... 'from star wars ep3' = 'oh wd u r breaking my heart'
    :rofl:
    this image of no fear wd is here is being shattered. :p

ok back to the food.
    los comalles is real mexican but what is considered fast food commerical since they have franchised and do a good job of it. it ok to good but i'll stop there. i'm not afraid of being in ec even the harbor but even i'm not crazy to eat there. not the food but the level of bad mojo that places has. you want to test your shooting skills (you general you not you per say wd) eat there and your shooting skills will be tested.

the 2 hole in the walls i listed in the harbor are better food wise they are mom n pop places as well.
    i would say they are doublegood (newspeak for those that get it).

but if you what tacos al pastor then you have to go to la 26 in chicago aka little mexico for real tacos al pastor. i have not been there in a lllloooonnnggggg time. the 2nd place i listed on main st did have al pastor back when i was in college have not been to it in forver so not sure if they still are doing that or not. been to the 1st places i listed a year ago.

actually there is a new place inside the straks on indiapalolis blvd in indy that is also good. i tend to eat tortas de milanesa and if you cant make that they you (ie. restuarnt) are worthless. a tortas for those not brown is equivalent to a burger for mexicans. if an american resturant cant make a good basic burger then is sux according to me, same barameter for a mexican joint. you will notice that most 'high end' mexican resturants in non-brown areas dont offer this basic dish. why? well they are not authetnic, authenti but catering to the whote population instead.

anyways back on track. there is a new shop in the groceary store, dont know the name but i was able to try their torta and a tacos (cold) as my sister brought it for me. it was yummy. not sure if they have sit down area or if it is only carryout.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    oh all this talk to fool making me hungry d**** you wd!!!!
    i'm on train en route to cabelas and aldis for the stuff for this weekend.

i'll try and fidn the link of the hot battle.
    try brickshelf.com and you will see a s**** load of LEGO images.

the only Qualk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Valpo
    oh annie u r breaking my heart... 'from star wars ep3' = 'oh wd u r breaking my heart'
    :rofl:
    this image of no fear wd is here is being shattered. :p

ok back to the food.
    los comalles is real mexican but what is considered fast food commerical since they have franchised and do a good job of it. it ok to good but i'll stop there. i'm not afraid of being in ec even the harbor but even i'm not crazy to eat there. not the food but the level of bad mojo that places has. you want to test your shooting skills (you general you not you per say wd) eat there and your shooting skills will be tested.

the 2 hole in the walls i listed in the harbor are better food wise they are mom n pop places as well.
    i would say they are doublegood (newspeak for those that get it).

but if you what tacos al pastor then you have to go to la 26 in chicago aka little mexico for real tacos al pastor. i have not been there in a lllloooonnnggggg time. the 2nd place i listed on main st did have al pastor back when i was in college have not been to it in forver so not sure if they still are doing that or not. been to the 1st places i listed a year ago.

actually there is a new place inside the straks on indiapalolis blvd in indy that is also good. i tend to eat tortas de milanesa and if you cant make that they you (ie. restuarnt) are worthless. a tortas for those not brown is equivalent to a burger for mexicans. if an american resturant cant make a good basic burger then is sux according to me, same barameter for a mexican joint. you will notice that most 'high end' mexican resturants in non-brown areas dont offer this basic dish. why? well they are not authetnic, authenti but catering to the whote population instead.

anyways back on track. there is a new shop in the groceary store, dont know the name but i was able to try their torta and a tacos (cold) as my sister brought it for me. it was yummy. not sure if they have sit down area or if it is only carryout.

I do love me a torta. I also enjoy sopes, flautas, burritos, and many other items of which i have to ask my wife what they are haha ( me clueless gringo. she mexican and excellent cook):rockwoot:
    edit: forgot sonoran dogs <<< so good

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom