NWI INGO General Post - Part 21 - We can offically drink da moonshine!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    It is grey because when walking around my car I could potentially ALWAYS be heading to the trunk to lock things up. And would be hard for anyone to prove otherwise. Short of them sitting there watching me from the start knowing I was carrying.

So by their law in order to pump gas assuming your trunk is the only lockable area. You would need to get out of the car lock your gun in the trunk pump gas unlock trunk get gun out then get back in the car? Seems like a lot of time unholstering and reholstering.

Edited to add

Disclaimer: just playing devils advocate not only do I avoid Illinois like the plague I will follow all state and local ordinances as the law is written.
    Well play devils advocate all you want but if you are standing next to your car with the gas nozzle in the filler tube, I suspect you'd be prosecuted. If you are in the parking lot of the rest stop, but the trunk is closed and you have a Hostess fruit pie in your mouth, I suspect you'd be prosecuted. If you are in the parking lot of any of the MANY gun free zones, like a hospital parking lot, I suspect you'd be prosecuted.

And to directly address your gas station question, no. Actually when you pump gas you don't get out of the car with the gun at all. You put the gun into the glove box. Lock it. Then get out of the car. Assuming you follow the law.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    It is grey because when walking around my car I could potentially ALWAYS be heading to the trunk to lock things up. And would be hard for anyone to prove otherwise. Short of them sitting there watching me from the start knowing I was carrying.

Edited to add

Disclaimer: just playing devils advocate not only do I avoid Illinois like the plague I will follow all state and local ordinances as the law is written.
    Well play devils advocate all you want but if you are standing next to your car with the gas nozzle in the filler tube, I suspect you'd be prosecuted. If you are in the parking lot of the rest stop, but the trunk is closed and you have a Hostess fruit pie in your mouth, I suspect you'd be prosecuted. If you are in the parking lot of any of the MANY gun free zones, like a hospital parking lot, I suspect you'd be prosecuted.

And to directly address your gas station question, no. Actually when you pump gas you don't get out of the car with the gun at all. You put the gun into the glove box. Lock it. Then get out of the car. Assuming you follow the law.
    Should be arrested for the hostess fruit pie if they really are trying to save lives.

You are suspecting a lot when obviously it is by officers discretion and the one I spoke to was under the impression I could do anything with my firearm in the vicinity of the car. But I understand what you’re saying it is the way the law is written.

Again unholstering and reholstering for the glovebox. But the law does not say WHERE you have to lock up the gun. It just says somewhere lockable including the trunk. So my gas station scenario is perfectly legal.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Should be arrested for the hostess fruit pie if they really are trying to save lives.

You are suspecting a lot when obviously it is by officers discretion and the one I spoke to was under the impression I could do anything with my firearm in the vicinity of the car. But I understand what you’re saying it is the way the law is written.

Again unholstering and reholstering for the glovebox. But the law does not say WHERE you have to lock up the gun. It just says somewhere lockable including the trunk. So my gas station scenario is perfectly legal.
    Let us know how that goes for you if you get arrested and try that defense in court.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Let us know how that goes for you if you get arrested and try that defense in court.
    Which defense? The hostess? Officers discretion? Or the perfectly legal scenario of “securing” the firearm in the trunk as they laid out in their law.37BBD701-0ADB-4DF8-B535-EF84030A3E93.jpeg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom