• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Just because you know how to do it safely doesn't mean everyone else will be. You want to act like its an outdoor range, go to an outdoor range and draw from your holster. Shooting the concrete at your feet is way different than shooting the dirt at your feet...

No one said you had to do it at home. The rules say off the property, Although they gave some guy a tupperware container to go out to his car and remove it there when I went.
    I am sorry, but how does this make it any better? You talk about safety, but is a firearm sitting loose in a tupperwear container safer than one in a holster? I doubt it. Also, why should individuals who carry have to stop off property and fiddle with their firearm when it would be safer to just remove it from its holster at the range?

Glock19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    NE Indianapolis
    clear tupperware container with a locked back slide and not loaded, cant pull it out til its set on the counter at the range pointed downrange... OR.... Some new guy with a loaded gun in his holster grabs his gun and pulls the trigger inside the building with one in the chamber? Please answer your own question...

Cj52racers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    clear tupperware container with a locked back slide and not loaded, cant pull it out til its set on the counter at the range pointed downrange... OR.... Some new guy with a loaded gun in his holster grabs his gun and pulls the trigger inside the building with one in the chamber? Please answer your own question...
    Yes, but how do you think it gets into the tupperware container? It has to be removed from the holster somewhere. Either in the parking lot or in the store, and neither one of those seems safer than a holster removal in a shooting bay.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    The tupperware container is kind of like the tie I was given to hang around my neck at a private club in Tennessee where they were required. Next time I made sure to wear my own tie.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I agree with you about this whole issue, but if anyone knows of an indoor range where the proprietors allow folks to practice their draw stroke/presentation, I'd like to hear where it is; I've never seen an indoor range where that was allowed; not here nor anywhere else I've been. Just offhand, I can't say what the differences between doing so at an indoor range - or even an outdoor range like the Atterbury complex - and doing so at an unsupervised range may be in terms of personal and business liability, but I'm certain there are some significant legal issues which business owners must address when considering this question.

I could be wrong, but I thought BGF allowed this? I don't know but I thought someone told me they did. I'm going to post in their subforum to find out for sure.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I could be wrong, but I thought BGF allowed this? I don't know but I thought someone told me they did. I'm going to post in their subforum to find out for sure.
    They do allow this at BGF. Which is why even though I will go Tim's for plinking, I will still make trips to BGF to train. You can rapid fire at BGF too.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

suzgsxr1300

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Noblesville
    For anyone interested, this is the video that's shown during orientation at Tim's. Pretty basic for an experienced shooter, but not everyone at the range has lots of experience, myself included. I, for one, want to know that the person in the stall next to me is thinking safety. They ask that you watch the video on your first visit, at which time you are issued a "certification" card. I think this is a good practice.

Video: Introduction to Range Safety and Etiquette | NSSF

cfrank30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Westfield
    Way overpriced for a bunch of used guns that are not even cleaned and some of the employees are not very knowledgable about what they are selling

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I, for one, appreciate the rules because there are too many dumb arses around. While I'd prefer to have the range all to myself, I appreciate not having to worry about the idiot next to me. Yes, at the range everybody next to me is an idiot. Having had too many guns pointed at me on the range, the safety level at this facility is much appreciated.

Also, nobody has said anything about my double taps. I've heard them tell others to slow down though. Could have something to do with my tight groups and that other guy missing the paper.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I literally live a mile away.

Too bad about the no lead rule. Doubt I will shoot there much because of that.

FMJ with exposed base (like 95% of FMJ that isn't hollow point) puts lead in the air too. Perhaps there is some other reason?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I literally live a mile away.

Too bad about the no lead rule. Doubt I will shoot there much because of that.

FMJ with exposed base (like 95% of FMJ that isn't hollow point) puts lead in the air too. Perhaps there is some other reason?

I believe the Lafayette indoor range years ago said that the lead bullets stick to the traps and have to be scraped or chiseled off.

Top Bottom