• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

I don't know if I was weak-kneed, but perhaps I was.

My thinking was that with Sandy Hook there would be 26 funerals, all in Newtown, CT. The national media coverage would be massive, but the local impact stuff would be limited to basically one (1) county in Connecticut. The same with most other mass shootings.

The Las Vegas shooting is another matter. The national news coverage would of course be exactly the same. That is a zero sum game. All the national news outlets will do the same thing, so no big difference there. However, the difference is that the 58 deaths may well be spread all over the country. So if half of them are all in the same towns, that is adding on 29 local news coverage all showing the horror brought home. If the 500+ wounded were all overlapping again by just half then that is 250+ local news outlets all telling the tragedy and horror of the event for their local survivor. This doesn't even count the maybe thousands of social media outlets like Facebook posts all telling either a first hand horror story and/or a friends horror story.

There are three (3) "sides" to almost any issue: Those for, those against, and those on the fence. In this case those for more gun control will be out there screaming, as usual. Those against (that's us), understand that no additional legislation will stop this tragedy. These sides almost never change. However, I expected those on the fence to be pushed more toward our opponents side. To demand something be done.

With that concern (or weak-kneed approach) I thought the NRA was correct to at least show some flexibility on potential new bump-stock regulations.

This is where I WAS WRONG. According to the poll those on the fence either didn't get off of it OR they don't care OR they are more reasonable than I imagined. As I am a cynic I chafe at the third explanation, but perhaps there is hope.

With that in mind I will re-clarify that I never supported banning or unilateral surrender, only that the NRA may have been correct on being willing to not fight new bump-stock regulations if and only if they received some benefit for firearms owners, such as immediate national reciprocity. There could be others that don't come to mind right now.

Overall we are going down a path where the younger generation does not appreciate the importance of ALL of the rights the Bill of Rights is designed to protect. A growing percentage of them say we don't "need" automatic weapons. A growing percentage of them don't believe that "hate speech" (whatever that is) is not or should not be protected by the 1st Amendment. So I thought this would also contribute to a push for greater regulation(s).

I am glad I was wrong.

I hope this illuminates a bit.

Regards,

Doug

PS - I still reserve the right to equivocate depending upon how this issue/event plays out in the 2018 elections. And I hope I remain wrong.

I still remember after Sandy Hook I was the weak kneed one. I was ready to capitulate on some of the "common sense" gun laws being foisted on us by the usual suspects. In my mind it was prudent to take as small a hit as we had to to get past the outrage. I believed the conventional wisdom that those "reasonable restrictions" were popular and would have little trouble sailing through...the only issue was to limit the damage as much as possible. That time though he cry was "not one more inch!". Even over a pile of dead children (to be blunt), the NRA and most of INGO stood strong. I was convinced to change my mind then and I saw this event as one that didn't require retreat.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Apparently so. I was wrong.

I have to adjust my thinking and learn from my error.

Doug

I think EVERYONE should try to learn.
    And I think we should NOT become complacent. If we sit back and relax because "this has happened before and nothing came of it", well then the anti-gunners will make progress.
    So we have to make sure to educate those "on the fence" and to make our voices heard to our officials.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    For me, I remember the Clinton Assault Weapons Ban.

I remember all the "we need to give in so that we don' lose more" speeches.
    And I remember the ink wasn't even dry when calls were made for the next batch of gun control bills.

I remember blaming "Saturday Night Specials", "Assault Weapons", "Background checks", "fully automatics", "semi-automatics", "sniper rifles".... and the list goes on and on.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I think EVERYONE should try to learn.
    And I think we should NOT become complacent. If we sit back and relax because "this has happened before and nothing came of it", well then the anti-gunners will make progress.
    So we have to make sure to educate those "on the fence" and to make our voices heard to our officials.

Maybe people are. Im as bad as anyone with my cynicism towards the culture and the idiocy we see all around us. But it does appear these events are having diminishing effects on the knee jerk reaction to cry out for more gun control. Maybe we are reaching out... :dunno:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe people are. Im as bad as anyone with my cynicism towards the culture and the idiocy we see all around us. But it does appear these events are having diminishing effects on the knee jerk reaction to cry out for more gun control. Maybe we are reaching out... :dunno:

That's why I TRY to keep my snarkiness down.
    Unless I'm dealing with a rabid anti-gunner.

But there's a chance to affect people on the fence.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's why I TRY to keep my snarkiness down.
    Unless I'm dealing with a rabid anti-gunner.

But there's a chance to affect people on the fence.

Yeah, you rarely change minds by being a jerk. I've made a hand full of offers to take people shooting to get them introduced but so far, my timing's been off or something because I haven't gotten any takers yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah, you rarely change minds by being a jerk. I've made a hand full of offers to take people shooting to get them introduced but so far, my timing's been off or something because I haven't gotten any takers yet.

I to have a standing offer. They can either come over and I will unlock the safes. We can have a cup of coffee and discuss the current state of society while waiting foe my guns to escape on their own and go on a rampage. Or we can go to the range, on me, and I will introduce them to our hobby/passion/obsession.

I have had maybe 3 people take me up on the range trip 2 females and one of their girlie man husbands. He was a total douche until a few trips to the line. Not sure if any of them have bought a gun yet but we are doing all we can.

There has been a few that crossed on their own. We have assisted then in finding a handgun and getting some training.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I to have a standing offer. They can either come over and I will unlock the safes. We can have a cup of coffee and discuss the current state of society while waiting foe my guns to escape on their own and go on a rampage. Or we can go to the range, on me, and I will introduce them to our hobby/passion/obsession.

I have had maybe 3 people take me up on the range trip 2 females and one of their girlie man husbands. He was a total douche until a few trips to the line. Not sure if any of them have bought a gun yet but we are doing all we can.

There has been a few that crossed on their own. We have assisted then in finding a handgun and getting some training.

Did you mean to double post...?

Doug

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Did you mean to double post....?

Doug:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    And in case anyone thinks we need to give a little to prevent it from getting worse......

Rob Kneaul
    2 weeks ago
    I'm calling for legislation to ban magazine fed or clip fed firearms with a clause requiring all firearms to be modified to be fed a single bullet at a time making it a felony to possess a firearm that is anything but single bullet at a time fed after the five year implementation period with a magazine of not more than fifteen bullets. Also make it a felony to possess hardware that makes quick feeding of magazines possible. If you need more than fifteen bullets at a time for self defense you're either an idiot or a horrible shot.

OPINION | To stop slaughter in America we must remove Republican officials - New York Daily News | outdonews.com

Okay, counter proposal... all bloggers, news outlets, etc. may only use keyboards with one letter. Nobody needs that many keys. If you need more than one key, you're either an idiot or a horrible typist. ;)

ETA: And that one key should be the space bar.

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Okay, counter proposal... all bloggers, news outlets, etc. may only use keyboards with one letter. Nobody needs that many keys. If you need more than one key, you're either an idiot or a horrible typist. ;)

ETA: And that one key should be the space bar.

:yesway:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Oh goody. An anti-gunner steps into the Facebook anti-gunners say the darndest things and posts

Nate Gibson

I agree. When you look at the science behind gun violence, it’s pretty hard to not support stricter regulation

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Oh goody. An anti-gunner steps into the Facebook anti-gunners say the darndest things and posts

Nate Gibson

I agree. When you look at the science behind gun violence, it’s pretty hard to not support stricter regulation

The "science" behind gun violence? What science is that, exactly?

So far, the only science concerning gun violence that I've seen touted by gun control zealot is political science cherrypicking statistics towards their own goals.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The "science" behind gun violence? What science is that, exactly?

So far, the only science concerning gun violence that I've seen touted by gun control zealot is political science cherrypicking statistics towards their own goals.

I made a post asking if he was going to quote statistics from the Kellerman study. Then I mentioned that I hope so, since the Kellerman study was debunked.
    I'm hoping he was just a troll, trolling a pro-gun site, and not returning.
    I am losing energy for proving the same points over and over.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    DOJ/ATF Announce Plan to Review Legal Classification of Bump Fire Stocks

DQTl17rX0AAKSxE.jpg:large

Top Bottom