NWI INGO General Post Part 20 - Raccons 4 Life!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I swear the Hodgkins, IL UPS hub is a damn black hole. Any package I have that goes there gets stuck for days. Have a package that was scheduled for delivery on the 9th(Thurs) which arrived there on the 8th. It's still there, and I can't make a claim with Amazon until the 14th :rolleyes:
    My recent shipment of primers from MidwayUSA went into a UPS black hole after I was notified of shipment and given a tracking number. When I checked the status each day, it would tell me to check back tomorrow. I finally called Midway and they told me UPS was running up to 25 days on Haz Mat shipments. They did finally surface and I received them in 21 days.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    After 10yrs and putting $200 into our washer and dryer in the last year we went out and bought a speed queen washer and gas dryer to replace the kenmore electric dryer and washer.
    We went through too many washers and dryers over a period of 15 years. They kept having electronics failures. We will generally fix them once and replace if they break again unless it's a small cost item. On the advice of the repairman who we became way too familiar with, we purchased a Speed Queen commercial grade washer and a Maytag Centennial dryer from Blink Appliance in Lynwood. Both are equipped with old school electromechanical controls, not circuit boards, plus they were made in the USA. They are clunky and noisy, just like my mom's machines were when I was a kid. We are hoping that they will give us some longer life. At some point in the near future, these types of machines will no longer exist as manufacturers are forced to build more energy and water efficient units.

CheeseRat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2021
    NWI
    We went through too many washers and dryers over a period of 15 years. They kept having electronics failures. We will generally fix them once and replace if they break again unless it's a small cost item. On the advice of the repairman who we became way too familiar with, we purchased a Speed Queen commercial grade washer and a Maytag Centennial dryer from Blink Appliance in Lynwood. Both are equipped with old school electromechanical controls, not circuit boards, plus they were made in the USA. They are clunky and noisy, just like my mom's machines were when I was a kid. We are hoping that they will give us some longer life. At some point in the near future, these types of machines will no longer exist as manufacturers are forced to build more energy and water efficient units.
    Old or old style equipment is the kind of stuff you invest money on repairing, if needed. Most everything built now is throw aways. Same in the billion dollar industry we all live near or work at. It's really unreal how delicate some of the stuff is. Smaller, sleeker, more computery but fragile. I'm hoping to hang on to what came with the house for a while, but I took a snapshot of this for later. Thx

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    One of the biggest mistakes I made when we moved into this house 12 years ago was replace the washer and dryer. I had a 7-8-year old 'middle of the road' Maytag set. No computers, nothing fancy, but always got the clothes clean. Saw a sale at Lowe's on Samsung and decided to splurge on a fancy set (front loader, steam, etc). Bought a $2000 set on sale for $1300 and sold my old Maytags to a friend for a couple hundred bucks. Ended up hating those Samsungs. Front loader washer was a PITA and always stunk, steam settings didn't work, had to do repairs on the electronics of both the washer and dryer. And one of the things I hated the most was that I could not hear when the load was done. There was a little electronic tune similar to the sound of one of those stuffed animals where you press on it's paw and get music. Couldn't even hear it in the next room, so my clothes sat in the dryer and got wrinkled after the tumbling stopped. When the washer broke down for a second time, I got rid of them and bought the simplest Whirlpool set I could find. Top load, simpler controls, nice loud buzzer when the dryer stops. Still electronic, but hopefully more reliable.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Dang, I guess we are lucky. Our front load washer and dryer are close to 10 now I think.

For the stink, you just don't close the door when it is wet. I also use borax in my wash, which helps eliminate odor a lot.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Dang, I guess we are lucky. Our front load washer and dryer are close to 10 now I think.

For the stink, you just don't close the door when it is wet. I also use borax in my wash, which helps eliminate odor a lot.
    Yeah, I figured that out, but it was a huge pain in the ass. Not worth having the front load feature (to me) if I have to constantly dry out under that gasket every time I use it, and then leave it open. It's a tradeoff. Now I have short girl problems with the top loader. I need a stool to reach down to the bottom.

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    My wife is drawn to tourist traps like a moth to a night time flame. I agreed to drive over to Johnson's in Hobart this afternoon to check out the sunflower field and get some produce items. I love sunflowers and used to grow them 8-10 feet high every summer. I gave it up a few years ago when the suburban squirrels around here started destroying them.

Anyway, I took this photo. It's not something you can see everywhere. The field was also buzzing with honey bees and bumble bees.

1EE42233-ECF4-41F8-B3A5-EBF49E7F2D76_1_105_c.jpeg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    After 10yrs and putting $200 into our washer and dryer in the last year we went out and bought a speed queen washer and gas dryer to replace the kenmore electric dryer and washer.

200 in 10 years ain't too bad.
    My stuff is 30 years old. I'll fix them. They seem to have less problems than the newer stuff.

Though, I have heard good stuff on the speed queen stuff.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    200 in 10 years ain't too bad.
    My stuff is 30 years old. I'll fix them. They seem to have less problems than the newer stuff.

Though, I have heard good stuff on the speed queen stuff.
    Yeah but now anything else that breaks is aproaching the cost of a new set or parts are no longer available. We're hoping to get at least 10yrs and cut our nipsco bill by going to gas.

Our first apartment was electric only and when we moved into the house 2 yrs later there was no point to change but with a house of 4 now electric is no longer viable for us.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Well, Monday I'm calling to make an appointment to start the process of my retirement.
    I've got questions to ask, and forms to file.
    I'm shooting for last day of work Dec 30. 5 weeks vacation. Then never go back.

Depends what comes of the meeting.

Course, after taking the stairs cause the elevator ALWAYS breaks on a weekend, I want to leave TONIGHT.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Yeah but now anything else that breaks is aproaching the cost of a new set or parts are no longer available. We're hoping to get at least 10yrs and cut our nipsco bill by going to gas.

Our first apartment was electric only and when we moved into the house 2 yrs later there was no point to change but with a house of 4 now electric is no longer viable for us.
    The electric I can see getting rid of.
    But parts are out there. If you do the work yourself.
    Paying a repairman, that's what kills you.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Set meetings with both the company and the union. When I retired the benefits people at the union hall (Local 1010) were way more helpful discussing options. YMMV. Good luck.
    The meeting I'm setting will be with the union, to get everything straight, and get walked through the process.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom