• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Avoid the Bishop Ford/Dan Ryan at all costs. Take the toll road/skyway to Lake Shore Drive. Leave at 0730 to be safe on time and most likely spend 30 minutes watching the lake once you get there.
    I used to work @ 14th and Western and believe me, for a daily commute Lake shore drive was the way to go. The most congested was near McCormick place, make sure you're already to the right so that you may exit @ the museum campus.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @ Melensdad ... I hate to say it but Jedi is pretty close in his time estimations. Safe bet (with a nice margin of error) would be a 90 minute commute (total). That does not take into account major occurances (all of which I have seen at one time or another on my commute) ... suicide on the highway, pedestrian struck and killed, gang banger shoot-out, wrong way dirver crash-n-burn, haz-mat spill, police chase, etc.

I am usually heading home at the specified time and the Bishop Ford / Dan Ryan is hit-or-miss. Some days the northbound traffic is moving along pretty good. Other days it's a parking lot starting at 130th.

Case in point a major multi-car crash this morning had several lanes shut down when I was just getting on the train at 5AM.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    As I live almost on the state line, I was thinking of running north on 394 to 94. Exiting 94 on Stoney Island, running that north to 55th, taking that east past Univ. of Chicago to the Museum of Sci & Ind and getting on L.S.D. at that point. Then L.S.D. up to the Field Museum.

t_star

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2011
    NWI
    As I live almost on the state line, I was thinking of running north on 394 to 94. Exiting 94 on Stoney Island, running that north to 55th, taking that east past Univ. of Chicago to the Museum of Sci & Ind and getting on L.S.D. at that point. Then L.S.D. up to the Field Museum.
    When I lived in Highland my preferred route was the tollroad to MLK Dr...then somehow I got to LSD. I don't remember the street name, but it did take me right past a museum.

Also know, I am quite terrible at giving directions, since I can't remember street names and only know N&S from certain places.
    I would take the train.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    That does not take into account major occurances (all of which I have seen at one time or another on my commute) ... suicide on the highway, pedestrian struck and killed, gang banger shoot-out, wrong way dirver crash-n-burn, haz-mat spill, police chase, etc.

sounds like a typical tuesday :n00b:

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I would take the train.

Can someone quote this so old pops can see it.

Take the South Shore Train 112 out of East Chicago.
    It leaves at 7:42AM and arrives at Museum Station/11th Street ay 8:25AM
    Cost per ticket is $5.25 on way. You can buy a ticket via CASH or CHECK at the ticket agent window in EC. Or if you prefer you can use a CREDIT CARD at the station via the ticket vending machine.

When you get off at the Museum Station, you will take the ramp to go across the tracks (heading east) toward S. Columbus Dr. Keep heading EAST as you cross S. Columbus Dr and you will go back into the park area which will take you to the museum. You will cross Lake Shore Dr. as you do this.

This will remove all the headaches of traffic, driving in the city, parking. Trust me you drive in the city and you are asking for a red light camera ticket. Someone needs to pay those new teacher salaries you know.

If you can't afford the train ticket I still have a 10-ride that still has 4 rides left that you can use for some.... :whistle:

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Take the South Shore Train 112 out of East Chicago.
    It leaves at 7:42AM and arrives at Museum Station/11th Street ay 8:25AM
    Cost per ticket is $5.25 on way. You can buy a ticket via CASH or CHECK at the ticket agent window in EC. Or if you prefer you can use a CREDIT CARD at the station via the ticket vending machine.

When you get off at the Museum Station, you will take the ramp to go across the tracks (heading east) toward S. Columbus Dr. Keep heading EAST as you cross S. Columbus Dr and you will go back into the park area which will take you to the museum. You will cross Lake Shore Dr. as you do this.

This will remove all the headaches of traffic, driving in the city, parking. Trust me you drive in the city and you are asking for a red light camera ticket. Someone needs to pay those new teacher salaries you know.

If you can't afford the train ticket I still have a 10-ride that still has 4 rides left that you can use for some.... :whistle:

:rofl:

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    sounds like a typical tuesday :n00b:

You got that right.

Taking the train :noway:. Too much like cattle being herded. At least if you have a problem on the highway, you can start driving an alternate route and retain some control. If a computer malfunctions, a rail buckles, or train hits a car/person you are *UBAR. You'll be sitting around with the rest of the sweaty, smelly cattle waiting on someone else to solve your problem. I don't envy the brave souls that subject themselves to public transportation every day. Me? ... my personality doesn't do well moving with a crowd.

I'll play ...
    Can someone quote this so old pops can see it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You're a train instructions.

I'll play ...

21837674.jpg

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Do you see what looks like a period near the end of melensdad's statment?
    If you zoom in you will note that it is not a period but a cluster of words in font .005 that read, "except anything in st. John, indiana ... where utopian perfection exists."

Yeah! .... you're right! I see it now. ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom