Northwest Indiana Gun Owners # 25 good morning all.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    Did one earlier in the week. It sucked. Again. Pellet smokers are junk and don't give any smoke flavor. View attachment 296427
    Agree. If I’m smoking something I want to know it at the end. Otherwise I’d use an oven / crockpot / grill… I had those bear claws I didn’t like them and just went back to using forks, do you really like them?

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    Agree. If I’m smoking something I want to know it at the end. Otherwise I’d use an oven / crockpot / grill… I had those bear claws I didn’t like them and just went back to using forks, do you really like them?
    They do OK but if you really want to change the game. Toss the shoulder part by part into the kitchen aid.. But on slow. Dead slow...

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Did one earlier in the week. It sucked. Again. Pellet smokers are junk and don't give any smoke flavor. View attachment 296427
    I had a Traeger from Costco but it never worked right. Returned it and ended up getting a Grilla Grills Silverback. The thing is a tank and works like a charm. Not an overwhelming smoky flavor but enough to tell it was done on a smoker. The ease of the smoker with a wife and two kids is a big draw for me. Maybe one day I'll try an offset.

They are fine. I bought them years ago at Cabela's as a cool shiny object. I still use them instead of my hands while the pork is hot. They are handy if I pull it off a bit early and its not super tender, but if I do my part on the smoker the butt just falls apart and they aren't really necessary.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Sounds like someone doesn't know how to smoke a pork shoulder. :dunno: I have no issues getting a good smokey flavor on my pellet smoker.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I for sure don't know, but I'm willing to learn! And I will.

1. Rub your meat.
    2. Slap your meat on the smoker
    3. Drink
    4. Pull at 203-205 when probes like butter.

Pork butt is probably the easiest thing to smoke, just have to make sure it gets to temp all the way through otherwise you'll have a hard time pulling it. I usually throw mine in a foil pan with just a tiny bit of apple juice in the bottom (fat side down), just to help keep it moist. You'll still get a nice bark on the top and sides.

CTC B4Z

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    nUe-ten Kownt
    You for sure will not get a good smoke flavor from any pellet smoker. I've been using this thing for 7 years with 50 different pellet brands.

If you want good authentic smoke you gotta go wood.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    You for sure will not get a good smoke flavor from any pellet smoker. I've been using this thing for 7 years with 50 different pellet brands.

If you want good authentic smoke you gotta go wood.
    Like I said, not overwhelming, but its there. I've had good success with the Cookin' Pellets. It helps to get a strong flavored pellet like hickory, I don't really see any difference between the more mild flavors. The Costco kirkland brand ones aren't too bad either, but not very strong flavor wise.

Where do you all get your pork butts from? Do the normal grocers have them, or you have to order them, or particular places?

Costco has 2 packs of boneless butts. Stracks and most grocery stores carry them. You could also try Rob's, Welch's, The Butcher Block, Howard's and Sons, Beef Mart, or even Howe Farms.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom