• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    What if your a strict kosher diabetic. I've not seen kosher foods offered at movie theaters. Shouldn't they be required to provide whatever religious or dietary snacks are required by whatever small minority that enters their theater?
    (assuming purple where required)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The sodas at the movie theater aren't overpriced if drink, like, 23 of the 44 ouncers during the movie, plus get a refill on your way out. That's pretty economical per ounce of soda if you do the math. Just don't let them give you too much ice. They always try to cheat you with the ice.

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I remember once when the wife and I were at a Harry Potter Movie on opening night (I think it was the 1st or second movie, actually) in Bloomington, there was a guy in line ahead of us with a sub from Subway. A footlong sub, in plain view. Manager simply walked by, looked it over and said "Enjoy!" Pretty ballsy to OC a footlong.

I CC a footlong everywhere... :joke:

I prefer to take a can of dip in the NPE (Non Permissive Environment) of a movie theatre. Small snack of peanut butter M&M's and popcorn, then a fat lip of delicious wintergreen....

Gross, I know, but I'm courteous enough not to do it if there's someone sitting next to me (or even fairly close). Most of the time I see movies that are way old and have eight people in the theatre...

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Great analogy thread. Here is the major problem with any such sign carrying the weight of law:

No outside food or drink allow (that is the law they are creating). Violators will be treated as trespassers (that is the charge they are creating for such action).

They don't have the power to create such law, even on their own property, that says no outside food or drink allowed. Because they have no such power they also have no such power to apply a legal penalty to such invalid law. The only recourse they have is their right, under Indiana law, to force you to vacate the property.

That is why even a sign like this for guns: "Absolutely no guns, knifes, or weapons allowed. Violators will be treated as trespassers" holds no weight of law. The law does not give them a right to define what is or is not trespassing. Either they tell you specifically you can not enter or they don't.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Great analogy thread. Here is the major problem with any such sign carrying the weight of law:

No outside food or drink allow (that is the law they are creating). Violators will be treated as trespassers (that is the charge they are creating for such action).

They don't have the power to create such law, even on their own property, that says no outside food or drink allowed. Because they have no such power they also have no such power to apply a legal penalty to such invalid law. The only recourse they have is their right, under Indiana law, to force you to vacate the property.

That is why even a sign like this for guns: "Absolutely no guns, knifes, or weapons allowed. Violators will be treated as trespassers" holds no weight of law. The law does not give them a right to define what is or is not trespassing. Either they tell you specifically you can not enter or they don't.

You bring up some very interesting, and in my opinion, very valid points.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I heard on :ingo: that if you bring your own M&Ms into a movie theater back east they will send in three jackboots to taze you and strangle you to death. But it will all be okay because an investigation of the officers by the officers will confirm they did everything by the book.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The only recourse they have is their right, under Indiana law, to force you to vacate the property.

Actually forcing you to vacate would be a VERY risky proposition on their part unless you were being dangerous in some way. They would open themselves up to battery. If they asked you to leave and you refused, then their best recourse would be to call police. The police could force you to leave by arresting you.

Most people misunderstand what "trespass" is. The common law definition of trespass is the entering of another's property with some malicious intent. So if I walked peacefully across a landowners property without permission, even if it was posted "No Trespassing" I have not violated that because I didn't do or intend to do anything malicious. Now if I had bolt cutters, a hacksaw, a large sack, and a gun, it might be much easier to prove that I intended to commit a burglary and then may have committed trespass.

Of course most states, including Indiana, have actual trespass statutes now and there is a definition in IC for "criminal trespass". It would be a stretch to make even the refusal to leave when asked "criminal trespass" but it could happen. But Twizzlers, that could do it!!

Again, I'm thinking you'd have to have done MORE than just carry in a bag of contraband M&M's to get things to such a state that you're asked to leave and the police are putting you in handcuffs.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Actually forcing you to vacate would be a VERY risky proposition on their part unless you were being dangerous in some way. They would open themselves up to battery. If they asked you to leave and you refused, then their best recourse would be to call police. The police could force you to leave by arresting you.

Most people misunderstand what "trespass" is. The common law definition of trespass is the entering of another's property with some malicious intent. So if I walked peacefully across a landowners property without permission, even if it was posted "No Trespassing" I have not violated that because I didn't do or intend to do anything malicious. Now if I had bolt cutters, a hacksaw, a large sack, and a gun, it might be much easier to prove that I intended to commit a burglary and then may have committed trespass.

Of course most states, including Indiana, have actual trespass statutes now and there is a definition in IC for "criminal trespass". It would be a stretch to make even the refusal to leave when asked "criminal trespass" but it could happen. But Twizzlers, that could do it!!

Again, I'm thinking you'd have to have done MORE than just carry in a bag of contraband M&M's to get things to such a state that you're asked to leave and the police are putting you in handcuffs.

By "force" I did not mean physically. Bad choice of words on my part. I meant force as in require you to leave by verbally demanding it.

It would be very hard in Indiana to get any trespassing charge to hold up in court so as long as you left when asked, especially by a police officer on behalf of the property owner. Exceptions would be prior court or police orders not to return or a contractual agreement between you and the property owner to never return.

Daggy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2014
    South Bend
    So where would they draw the line? I assume a bucket from KFC is too much? Not that I can hide an entire KFC bucket on my person anywhere...

Top Bottom