• ...and so much more!
  • concealed glock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Kosciusko County, Warsaw
    :yesway:

I 2nd that. Aside from Jake getting catankerous from time to time :D. I tell everyone that will listen, that the guys I shoot with are some of the most honest and helpful people I've met. I've made more acquaintances the last 3 years than I probably did my previous 36 years before USPSA/Steel Challenge/FNS.

I agree. Never have to worry about honesty. I would feel fine about leaving my vehicle unlocked and the windows down with my wallet on the dash. Still have alot to learn about shooting sports, but have not seen any jealousy or dishonesty. A GREAT sport with GREAT people.

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    SW Indy/Camby/West Newton
    I agree. Never have to worry about honesty. I would feel fine about leaving my vehicle unlocked and the windows down with my wallet on the dash. Still have alot to learn about shooting sports, but have not seen any jealousy or dishonesty. A GREAT sport with GREAT people.

It is quite similar to Heroin. The withdrawals in December, January and February are unbearable at times. Thankfully a few clubs pulled a match together last February to help us through the tough times. :D

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    pretty sure I still qualify as a "new shooter". started from never shot a gun in March to shot my first Match last weekend. I think maybe I'm on the fast track, but I had to start somewhere. my start was a friend gave me Coach's name, he did a class for me and my son. He talked some about competition then, particularly steel. interest started. Then, he mentioned another class...the comp 101 class. This was a great class. learning the rules is big, and then tons of trigger time, actually shooting stages.
    The instructional league shoots...also fantastic as a new shooter. everyone was more than willing to help out the newbie. and at the match, being on a squad with lots of different levels was great. I would not have wanted to be on a squad will all new shooters.
    so, for me, it was classes, being invited to come (not that you need an invite, but I never would have thought of it, if Coach hadn't suggested I try it), being willing to take that first step, and hoping I didn't get DQ'd. that was my goal for my first match. I met my goal.
    The hard parts: knowing the rules, and the right gear.
    what could make it "easier". maybe less intimidating...? Do you all have an information booth at the 1500, or like kinds of venues? what was mentioned about an intro type thing..a few hours I think is a good idea. as for younger shooters...my son's is involved in the 4H shooting sports and there are tons of young shooters. some younger than you might want, but some in the target age group Coach mentioned in the OP.
    Where are the "want to be new shooters", Reaper, Crispy & OEF5 are already coming to matches and understand how much fun it can be

I would like to hear from the hey "I just bought a gun at the last gun show", "I have seen Top Shot and I would like to get into competition shooting but I just don't know what to do....."

I want to hear from the I have been shooting for 10 years, I see these guys out there at the competitions but I never thought about trying it until recently, I am just not sure what to do next......

I want to know from these gun owners what we can do to help get them comfortable enough to come out and try a match, what do we need to do to make this first big step not so big and easier?

I think that some of the biggest hold ups for people is that they just don't want to come out there and "look like a fool" or "don't want to be dead last"
    or "I am a great shot or at least I think I am, what if I find out I am not"]\
    Or the biggest "I don't know the rules, or what I am doing" and "that will make me look foolish"

I would like to know what you would need to do first that would make you more comfortable to then come out and try a match

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    ...what could make it "easier". maybe less intimidating...? Do you all have an information booth at the 1500, or like kinds of venues? what was mentioned about an intro type thing..a few hours I think is a good idea. as for younger shooters...my son's is involved in the 4H shooting sports and there are tons of young shooters. some younger than you might want, but some in the target age group Coach mentioned in the OP.

We had a booth at the 1st 1500 (February/March). We had a good turnout. We showed the various levels of gear required. The problem with the 1500...it interferes with the season :D. Many matches are set up on Saturday and shot on Sunday. That takes away many volunteers to operate the booth. Since most of us are at work on Fridays, we are kind of stuck with only doing the first show of the season.

For the youth shooters, maybe an introduction into shooting a steel challenge match. I know there are several youths that shoot FNS and Steel Challenge matches.

Jimbovia

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Plainfield
    Advertising idea and some other thoughts.....

I tried reading through this thread from the beginning and realized there was just way too much to catch up with, so if I am repeating anything already said,...too bad, so sad. :):

My first thought is that we need to narrow our scope or vision of what we want to accomplish to an attainable goal. We all want some new blood (i.e. Kids/Teens/Young adults) in the organization, but to get that new blood, we are first going to have to get the attention of their parents (the people who will financially support said new blood in yet another hobby). Those with kids or recall being one, know that as kids we tended to jump from hobby to hobby as the next new thing comes up. So…I am narrowing my scope to just bring in shooters that already have some basic gun handling skills and the basic gear.

IMHO, the best way to get the attention of any shooters (new altogether or just new to USPSA) into the sport is to advertise where they shoot. So, at every range in Indiana, we need some signage informing them of what is available to help them get started. I'm picturing a shooter being run through a stage. Not wearing any high tech gear or team shirt, or holding an open class gun. The intent would be to bring the people that may not have all the gear for competition shooting. As well, list a local USPSA web site that has a section dedicated to NEW SHOOTERS.

Jake's Indiana Section site or the Indy Gun Racers site would be good starting points. I think INGO is an awesome forum, and I would have never joined up with USPSA and the Indiana group if it wasn't for INGO. But, it did take me some time to find the USPSA stuff, and I just happened upon it. I really wasn't looking for it. I’ll even offer to sponsor a domain name/hosting/and support the site. I have http://www.mygunaddiction.com right now, but haven’t done much with it. But any catchy name would work.

So. Getting back to the signage thing.

1. Make it big, like on a poster board (24" x 36") with a great picture, and some easy to read lettering in RED, WHITE, BLUE and BLACK. Printing on letter sized media, especially on printer paper won’t last long or really draw people in.
    2. Have a spot for each club to post a local POC on the sign.
    3. List a region POC (cough…Jake or Coach..cough), or at least make sure there is one on the website the sign directs them to.
    4. “Location, Location, Location”. Put it next to the sign in board (example: Next to the sign in sheet at MCF&G) and/or a few out on the line.

I’m sure that I’m putting the cart before the horse here, but once we have some new shooters at a match or class, the idea would be to keep them coming back, correct? What about having an experienced shooter sponsor a new person to help them through the basics? I can personally say that I would be willing to sponsor a newbie and offer up my backup shooting stuff on loan for a day, shoot with them, and guide them through the confusing stuff. Now, I wouldn’t say that I would be able to afford providing them ammo, but I could make everything else available. If it wasn’t for Coach loaning me his M&P for the first ACT class that I attended, and support (pseudo ribbing) by Mongo, Bwframe, and Downrange67, I likely would have never even tried shooting a USPSA match.

I know that at almost every match at the end of the safety speech, the event coordinator usually talks about upcoming events. Why not mention the drive for new members at every event too?

What about a free day at the local range on National Hunting & Fishing Day. I attended one at the range in Freedom, IN last year. They had a bunch of club members with their guns I suppose, letting people try them out. They had cheap food (dogs/burgers/beans/sodas) for sale. At whatever range is chosen, have a USPSA booth and/or a stage set up for people to watch and ask questions. Maybe even try a string.

I mocked up a sign as an example. See below. I am not very creative, so this was just what I could come up with. If we had some input on what should be included, or if there are some better pictures, I am all for participating to help the cause.

At any rate, sure hope I didn’t step on any toes with this. Just trying to add some value to the discussion.

picture.php
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=5058&pictureid=15287

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    The booth at the 1500 got alot of interest, we had videos playing, gear out. The biggest things we heard were

"I didn't you you could do this around here"

Or
    "I have been meaning to try that for sometime"

I think anytime you say "Competition" some people just don't want any part of it. Which is fine, but it is the people that want to, but just aren't sure........
    that is who we need to reach.

Having a booth at the 1500 was a good idea and may be something that we do again at the beginning of the season next year.
    The ACT classes that Coach puts on are great and should be a starting place for every new shooter, plus a couple of the instructional leagues.

But these are things that are already going on. I am looking for that the answer to

"what would it take for someone to come out and try shooting a match for the first time"
    What 3 things could the Indiana USPSA Section offer to get someone that is on the fence about shooting their first match to come and try?

jakemartens

Master
    Rating - 96.1%
    99   4   0
    Aug 30, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I tried reading through this thread from the beginning and realized there was just way too much to catch up with, so if I am repeating anything already said,...too bad, so sad. :):

My first thought is that we need to narrow our scope or vision of what we want to accomplish to an attainable goal. We all want some new blood (i.e. Kids/Teens/Young adults) in the organization, but to get that new blood, we are first going to have to get the attention of their parents (the people who will financially support said new blood in yet another hobby). Those with kids or recall being one, know that as kids we tended to jump from hobby to hobby as the next new thing comes up. So…I am narrowing my scope to just bring in shooters that already have some basic gun handling skills and the basic gear.

IMHO, the best way to get the attention of any shooters (new altogether or just new to USPSA) into the sport is to advertise where they shoot. So, at every range in Indiana, we need some signage informing them of what is available to help them get started. I'm picturing a shooter being run through a stage. Not wearing any high tech gear or team shirt, or holding an open class gun. The intent would be to bring the people that may not have all the gear for competition shooting. As well, list a local USPSA web site that has a section dedicated to NEW SHOOTERS.

Jake's Indiana Section site or the Indy Gun Racers site would be good starting points. I think INGO is an awesome forum, and I would have never joined up with USPSA and the Indiana group if it wasn't for INGO. But, it did take me some time to find the USPSA stuff, and I just happened upon it. I really wasn't looking for it. I’ll even offer to sponsor a domain name/hosting/and support the site. I have http://www.mygunaddiction.com right now, but haven’t done much with it. But any catchy name would work.

1. Make it big, like on a poster board (24" x 36") with a great picture, and some easy to read lettering in RED, WHITE, BLUE and BLACK. Printing on letter sized media, especially on printer paper won’t last long or really draw people in.
    3. List a region POC (cough…Jake or Coach..cough), or at least make sure there is one on the website the sign directs them to.
    4. “Location, Location, Location”. Put it next to the sign in board (example: Next to the sign in sheet at MCF&G) and/or a few out on the line.

I’m sure that I’m putting the cart before the horse here, but once we have some new shooters at a match or class, the idea would be to keep them coming back, correct? What about having an experienced shooter sponsor a new person to help them through the basics? I can personally say that I would be willing to sponsor a newbie and offer up my backup shooting stuff on loan for a day, shoot with them, and guide them through the confusing stuff. Now, I wouldn’t say that I would be able to afford providing them ammo, but I could make everything else available. If it wasn’t for Coach loaning me his M&P for the first ACT class that I attended, and support (pseudo ribbing) by Mongo, Bwframe, and Downrange67, I likely would have never even tried shooting a USPSA match.

I know that at almost every match at the end of the safety speech, the event coordinator usually talks about upcoming events. Why not mention the drive for new members at every event too?

What about a free day at the local range on National Hunting & Fishing Day. I attended one at the range in Freedom, IN last year. They had a bunch of club members with their guns I suppose, letting people try them out. They had cheap food (dogs/burgers/beans/sodas) for sale. At whatever range is chosen, have a USPSA booth and/or a stage set up for people to watch and ask questions. Maybe even try a string.

I mocked up a sign as an example. See below. I am not very creative, so this was just what I could come up with. If we had some input on what should be included, or if there are some better pictures, I am all for participating to help the cause.

At any rate, sure hope I didn’t step on any toes with this. Just trying to add some value to the discussion.

picture.php

That is a good looking sign, except for the gorilla with the timer.

Can you send that to me as a jpeg?
    jakemartens@comcast.net

downrange72

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 3, 2009

Who is that guy. :D

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I know I was a little intimidated to come out also...I picked up a Flyer at Gander MTN. and went to a meeting at Riley. Coach helped me the first time by loaning me mags and pouches. Once I got there I am sure I looked like the new guy because a few came over to offer advise. Like was mentioned above a Guy has to buy into the Deal, because there is a cost involved and some time spent. I too think the ACT Training is a good way to see if you want to do it and guys like me get some good experience and instruction. The hard part is getting the person to come to the Range and sign up for a match, but then I think its the responsibility of the experienced Shooters to take some time and talk to them and explain the rules. I know I made a few mistakes at my first match and it was simply because I had not been told about the Safe areas and Handling you gun when you were not supposed to. Maybe put a new shooter with a guy and put them in a squad together so the Experienced shooter can answer questions and above all instruct on Safety issues. Instruction on shooting can be left up to the Guys in charge ???

Top Bottom