• Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Roads to train station weren't great. Trains running fine. It's funny, seen sports cars make it up a hill, but watched 2 4WD vehicles turn around and passed a third one because they were sliding and not making it up either. If you don't know how to drive 4WD put it in 2, and drive like those in the cars, because they knew what they were doing. Ok, think I'm done ranting.
    Now, let's see how long I work, or if I get furlough again. Totally love vacation days when I don't want them, or going without pay.

Are you sure they really were 4wd vehicles? Many SUVs only look like they have 4wd but actually have 2wd because their owners were too stupid to pick & pay for the 4wd option. Lots of Ford Escapes, Honda CRVs and similar vehicles are just 2wd vehicles dressed up as 4wd SUVs.

Also there are a lot of different 4wd systems out there, some are far less capable than others. Most are actually "all wheel" drive instead of 4wd. 4wd systems are found on things like the more rugged Jeep vehicles but the brand uses less capable AWD systems on their light duty vehicles. BMW's "X Drive" is a rear wheel drive system with front assist but most of the power is focused on the rear. Honda uses a system that is almost the opposite of the BMW with a front wheel system that has a rear assist. Audi has 2 different Quattro systems, each is different. The "3" system is the cheaper system and less snow/mud capable than the Quattro they put on their 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 series cars.

Motor Mouth: The difference between AWD and 4WD

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Are you sure they really were 4wd vehicles? Many SUVs only look like they have 4wd but actually have 2wd because their owners were too stupid to pick & pay for the 4wd option. Lots of Ford Escapes, Honda CRVs and similar vehicles are just 2wd vehicles dressed up as 4wd SUVs.

Also there are a lot of different 4wd systems out there, some are far less capable than others. Most are actually "all wheel" drive instead of 4wd. 4wd systems are found on things like the more rugged Jeep vehicles but the brand uses less capable AWD systems on their light duty vehicles. BMW's "X Drive" is a rear wheel drive system with front assist but most of the power is focused on the rear. Honda uses a system that is almost the opposite of the BMW with a front wheel system that has a rear assist. Audi has 2 different Quattro systems, each is different. The "3" system is the cheaper system and less snow/mud capable than the Quattro they put on their 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 series cars.

Motor Mouth: The difference between AWD and 4WD

My Escape handles very good for an intelligent AWD.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Coming down pretty good in Crown Point. Got 3-4" since last night.

Im estimating a good 5-6" in north Hobart so far. Supposed to snow off and on thru Sunday morning now and i believe they were talking lake effect kicking in sometime today

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    My Escape handles very good for an intelligent AWD.

First you actually checked the AWD option box, second you probably have a decent set of tires that actually have tread, third, its lightweight and AWD works pretty darn well with a light vehicle.

But we cannot assume that many vehicles that look like AWD/4WD vehicles actually have that feature or that they have reasonable tires. There are lots of front wheel drive Ford Escapes on the street that do not handle as well as yours in the snow because they are just faux SUVs.

Im estimating a good 5-6" in north Hobart so far. Supposed to snow off and on thru Sunday morning now and i believe they were talking lake effect kicking in sometime today
    We got about 3.5" at the state line in southwestern Lake county. Still coming down but it seems to have let up quite a bit. Weather maps/radar indicate we get snow until late morning and then it lets up. There is another 'storm' coming in from the west. So no lake effect for us later but we will get another front coming in later today, after a reprieve in the mid-day.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Good lord! I must be doing something wrong with my 93 Toyota Camry, I have no problem getting around. Most people just need to learn how to drive.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The sports cars probably had Winter tires.

AWD and 4x4s are not all they are made out to be by the manufacturers.

Bingo!

And add to that the fact that so many people who own them assume that their AWD/4WD vehicle is a super snow machine that they don't bother to drive like a sane human.

Most people just need to learn how to drive.
    YUP ... this :rockwoot:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Bingo!

And add to that the fact that so many people who own them assume that their AWD/4WD vehicle is a super snow machine that they don't bother to drive like a sane human.

YUP ... this :rockwoot:

As I said in the Rep, That is all conditions in all vehicles these days.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    My ex has an escape. I liked how all the wheels would light up on the dash based on how much power was going to them.

It's still coming down up north. The dogs are loving it.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Still coming down.
    And from my earlier post, both had 4x4 on the side of the vehicle. I might have been mistaken on the Cherokee but I passed that idiot and no issues. No issues for the vehicles behind either. I think those three were no traction so they hit gas harder instead of slowing down to let tires grip.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    There was no power east of North shore mes center in Lake Station when i left work at 11am. All the way down to at least rt51 on central ave. Mikes gas stop, chase bank, papa johns, wendys etc. Cluster f**k at central and 51 because idiots dont know how to treat an intersection when the lights arent working. Not sure if power was restored yet

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Unassembled snowmen for sale and ready for pick up today and tomorrow in Portage. Location: My Driveway

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom