• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    0007792405700_500X500.jpg

This is the grill I got. It's about $300 and works great. It comes with 2 half moon pans that hold your charcoal off to the side so you can use indirect heat. It has a propane starter but it seems to take forever so I just use a chimney to start the charcoal and then pour it into the pans. The chimneys rock. You can cook to 500 degrees with about 20-30 briquettes and once you're done, shut the vents off and still have most of that charcoal left over for your next cook. The table on the side is really handy to have as well. It rolls great on the patio. I'll never go gas again.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Traeger. Wood burning. Idiot proof. Better tasting food.

+1
    I have had many brands, styles of grills and smokers. Loved my charcoal Weber, but the Traeger is the best thing ever! I only wish I would have purchased the larger one.......They aren't cheap but would do it all over again for sure. I have been cherry wood lately and the ribs have bee especially good :)

spasmo

ಠ_ಠ
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm not sure I have actually ever cooked anything personally on charcoal. IIRC, doesn't it take an hour to heat up the coals? Say I wanted a Fillet Mignon cooked Medium, how long would it take to cook then from lighting the coals to taking the fillet off the grill?

I thought about charcoal but didn't want the mess and was thinking it took at least twice as long to cook something? Is that correct?

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i'm still a charcoal guy that goes the cheap route. got one similar to this for about $85 on end-of-season clearance at walmart a couple years ago. mine has a second shelf on the left as well.

thumbnail.aspx

the center door allows access to the coals to rake, add, bank, etc. and the crank raises/lowers the coals for temp. control.

with a chimney starter and good lump charcoal, you can be ready to cook in under 20 minutes.

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I just bought a Ducane from Ron's hardware in Indy. It was much cheaper than what Lowes sells it for and comes with a stainless steel grate where the lowes one does not. It is made by Weber and uses the same burners used on Weber grills. I found it to be a little more sturdy than the lower end Weber Spirit grills. The downside is that the Ducane and Spirit lines of grills are now made in China for Weber.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    +1 on Weber. Last forever. Pricey, but will outlast the cheap ones several times over so I think they're actually cheaper in the long run. Also, natural gas is the way to go. Never mess with the propane tanks again!

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I'm not sure I have actually ever cooked anything personally on charcoal. IIRC, doesn't it take an hour to heat up the coals? Say I wanted a Fillet Mignon cooked Medium, how long would it take to cook then from lighting the coals to taking the fillet off the grill?

I thought about charcoal but didn't want the mess and was thinking it took at least twice as long to cook something? Is that correct?
    I can filet cooked medium on charcoal in 40 minutes tops.

The only thing that takes longer with charcoal is the lighting of the grill

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    That, my friends, is the 16-oz ribeye the graced my grill for the first outing. I really suck at grilling steaks, but I was determined to figure it out (now that I have a fancy grill) and it turned out PERFECTLY - 160 degrees all through. It was delicious. :D

cahCh.jpg

160?!?

It's already dead!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

TRAEGER!

Less time than charcoal and better flavor.

Top Bottom