• Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    08:10 Day 5

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

You sit at the desk writing out a message for the group explaining that you will do a more thorough search, inventory and recon of Mr Koontz’s house, buildings and property.

Then, a knock at the door. Everyone freezes in the home. Again, a knock at the door. You quietly get up, motion to everyone to stay quiet and out of sight.

You duck under the inner curtain and pull the corner of the outer curtain back so that you can see who it is knocking. As you get a look they knock again, it somewhat startles you. They step back and you see that it is Gary Lewis from across the street, the North of the two who were arguing over the gas can right after all this started.

You have everyone stay back and you grab your coat and open the door and walk outside as if your checking the vehicles.

Mr. Lewis steps back as you walk out the door. He is not dressed warmly and his teeth are chattering as he is holding a small one gallon gas can with his weak hand in his jeans pocket.

Being ready to run means that your coat is hanging over your insulated slip on water proof heavy soled trail boots which makes it real easy to get out quick.

Since your coat was hanging over an outer parka with outer insulated gloves and a spare skull cap hat in the over size pockets ready and the Eskimo hood with the fur ring on it kept things warm enough and warding off the cold was good to about -20..

“Can I help you Mr Lewis?” As you stand there watching the man do a very difficult thing that comes easy to way too many. He is about to ask for something he can not repay at the moment. He stands on your porch begging you for just one gallon of gas for his generator. You watch him dance because of improper thinking the cold pertaining to his attire. You sit and hear how the baby needs to stay warm, etc. You stop all the groveling and exscuses and ask simply one easy to answer question.

“what do you have to trade?” As he stops short in the sentence he was spitting out beggin for fuel and pauses, sort of give you that dumbfounded head cock that dogs do to tell you they do not understand your command. You can tell, he never thought about trading… Everyone had pushed the system to where the primary sign of capitalism is a possibly worthless piece of paper called a dollar bill. Something that is debatably worth the sweat it wipes up.. Gary asks “What do you want Mr. Jones?” and follows it up with “Are we bartering?” So you take the opportunity to explain to the man a few things, call it the price of consideration.

You explain, “Well Mr Lewis, I have lived across from you for how long now?” he stops to think, you answer him to the month to make a point. "You have never introduced yourself to me or my family. You automatically go to calling me by my first name having never been formally introduced to me. You don't wait until I express to you to call me Trey which to me shows a complete lack of respect." On a couple of occasions my son has seen you watching my house with binoculars, more so my bedroom window, probably trying to get a look at my wife while she changes or walks out of the shower, even though we have blinds, curtains and shades pulled on every window during such times."

You continue as the man is now standing as still as he can looking at your feet. “You speak to my wife by her first name and since we have never been introduced you show even more disrespect of her then me. You cause commotion on this block on the average of once a month during the summer, especially when your off work milking a hand injury and staying up all hours of the night drinking and carrying on and frankly disturbing the peace of our quiet neighborhood." As you continue your seeing the man melt into his tennis shoes. "You refuse to take part in any of the neighborhood watch programs or even take a shift while people entrust their property to the neighborhood to keep an eye on are away, be it they are out of town on business or for a family function or funeral. You seem to be ok with your daughter’s boy friend coming over at all hours of the night and know he rolls in with his loud exhaust and very, very loud sound system which had to cost thousands even though the boy doesn’t have a job, work that you know of or go to school but leaches off you and your family to get by.. This is how you come to me asking for a gallon of fuel because you were not prepared to care for your family? Do you want me to be responsible for your family?” “Uh,, No sir” he responds, “Not at all Mr. Jones, No sir, uh, I apologize, I mean no disrespect, I never have.”

He stands there for a few seconds as if waiting for you to say it is ok, call me Trey, which you may never do. Finally he says “I can see what I have to trade for some fuel, can you give me an idea of what I may have of value?” Since you have no idea what skills the man has you are left to barter for tangible goods. You ask him, “do you have any charcoal? Firewood?” He responds that he thinks he has some charcoal in the back shed. You explain that for a 5 gallon bucket of charcoal you will give him one gallon of gasoline for his generator.

He nods, goes to walk away, stops, steps back in front of you extends his hand, looks you straight in the eye and says “I will go check Mr Jones, I will have to see if I have a bucket.” You pull your glove off and shake the man’s freezing cold hand and explain that anything close to that amount, say a 10 pound bag or so. Just bring what you have and you will fill his can accordingly. He nods yes and scurries off.

As you walk back in the living room your wife is giving you the stare of daggers, “we can afford to give him a gallon of gas can’t we?” you stand there opening your coat so you don’t get too warm.

You start to explain to everyone who has now come out of hiding and is standing in ear shot of you. Your oldest and your wife still holding on to their shot guns. You explain that you can not afford to give away anything, nothing at all. No charity. If the word gets out that we are giving things away people will come take it.

You explain that everyone must run any and all bartering agreements through you before the transaction is agreed to. “We have to conserve what we have, we don’t know how long this situation will last, and the man needed a lesson in humility and manners…”

Your oldest interrupts to express that the man gives her the willies the way he looks at her and her sister and “especially Mom, he creeps me out!”

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    08:22 Day 5

Again the door is knocked on. With the same procedure you peek to see who it is, no way do you just expect it to be Mr. Lewis and just open the door. Right about now you really wish that you had your security cameras powered by a battery bank charged by solar cells.. It makes it easy to flip the monitor on and see who is standing at the front door, or the back door, or in front of the front or back garage door or the garage doors themselves.

You motion for everyone to get out of sight, all but Trisha who stands to your right just around the corner holding the Mossberg 500 you bought her in 20 gauge. Your 12 Gauge kicked too hard for her little frame.

You look to see it is Mr Lewis, holding his small gas can and a 5 gallon bucket full of charcoal.

You open the door and step out onto the porch. He now has at least a coat on. He looks you straight in the eye and says “here you go Mr Jones, I found a bucket, it won’t hold water but it holds the charcoal you asked for.” He hands you the bucket, you check the heaviness of it’s load, say “let me have your gas can and I will go fill it up.” He almost reluctantly hands you the can and offers to help you if you would like. “NO, stay right here, I will return in a few minutes with your fuel” and you back into the door, Trisha opening the inside door for you.

While the door is locked and you turn around and show your lovely wife your score she gives you a good scowl look still disapproving of the trade..

You tell her, stand here and watch him.

You take the charcoal to the garage and put it on top of your charcoal bin, a used 200 pound carbon drum you nicked from work to store charcoal. It’s much cheaper buying it in large quantities rather then small commercial bags..

You walk over to your gasoline storage area and open the doors, look around and find the siphon hose, open one of your 5 gallon storage containers, stick the siphon in, open his, fill it up, almost to the top, right about the one gallon mark on the side of the container. Put everything back and return to the house. As you tap Trisha on the backside she pulls back from under the inner curtain and says he motioned to someone over his way and “ok” signal.

You stand there smiling from ear to ear as Trisha asks, “what’s so funny?” to which you reply, “dang baby, you look sexy holding your shotty with that serious look on your face..: she smirks at you and tell you to stop..

You peek outside, as you rattle the door handle Mr. Lewis steps back to allow you to walk out on to the porch. As you hear the door lock you hand Mr. Lewis his can back, he looks at it, realizes it is not completely full to which you reply, “there is one gallon there, right to the line.” and he realizes, that is what he agreed to.. He says “Thank you,” shakes your hand, “Thank you Mr. Jones.” Then walks at a fast pace back down your drive.

You back up to your door, open it, walk backwards inside and shut and lock it again. Then sort of celebrate a little that you finally had the chance to say what you always wanted to say to the man..

Trisha still a little miffed at you says “he will be back” to which you reply “Yeap but never again will he call me Trey, stare at you or the girls and will not come empty handed.”

The children are now standing in the room so you take the time to explain.

Life, manners, respect, barter, nothing in life is free, money is worthless right now, wealth is measured in tangible goods and love in the home. As a joke you spout out “group hug” and walk to the middle of the room and surprisingly your wife and her children join you. Your shocked, they have never actually done it even though you joke all the time about it. While everyone is still in the circle basically everyone hugging on Trisha you say a prayer out loud. “Dear Lord, let this family stay healthy, safe and make it through this ordeal together. Let those who need help receive it and those who deserve to be punished for their actions receive your mercy. In Jesus name we pray, Amen” and the whole family says Amen..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Merry Christmas INGO, The story will continue after the holiday, maybe Monday if I get around to it.

Hope you all like this story, if you don't well then why would you read it? LOL

Wishing you and yours an enjoyable holiday season, from me and mine, be well..

TJ

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Makes you think what could happen at any min. Great story TJ. Makes you want to prep even more. You all have a Merry Chritmas.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Thanks, I think I will notify readers of the flow change, I have actually started writing backwards from a few points with alternate outcomes, may redo it but i have to consider the amount of time this whole thing takes, beacuse for the purpose of realism sometimes takes a little research to fill in blanks.

TJ

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just re-read the whole thread!!! According to my cipherin'- The thread was started on 8/30 +5 Days= 4 Sep. Below freezing on 4 Sep? Snow? We be in a heap of trouble:eek::eek::eek:

Bob

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    AH someone finally caught that... There are a few other things of interest that you may have to reread to catch, them..

I am out another day or so already so I will have some more this week..

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    08:50 Day 5

You ask Trisha to relay the message to the group that you coded before Mr. Lewis showed up. You explain to Trisha and remind the rest of the family that no one opens the door except you. Even if someone comes to the door bloody and hurt that you will be the only one who puts the family in danger by letting anyone in or talking to anyone else.

Figuring that Mr. Lewis will come back as soon as he sees you leave instructions are to tell whomever that you cannot help them at this time, come back later.

You don your cold weather gear, Shelly, the youngest and softest hearted comes to you and asks what will happen to the dogs? You explain to her that they should be left in the house to protect Mr. Koontz’s stuff. She asks if they will be warm enough and will they have enough food and water. You explain that there was plenty of food, and if the water in the house runs out you will take some for them.

Hugging Trisha good bye the others say hurry home safe, come back quick, see you later. They show the feelings even if they don’t say the words. They love you, and fee l much safer when your at home.

You grab your tool bag and this time sling your 12 gauge over your shoulder, muzzle up, check the window and open the door to leave.

Walking down your drive you hear a noise to the North. As the snow has covered everything with a nice blanket of sound deadening insulation the sound seems closer then it probably is, especially since there is no traffic or hustle and bustle to drown out the sound you hear.

The sound gets closer you realize it is a flight of choppers. They don’t sound like the other helicopters you have heard, they have a weird subdued sound to them, a stealthy sound.

Walking over and strand next to your truck so you don’t stand out as a figure in the middle of the road or your drive you stop to think that now would have been a good time to have your winter warfare parka on with it’s winter white and subtle camouflage you would not look so conspicuous..

The flight of unusually sounding birds flies over you look up to catch a glimpse of them, they are light grey and white colored and seem to be the new stealth choppers that you had heard on a Discovery Channel program were in development. Looks they got rushed into service, interesting looking birds, but why are they here..

As they pass over and you watch them leave the area you get back to your walk down to Mr. Koontz’s house. You walk along the side of the road where the leaves and other debris has piled up over the windy fall days, they make it a little harder to see your foot prints in the snow. Nothing like the simple to follow foot steps you would leave if you were walking in the middle of the road.

Realizing your being watched as you pass by your Sothern neighbors house. As you continue walking down the block you notice there is a young family on the east side of the road just a couple doors North of Mr. Grey that looks to be packing up their mini van, It is backed into their garage half way. They are arguing about what they are taking and what must be left behind as their small child, maybe two or two and a half is crying. You think to yourself, should you say something to them, well you decide not to say a word, your not getting involved even though you know that the “authorities” will stop them if they get to a road block.

You approach the front porch of Mr. Kootnz’s house the dogs hear you and you hear them start barking. Curious they didn’t bark the first time but then they were looking for food in the kitchen at that time.

Rattling the door and slowly openning it just a little so the dogs can get a whiff of you. Once they stop barking you know that they have realized it is you, their new master and they let you walk into the house. They greet you as if they have known you since they were puppies. As you give them both some attention and walk through to let them out you see that there is a small mess piled up by the back door. By the way she is acting it must have been Lillie who couldn’t hold it. You tell her it is ok as you let them out into the fenced in back yard. They do their business and you get to clean up the mess. In cleaning up the pile you notice a small pool of a mess by the fridge. As you clean them up and put the soiled paper towels in the trash you hear them barking.

You walk to the back sliding glass door and peer out of the porch doors to see them running back and forth at the back fence. You slowly walk to the back of the porch and look out to see a figure in a grey coat trying to coax them over, the dogs sense it is not someone they want to get close to and stay about 10 feet away from the figure as they bark and pounce back and forth. As you hurry back into the kitchen to grab your shot gun which you set on the counter the barking stops. You rush back to the French doors and as you open one you see the figure has disappeared and the dogs are smelling along the fence line trying to find the sent.

The dogs look up when you whistle then run back towards the back of house, you scan the area and see nothing more then where the person walked in from the East, changes course to walk up to the fence and then along the fence and off at an angle traveling West-South-West. Maybe it was the same person you saw walking before.

Either way the dogs did not like the smell of them and would not get close. Surely the dogs would have torn into them had they tried to jump the fence and make their way to the house.

Maybe they should be left in the back porch with one of the French doors blocked open enough for them to get out and do their business. It isn’t the safest plan, it leaves the house open to a forced entry and they would not be able to defend the house. It would however keep the mess of piles and pools down so that they could be left longer alone. They can always eat snow for water and you could leave them an oversize bowl of kibble to eat.

Well that decision can be made later. For now a recon of the house and such is needed.

You give the dogs their kibble on the porch to sort of introduce them to the idea incase you decide to make it a permanent thing and as you pull the sliding glass door closed they could care less where you are going, they were hungry.

Walking through this house is like walking through a museum. All of the art work on the walls are original hand paintings in very nice frames individually lit by lights above the paintings. All of the statuary is placed well to give a person ample room to view each piece.

As you make your way to the staircase and look up to the second floor balcony that over hangs the foyer you realize this house probably costs more than a person would think from the outside. Walking the steps must have been a chore for an older man like Mr. Koontz but then the tenacious old man was probably in better shape then you.

Standing at the top of the staircase looking down to see the tile on the floor of the foyer you see the initial “K” in an old English script had been inlayed into the small tile of the foyer floor but from the ground it had been over looked.

As you turn around and look both directions the hallway ran the length of the house. You could see out both windows at the ends of the hallways. Which way to go? Well in training you always seemed to be the guy who went left so you started down the left hallway.

You pass by a room to the left and to the right. The room on the left was a sewing room by the looks of it and the room to the right a small guest bathroom. It has an old eagles foot tub and old high mounted tank stool with a simple pedestal basin sink. You noticed there were some modern touches or updates. As you peeked into to see what was what the shower curtain and shower head on a hose weren’t old worldly…

On down the hallway you proceeded and again there were doorways opposite of each other, the room to the left looked to be a spare bedroom with a king size canopy bed and matching hanging mirror bureau and quilt chest at the foot of the bed. This furniture alone was expensive let alone what looked to be high count Egyptian linens.

The room to the right must have also been setup as a guest bedroom nearly identical to the other but with a lighter finished wood on the furnishings and more masculine colored linens.

You proceed down the other end of the upstairs hall thinking to yourself, there is no way there are safe’s up stairs so the other rooms must also be bedrooms. On the left as you walked past the staircase there was a large linen closet next to it was a trap door laundry shut and what looked to be a dumb waiter with a brass crank knob. To the right was a small room which was full of various decorating pieces for the different holidays, a Christmas tree was sitting in the corner, some fall decorations and other items were in the middle of the room probably needing to be put away. You noticed what looked to be an attic access in the ceiling, dismissing the need to climb up and see that is was just storage you left that for later.

The hallway showed only two more doorways, one on each side as yu walked down it. To the right was a small room which looked like an empty never used nursey. Nothin was in the room at all, it was entirely empty. The doors to the small closet were open and it was empty.

Across the hall was what must have been the couples master bedroom. You peek inside to have your hunch confirmed. A beautiful hardwood canopy bed in a very dark cherry wood finish pronounced the purpose of the room. There were chairs by the dormer window for sitting, a makeup table with mirror in the corner, an armoire and chest of drawers on one side with a very long bureau with huge mirror over it along the other.

To the left was a bathroom door. You didn’t snoop any further at this point it is still not sunken in that the house and all could be yours so you slowly back out the two steps you had taken into the room and softly close the door.

Walking back down the stairs your mind started to race, where are the safes, where is the rest of the items that you need to secure or make sure are well hidden so if some low life looter comes along they won’t find the “good stuff” and you won’t have to worry about protecting the house..

As you round the banister you decide to look for the basement entrance. You check under the stairwell all you find is stored decorations, old coats and boots.

Around the corner from the tea room there was a small den, in the den you find a small safe tucked in the corner of the small closet.

You take out a piece of paper that you had written down safe combinations on and where it was written “small den safe” you read the number aloud in your head. As you turn the dial checking them off your mental list you hear the tumblers drop, 48, 35, 57, 36, 0.. With a rather stiff clank the turn on the handle releases the bolts that secured the door. This safe was not a simple safe bought at some home improvement store. This was a very old safe. It had 6 pins that were at least an inch and a half in diameter and there were 7 stair stepped interlocking panels which would make it almost impossible to pull a paper out of the inside. The walls were at least 6 inches thick and the door probably at least 7.

As you take your light from your side you drop to one knee to see inside the safe. There is a couple of metal lock boxes and a stack of papers along with some trays of coins and jewelry. In one of the metal boxes you find what you quickly count as 20 stacks of counted and banded bills. At least $20-30k but there are different denominations, $100’s, $50’s, $20’s, $10’s, $5’s and a few hundred $1 bills.

You put the money back in box and the box in the safe and lock the bolts and spin the dial. After which you check the handle just to make sure it is securely locked. You decide to cover the save with an old throw blanket that is sitting on the back of the desk chair to sort of help hide it. You close the door to the closet and then turn your focus towards the other side of the hall where the basement access must be.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    10:05 Day 5

As you suspected just across the hallway there is a door. You open it to find it is a sort of food pantry. The shelves are stocked full of can goods, dry gods, pasta, rice, beans, sugar, flour, Bisquick, can after can of Crisco and towards the back a large number of home canned goods, tomatoes, green beans, corn, potatoes, squash, peaches, apples, and more. You worry that the pantry will get too cold and that things will freeze and the glass containers break.

At the back of the pantry is a door. This door was a bit shorter than a normal door but it was wider then a normal door. The door was locked. You pull out the paper you had written notes on see where you had scratched a note, basement key on top shelf, right side. You reach around the top shelf of the pantry and sure enough, sitting against the wall is a small skeleton key.

As you turn the key and feel the lock disengage you turn the old porcelain knob and open the door. Odd it opens out but with everything in the pantry it couldn’t open in.

As you peek in the doorway you see that there is a stairway to the left. You proceed down the stairs looking for any sign of the other safes. At the bottom of the stairs you see an old ringer washer and an old clothes rack for drying clothes. Next to the washer there is a 60 gallon gas water heater, then there is an old boiler type furnace and a rather large well filtered air handler.

Next to the air handler is a stock of 16”x20” filters, not the cheap kind either, the $15 ones and there are at least three cases of them.. Just behind the boxes of filters there is what looks to be a steel door. The door could be to a root cellar, go outside or just another room. To the left of the door there is an old canvas tarp hung up on the exposed floor joists. You peek behind it and whala, three large safes, each at least 3 foot across and 5 feet tall.

You think to yourself, how the heck did they get down here. They have to be put in before the first floor joists were put in. Each safe had a different combination, you decide to check the farthest one first. It happens to be the last combination you wrote down.

As the bolts clunk in retract position you grunt to pull open the farthest left safe. As you do a stack of old magazines slide out all over the floor. There has to be hundreds of them.. As you carefully gather them up without stepping on them you realize they are old Playboy’s. Each one in a plastic bag. You scan one as you stack them to the side, it is from 1965.. As you stack them up you start to scan them all, 1967, 1958, all of these are very old and in mint condition, a fortune on their own..

As you finish pulling the nearly two foot tall stack two deep pile of them out of the safe you realize. Could this be a complete collection? You noticed a brand new issue on the kitchen counter still in it’s cover.. You start to wonder if the famous first issue featuring Marilyn Monroe wearing a black and white dress that promised full color pictures of her inside is part of this collection.. Could it be? It would be simple to tell, it was the only issue without a date and the bunny on the cover..

As you pull the last of them from the safe and stack them up you put it out of your mind and scan the contents of the safe.

Standing up are all sort of old long guns, on the shelves to the right are boxes and boxes of ammo. As you stand up and focus the top shelves are full of cigar boxes, you pull one out and open it.. Your jaw drops.. As you reach in the box to pull out it’s prize you hear the dogs, they are going nutz. You hurry to put the box back, put the magazines back, oh you should not have came alone.. Mr Grey should have came to stand watch while you dug through the old mans things..

As you slam the door shut, lock the bolts and spin the dial you hear a thud. Did someone just come in the house? How did they get in? You locked the door behind you. The dogs are really getting spun up now as you let the tarp slide back over the safes.

You reach for your Ruger, pull it from it’s resting place as you make your way up the steps oh so quietly. As you reach the top of the stairs you slowly click the safety off, no matter how slow or soft you try to be the gun still makes that distinctive “CLICK” and can be heard for some distance.

You peek through the key hole, noticing that you left the pantry door open. You see a shadow come across the path of light coming in the key hole as your standing up reaching for the door knob it turns..

You step back, take careful aim and wait for the door to open. Flashlight in hand you figure a quick flash might blind them long enough to put a couple in them..

Just as the door begins to clear the frame and trim you hear a voice..

You throw open the door and flash the face and find that your finger is on the trigger and every micron of slack has been taken out of the trigger when you hear a crack..

Last edited:
    Top Bottom