Not open for further replies.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Never owned a diesel pickup.

But with cars you get significantly better performance and better fuel economy. A 2 liter diesel will out perform most 3 liter gas engines and turn in better fuel economy than a 2 liter gas. A 3 liter diesel will outperform a 4 liter gas, and do a reasonable job of performing against a 5 liter gas engine. In fact my 3 liter diesel Audi 4 door grandpa sedan will run right along side a 5.0 Mustang.

So if you want to make a comparison, compare fun to drive, high performance along with fuel economy. The most direct fuel economy you can run is that a diesel will give you 30% more mpg than a gas engine, so when you make a cost per gallon comparison you save a bit of $$$ if the cost of gas is greater than 30% cheaper than the cost of diesel. I buy my diesel in Illinois because its 30-cents a gallon cheaper than diesel in Indiana.

Not my experience. I had a bunch of Cat 31xx series diesel trucks. Hundreds and hundreds of thousands of miles on those.

My diesel cars are pushing 120K and 150k respectively and no engine issues. I may be buried in one of them, they may outlast me.
    Ours has been solid. Yearly maintenance is all I can think of that we've done with it. Of course we don't have all of that emissions garbage on ours.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    He was also wading. THAT'S AGAINST THE LAW!

Read in Gladys Kravits voice.
    Gladys%2Bkravitz.jpg

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    People forget about air intakes, and electrical stuff.
    I'd have been pointing at him and laughing loudly.

Yup. I'd guess the motor swallowed quite a bit of water and is now hydro locked.
    Best case pull the plugs and wing the motor over and get the water out. Squirt a tiny bit of oil in the cylinders and crank some more. Reinstall plugs. Change air filter. Good to go.
    More than likely bent rods and needs motor rebuilt or replaced

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Old cars with the air intake on top of the carburetor (for the young'uns, that is what used to mix air and gas for combustion) it was back pressure on the exhaust that killed them. Sometimes a cracked distributor cap (again for the kids, a system that allocated the power to the spark plugs {do cars still have them?} for ignition) would stall a car in heavy rain, let alone plowing through a flood.

On the street where I grew up (a busy secondary road between towns) there was a low spot that would flood when we had a high tide (Jersey shore). We would stand on one side and wait for a car to get stuck in the middle. We would push it out and not ask for anything, but a lot of people would slip us a dollar or two. That would pay for pop and pinball at the marina.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Yup. I'd guess the motor swallowed quite a bit of water and is now hydro locked.
    Best case pull the plugs and wing the motor over and get the water out. Squirt a tiny bit of oil in the cylinders and crank some more. Reinstall plugs. Change air filter. Good to go.
    More than likely bent rods and needs motor rebuilt or replaced

So in layman's term how much you think its gonna cost that guy to repair his car?

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Dear Illinois,
    Go back to your state of quarantine.
    Sincerely,
    Indiana

I bet we hadn't walked 1 1/2 miles & have seen over 100 IL vehicles.

The IL news stations were on yesterday saying their beaches are still closed, but you can go to Indiana's beaches.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Dear Illinois,
    Go back to your state of quarantine.
    Sincerely,
    Indiana

I bet we hadn't walked 1 1/2 miles & have seen over 100 IL vehicles.

The IL news stations were on yesterday saying their beaches are still closed, but you can go to Indiana's beaches.

Should do like FL n just barraicde 80_94?
    :rofl: imagine the long line that would form

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom