• Status
    Not open for further replies.

seeker1321

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Elkhart
    Yea I have to buy from the px because I'm using my sent credit card and only.have $600 available balance

This one is over your budget it's at $677, but if you want to play games on it, it has 1gb of discrete graphics which none of the others in this price range have.
    Toshiba 15.6" Intel Core i5-2450M 2.5GHz 640GB Satellite Notebook
    Price...$677.00
    https://shop.aafes.com/shop/MobileApp/Product.aspx?pfid=X218S&dept_id=7783&gid=

For under $600 I would go with one of these

HP Pavilion 15.6" Intel® Core™ i3-2370M 2.40GHz 500GB Notebook
    Price...$529.00
    https://shop.aafes.com/shop/MobileApp/Product.aspx?pfid=X241C&dept_id=7783&gid=

Lenovo ThinkPad 15.6" Intel Core i3-380M Dual-Core 2.53GHz 500GB Edge 15 LED Notebook
    Price...$589.00
    https://shop.aafes.com/shop/MobileApp/Product.aspx?pfid=X223M&dept_id=7783&gid=

Sony VAIO 15.5" E Series Intel® Core™ i3-3110M 2.40GHz 750GB LED Notebook - Aluminum Silver
    Price...$589.00
    https://shop.aafes.com/shop/MobileApp/Product.aspx?pfid=X712K2&dept_id=7783&gid=

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi you like Toshiba... really... I've replaced more dead hard drives in toshiba's than any other brand of laptop... They normally just die too... No Gateways either... thier bad news...

You do know HP and Compaq are the same manufacturer... since they merged..

Sony makes a nice computer but for whatever reason when re-installing the recovery software on a Sony I've had to remove any extra RAM etc... in order for the recovery disk to work on the puter, then added it back after the re-install...

I have had alienware (before they got bought out), HP, IBM (before they changed names), toshiba, and sony.

The alienware outlasted all of them in the rough and tumble department. It had a cracked case, several pop spills, at least 2 drops from the 2nd floor and still gamed for me. What eventually killed it was the video card overheated as it's fan died. =(

HP pavalion was a widescreen, queen-safe I had. She was nice but though she was a desktop cause if you moved her she hated it. Was not a very moblie device. **sigh**
    Her death was the video card as well.

The IBM I still have and while it's slow its still running and is used for office stuff. sadly Ithink we are gonna retire it this year but not sure yet. Its way overdue for a complatete system wipe. Might just become the kids laptop but we will see

Sony it lasted me a year but with lots of issues. Gave it to my sister who made it run for about 3 years before she sold it as she upgraded.

Toshiba we still have but now collects thus. The power jack is lose and no one is willing to fix it locally. It needs a replacement power jack sodered on. Toshiba wants too much to fix it + shipping for sometime I can do if I had the da*** part. It is our backup laptop and thus why I have not opened it up and repaired myself. However i have a new addition coming before the end of year another toshiba so this one may finally get operated on.

Try this:
    Lenovo Black Friday Deals STILL LIVE!

Edit: okay nm then

BTW, I hate windows 8

Do tell. The new toshia I am looking at comes with windows 8 but its not touch screen.
    I don't like what Isaw on win 7 so never upgraded still running xp but alas win 8 appears to be what i will have to get.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Jedi I'll pm you the local place to get that power connector replaced...

You have a one of a kind there if you haven't had to replace the hard drive because of failure as of yet on the Toshiba...

Not sure what I think as of yet of Windows 8... but windows 7 pro is solid... it isn't vista that is for sure...

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Jedi I'll pm you the local place to get that power connector replaced...

You have a one of a kind there if you haven't had to replace the hard drive because of failure as of yet on the Toshiba...

Not sure what I think as of yet of Windows 8... but windows 7 pro is solid... it isn't vista that is for sure...

Thanks for the tip for the Toshiba.
    Oh snap! I forgot all about VISTA. :wow: that means I'm about to make a 3 OS jump from XP -> VISTA -> Win 7 -> Win 8 and I feel that Win 8 is gonna be :xmad: but we will see.

Those "big buttons" as the start up screen don't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Yes I know you can "hide" them.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30

Is this more your taste?
    pp1.jpg

tumblr_mbchkfpDqz1qi6sx0o1_500.jpg

pinkamx_8473_resized.jpg

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Windows 7 is decent. If you're going to 8 from XP, good luck. It's like iWindows. You'll:wwub: it :puke: They did away with the start button, in 7, they just shrunk it. The "start" button turns the computer screen into an iphone. And there's apps that run, not in a window, but full screen only. It's like the vista widget bar took over the whole computer.

dansgotguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 7, 2012
    Portage
    So far this trip to the naval base has been terrible, for some reason my registration isn't in my car, so can't drive onto base. Have to walk with my wife and 16 month old son.......not been good. They don't have my rank, so ok screwed there. And the px I'm at doesn't have but 6 high end laptops over prices. Debating on going on a very far walk to the "student px" which supposedly has more laptops

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Windows 7 is decent. If you're going to 8 from XP, good luck. It's like iWindows. You'll:wwub: it :puke: They did away with the start button, in 7, they just shrunk it. The "start" button turns the computer screen into an iphone. And there's apps that run, not in a window, but full screen only. It's like the vista widget bar took over the whole computer.

Your s*** me right? I don't want to f**** iwin!!! Hum.. wonder if its too late to return the bestbuy laptop considered it has yet to arrive. =)

So far this trip to the naval base has been terrible, for some reason my registration isn't in my car, so can't drive onto base. Have to walk with my wife and 16 month old son.......not been good. They don't have my rank, so ok screwed there. And the px I'm at doesn't have but 6 high end laptops over prices. Debating on going on a very far walk to the "student px" which supposedly has more laptops

=(

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I say thosiba since it does not have win 8. Looking at win8 on youtube omFg!!!! Wtf!!!!!
    Unless u got a touchscreen win8 looks like it needs some 45s in it.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Amd use to be good real value for the money. But they f**** up when the i3,5,7 came out and then amd decided not to compete directly with intel since then they have lost nd lost big time. I will say they are kicking but in the low power stuff but alas not sure they will ever be back as a competitor to intel in desktips.. sad really

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Dan, just make sure you get a bigger usb hard drive to make a image of your puter once you get it like you want it and to do regular backups of your user account to if your going with the Toshiba... cause the hard drive will croak on you and not give you a bit of evidence that it is going to die either... otherwise it will be a good computer...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom