• Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    11:56 Day 4

Copyright, Icarry2, WDY Media

As you stumble around a bit you realize that there are some familiar aspects of the area your standing in, much like Mr Red and Mr Grey’s bunkers. It would only make sense that they be similar, why engineer them differently, if learned in the dark, being in one or any of them would be the same. Lay of the land is always a great ally.

You shine your light around and see that everything has a bit of dust on it, some things just don’t look to be the same as the other two bunkers you have been in but there are similarities as to where the rooms have doors and the general lay out but this one is a little messy.. A bench is half ripped from the wall, with only one side anchored to the concrete wall. It looks to have been forcibly pulled from the wall on one side which bent the frame around the anchor bolt so it could not be removed. A sign of impatience…

There were cabinet doors left open in the small kitchen area, some large cabinets which were hefty and could hold a lot of weight on their shelves were left wide open and empty..

Nothing like the other bunkers…

You cautiously walk around a bit, right hand perched on your Ruger with your light held close to you not with your arm reaching outward, a tactic you were taught a long time ago.

You quickly perform a left around sweep of the room and the area finding all the other hatchway doors closed and latched you decide it was safe to call for reinforcements.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    12:06 Day 4

You walk back to the hole where now your kids and wife were all perched quietly. Small ones in front on their knees, older bigger ones standing over them all peering down into the darkness..

You walk directly under the whole and are blinded by a light, your youngest always carried around a flash light, she said it was to be prepared like Daddy but it was to cover up the fact that she was still scared of the dark sometimes..

As your sight returns you say thanks to your little one who apologized for the error. She had done it enough and always seemed to forget to point a light where you get light but not blinded..

You look up at them and give them that, “duh, get out of my way” look and they quickly fumble around back to the bathroom.

As you come back up through the hatch and close it but not latch it you hear them talking, “I wonder what’s down there” and “I want to go down there” and then your youngest express “I don’t” and they all turn to you as you duck under the shelf and stand completely upright stretching your back with a grown..

Well” your better half asks.. “what’s down there?”

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    12:08 Day 4

As you start to open your mouth you hear a knock at the front door.

You think “OH CRAP!” to yourself, no one has been watching the perimeter… Your proverbial behind is hanging out completely exposed and you feel a rush of adrenaline as you push past your family you command them to “stay here, shut the door, if I say the safe word, get in the closet and close the closet door and stay quiet.”

You turn to focus your sight on the door, glancing at your heavily covered windows. Realizing that you were glad you purchased that surplus Kevlar and had the old tent maker sew it into the drapes you had put up over all the windows. Strong enough to stop a pistol rounds and small rifle rounds. You knew what they could stop because you did real testing out at the farm.

As you approach the door from the side wall you try to figure out which way to peek outside without letting whomever is standing on your front porch from knowing your looking at them.. OH if the power wasn’t off you would have your security camera to check before exposing yourself and your family to whomever was behind the door.

Note to self you think, put surveillance electronics on battery back up with solar charger….

As you slowly pull the heavy dark inner curtain over your head and prepare to pull the Kevlar curtain from the corner of the small window in the front door with your face so close so that no light could light up your silhouette you notice who is at the door…

Last edited:

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Well who the heck is it?

Rawhead-Rex-horror-movies-6854609-401-342.jpg

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    12:09 Day 4

“it’s ok everyone, you can come on out” as you shut and lock the door behind your guest. As your family files into the front room to see who just scared the living crap out of you they all walk in with a bewildered look on their face.

It was Mr Koontz, out of breath and bloody.. He just about collapses as your wife steps close to look him over. “Sit down here sir” she expresses and with a simple look to the kids, they all snap busy getting the things she needed. The drills the family had performed as “daddy’s game” are paying off..

As you catch half of Mr. Koontz’s body weight your oldest pushes the coffee table out of the way so you can set him on the sofa.

As the old guy almost passes out he hands you a pistol and says “I got them, I got them both”

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    12:32 Day 4

Your wife and children have tended to the small bleeding wounds all over Mr Koontz’s face, hands and neck. They looked to be from glass as they were full of shards of glass and dirt.

The now pink cloth your wife rings out over the stainless bowl full of red water lets go of a few pieces of glass which "tink" into the dirty water.

Your oldest blurts out, “140 over 90, 65 beats, 25 breaths” to which your wife nods “ok” and explains to lay him back. As you place the not so frail looking old man back on the couch you are handed a smelling salt by your middle child. With a snap and a whiff the old timer startled awake. “take it easy” your wife directs the old guy to lay still, her honey sweet voice could melt the coldest of hearts. The old guy settles back quietly and he asks, “am I dead?” to which she replies, ”no, just lay still” and the old timer complies.

Your wife gets up and steps out of your way. You show the old guy his pistol, now unloaded, and ask.. “who did you get?” The old guy tried to get up but stops suddenly realizing he was injured. A nasty goose egg on the right side of his forehead had developed, about like a walnut, he reached to “feel it” and grimaces then lays his head back down.

As you press the old man by asking him again he replies “Last thing I remember was hitting that dang truck at about 40, them boys shot up my Betty but she took out that fancy dancy jeep.” Then he remembers that he hit his head on the gear shifter as he ducked down to avoid being shot. As he reaches for a glass of water sitting near the couch your middle one picks it up and hands it to him bending the straw the youngest put in there.

The old guy sets up and collects his thoughts and continues. “I woke up laying on the cold ground, my face and chest covered with a dang black bag.” A body bag you inform him as he continues. “them punks thought I was dead, they didn’t search me, I had my 45 tucked up under my arm in the rig I always carried her in.” “her?” you ask, to which he asks, “where is Margret?” Your wife says “he must be delirious, he could have a concussion,” as she takes a small light and asks him to look straight ahead he resists and says he is fine, “no, I meant my pistol..” “Where is Margret?” as you pick up the pistol and show it to him you see engraved in the slide the name “Margret” in an old English script. As the old timer reaches for his Margret you tell him not to worry, you will put it up and he can have it when he leaves as you hand it to your oldest who walks it into the kitchen and sits it on the counter with a heavy clunk.. “A nice 1911” your oldest expresses as it is walked away from..

The old timer a bit agitated because you wouldn’t let him have his Margret sits back a bit and continues. “I woke up, they were too busy looking at everything but me so I had the jump on them. The wind covered up the noise made when I uncovered myself so being in their blind spot they didn’t notice me stand up, pull Margret and put two in both their backs as they stood arguing over who was going to file the report.. My guess is that they didn’t even call it in.” “They been checking in every two hours and upon any contact..” You look at your wife as she looks at you with the same thought.. He has been eaves dropping on the military radio.. But how? How was he able to decrypt the transmissions which should have sounded like noise to anyone without the proper crypto gear.

As you look at your watch, 12:46 and with a nod to your middle one an understanding found only in tight nit groups was conveyed. A message had to be coded ASAP and the group notified, they should still be on the 45 call…

As the old timer takes another sip of water and while showing a glimmer of decency and a thank you and a little wink to the youngest he said. “I tried to start Betty but she was too badly shot up.. I took a breath, patted her on the back side and stumbled back this way. I knew you had been out so I figured since I couldn’t make it all the way back home stopping here was the best bet.”

Your wife stops his ramble to explain that some of his wounds needed tending to. “we don’t want you to get an infection from the scrapes and any glass left in the wounds.” The old timer reluctantly sat up and asked that you be quick, he needed to get home.

You step away and your oldest hands you the message to agree to. Old man in car lives, break, shot soldiers dead, break, here with us, break, should survive injuries, break, please advise, break. You agree with a nod and say "send it"..

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    12:55 Day 4

The reply to the message is being decoded, the old timer is resting quietly while your wife super glues up the small cuts once she cleans them. The old guy is pretty tough, not wincing very much as she digs out the bits of glass and dirt in the cuts. Some of the injuries are mere scrapes but some are deep but not deep enough to need stitches.

With the old timer patched up and a 5th set of vitals taken and recorded in the small chart book that was in the med bag your wife informs everyone that he will be fine to which the old timer says “I told you I was fine dear woman, what’s your name my dear? You remind me of my late wife, always quiet, helpful and loving with a warm touch” Your wife replies, Trisha, Trisha Jones..

About that time the old guy asks if he can lay down for a bit and rest. His color turning pale, his skin becomes clammy. Your oldest rushes in and takes his vitals, his breathing is shallow, his heart weak.. The sudden drop of his blood pressure signals a look of panic on the oldest face, your wife jumps in, feeling his pulse, puts on a stethoscope and listens to his chest. As you start to ask the old timer if he is ok Trisha “shushes” you. His eyes pop open, he looks at your wife, reaches in his pocket and pulls out a lucky rabbits foot key chain and hands it to her. He speaks but no one hears his words. Trisha leans over, he is only able to whisper, everyone is silent in the room, as you hear the wind pickup outside as if to signify the old timers passing she utters a short gasp, with her hand on his wrist she feels the last beats of his heart as the old timer passes.

As she stand up, gently setting his hand across his chest she turns to look at you and mouths the words, “he’s gone” and with a bewildered look on her face she opens her hand to reveal the key ring.

A pin could be hear if dropped in the house. A big gust of wind signifies how quiet it is. You clear your throat and start to repeat the Lords Prayer. “Our Father in heaven,
    The message from the group simply stated, “need more intel, update condition next 45.”

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    13:17 Day 4

As you discuss the outside temperature and agree it is cold enough you and Trisha decide put the old timers body out back in the old yard barn that isn’t used much, it only stores fertilizer and other chemicals which stink up their storage area. This odor can help cover the scent of a dead body to ward off anything wanting to make it a meal. With the outside temperature hovering around 30 you figure it will be fine for now, until you can make sense of all this.

As your youngest feels the weight of what has just happened. She runs off crying to her room. Trisha follows and waves “I got this” to the rest of the family. The middle one is only crying, just a steady stream of tears, no whimpers, no outbursts and is cleaning up the bloody bowl of water and gauze pads, steri strip wrappers and the used up bottle of dermabond that has now been wasted on the old timer.. A waste that will never be considered a waste. The old guy came back from sheer death at the cross roads only to die of some other ailment which you with your limited diagnostic equipment and training could detect. As you place him in a tarp and wrap him up you decide to go and check his body in a little bit.. To make sure he is deceased and to empty his pockets of any other items which may explain more.

You and your oldest return from securing the body in the old shed and find the middle one standing at the counter staring at the pistol, at Margret and asks without looking at you, “what about her” turns and looks at you and asks again pointing towards the vintage 1911, “what about Margret?”

Just as you explain to the child that you don’t know yet Trisha walks into the Kitchen from the hall and says here and opens her hand to reveal the rabbits foot key ring. It has three keys on it. One is a Dodge ignition key, another looks to be a house key and the last one is a small single sided 5 tumbler lock key like one on old lockers, safety deposit boxes, old mail boxes and a million other locks..

The question everyone want answered is blurted out by your oldest, “What did he say Mom?” to which she replies with a dumbfounded look on her face, “He said take this, it’s everything he owns, just sign the papers…” She continues to explain “ I started to ask him what papers when he passed..”

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    13:39 Day 4

You express that everyone needs to relax, decompress, and have some food. You tell everyone to clear the kitchen that you need to cook. You cook to relax, you clean to calm down. Trisha knows this, she summons the children out of the kitchen. Before your middle child leaves the room you get rushed and hugged like never before. This is all so much for them.

As the kitchen is clear you pause for a moment to gather your strength. With hands on the counter and your head slouched low you find yourself praying. Not being a very vocally religious person the stress and confusion has somehow led you to your nearly non-existent faith.

“Dear Lord, please let my family make it through this ordeal. If someone must be taken let it be me, swiftly and painlessly so that they shall survive. Please allow my wife to see her children grow old enough to give her grandchildren, something she wishes for like nothing else, to see her family grow and continue long after she and I pass. Please forgive all that we do all be it misguided or misinformed we mean no one any harm but wish to survive this ordeal and get on with our lives. In your name I pray, Amen..”

You take a deep breath, wash your hands and begin gathering the items necessary to create a healing family meal of eggs and bacon. Oh but you realize your out of fresh eggs. So now to plan B as in BLT’s.. Everything is better with bacon…

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    15:10 Day 4

Your so worn out, emotionally and physically drained due to the last few days chaos. After you fix the food your going to wash up and sit in your comfy chair in the living room while the family gathers eats and you will more then likely fall asleep. You will dream vivid, colorless flashbacks of a previous time of stress. Some moments of training, some of action, all haunt you.. Memories of brothers lost, brothers found and places your glad you will never have to go again.

Last edited:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    16:00 Day 4

Your youngest climbs up on your lap curls laying her head on your chest and listens to your heart, something that she has done that always calms her. She slowly drifts off to sleep as you waken slightly. As you put your arm around her and pull her tight she sighs and curls up tighter. You lay there half awake when Trisha catches your eye and signals to see if you want her to lift the little one off of you. You give her that slight “no” head shake and give her a one minute with your free hand.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom