• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Who goes to the movies anymore? If I wanted to waste $20 on movies and $10 on popcorn and $5 on soda, I'd go to Walmart, buy 4 DVDs at $5 apiece, eight boxes of popcorn at $1.25 apiece, and two 12-packs of Mt. Dew and then throw them in the trash.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I do agree that "no firearms" is not LEGALLY enforceable, that is you cannot have LE arrest someone for ignoring it. My question is about the sign that states that a person carrying a firearm is denied entry. I've not seen them anywhere, so I can't even imagine where to start looking for something like that.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    That's okay. I just wanted to make it clear that I never claimed that.

Yes, because you can not address inanimate objects with this law. They do not qualify as "a person". When a person reads such a sign they can ignore anything that does not address their person specifically. Even though they may or may not be carrying a gun, have shoes on or not, have a dog with them, have food in their pocket ... doesn't matter. The law only allows the addressing of the person, not the objects on or around them (and arguably in them too).

Does this mean I can walk into a ladies shower room at the local Y then? It says no men allowed and does not say anything about trespassing?

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Of course, you just can't go in the men's shower room. We're all afraid of fluffy bunnies.

attachment.php

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I do agree that "no firearms" is not LEGALLY enforceable, that is you cannot have LE arrest someone for ignoring it. My question is about the sign that states that a person carrying a firearm is denied entry. I've not seen them anywhere, so I can't even imagine where to start looking for something like that.

I've seen one at a movie theatre. Freaked me out and was very well worded.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Looks like we're about to have a test case on these questions.

However, might want to contact a defense attorney before putting your liberty at risk.

:popcorn:

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Does this mean I can walk into a ladies shower room at the local Y then? It says no men allowed and does not say anything about trespassing?

That would be iffy. Describing your gender on the sign would be addressing your person, not an object in the case of a gun. I think it would have to say something about trespassing to hold legal weight though.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    That would be iffy. Describing your gender on the sign would be addressing your person, not an object in the case of a gun. I think it would have to say something about trespassing to hold legal weight though.
    Isn't a sign consisting of all persons carrying a firearm onto the premises and trespassing addressing specific persons?

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Isn't a sign consisting of all persons carrying a firearm onto the premises and trespassing addressing specific persons?

No, because you can only address the person, not things on, in, or around them.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas

Bingo. I believe you are addressing specific persons by adding the caveat that if they have a particular item, they specifically are not allowed.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    They ARE addressing the PERSON(S) carrying a specific prohibited item.

No, they are addressing the person and the object. "a person" takes away ability to legally address the gun.

And you just said it yourself "prohibited item". That is a policy. Their policies are not enforceable by law.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    No, they are addressing the person and the object. "a person" takes away ability to legally address the gun.

And you just said it yourself "prohibited item". That is a policy. Their policies are not enforceable by law.

Then why can you be trespassed after they ask you to leave? They are just enforcing their policy of "no firearms." Only difference is they have now verbally told you instead of telling you by way of signage.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Then why can you be trespassed after they ask you to leave? They are just enforcing their policy of "no firearms." Only difference is they have now verbally told you instead of telling you by way of signage.

Because they have a right to address your person and request you to leave for any reason (well almost any reason, for example if they say "get that black skinned guy out of here" they are likely violating other federal laws). Like I've said before, many times I believe, that is the only way they can enforce their policies. By addressing you specifically with the request, or rather demand, to leave. A sign saying you can't enter if you have this or that is addressing the presence of an object not you.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

Skip the wording I used of "prohibited". You know full well they are addressing the person. The signage posted up front that notates trespassing by specific persons is a specific denial of entry. No different than what stephan is referring to as being trespassed after the fact.

Top Bottom