• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you don't buy him this then you just suck!

goldbbqgrill.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    This is the WEBER grill I have
    smokin_red_Weber_Genesis_1000_gas_grill.jpg

I have the slightly older, black lidded version of that one. I like it, but it flares up something terrible on just about anything I cook except chicken.

I think for my next grill I will be searching for something that doesn't flare up so bad...

Cooking bacon it must be watched constantly. If I go inside the house just to grab something quickly and return right away it will be in a full-on blaze requiring the garden hose to tame it down...

:dunno:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I have the slightly older, black lidded version of that one. I like it, but it flares up something terrible on just about anything I cook except chicken.

I think for my next grill I will be searching for something that doesn't flare up so bad...

Cooking bacon it must be watched constantly. If I go inside the house just to grab something quickly and return right away it will be in a full-on blaze requiring the garden hose to tame it down...

:dunno:
    When that happens, you need to buy new flavor bars for your WEBER

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    When that happens, you need to buy new flavor bars for your WEBER

It supposedly had new ones when I bought it used a little over a year ago. They appear to be "in-tact" is there something I'm missing?

It appears that the grease drips onto the flavorizer bars, runs down and drips off the edge of the bars into the drip pan. Somewhere along that process the grease catches fire and the flame travels up onto the flavorizer bars then to the main grate, burning off every last bit of grease.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    It supposedly had new ones when I bought it used a little over a year ago. They appear to be "in-tact" is there something I'm missing?

It appears that the grease drips onto the flavorizer bars, runs down and drips off the edge of the bars into the drip pan. Somewhere along that process the grease catches fire and the flame travels up onto the flavorizer bars then to the main grate, burning off every last bit of grease.
    My flavor bars are rusting, & once in a while I'll get a big flare up, but after 12 years, & I got my WEBER used, all I did was buy a new style hose & propane tank for my grill, My grill has a partial roof over head, still get rain & sunshine so I need to sand it down & repaint it

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Behold the power of INGO and swoon at the stainless steel hotness.

x3O1A.jpg

Now I gotta go get me some steaks... :D

That is a beautiful piece of equipment.

I've got a Brinkmann, which I am mostly happy with. My only complaint is that it's much MUCH hotter at the back of the cooking surface than the front. Are Webers better for this?

Anything towards the front half of the grill barely gets cooked!

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That is a beautiful piece of equipment.

I've got a Brinkmann, which I am mostly happy with. My only complaint is that it's much MUCH hotter at the back of the cooking surface than the front. Are Webers better for this?

Anything towards the front half of the grill barely gets cooked!

My last one was a Brinkman and it was a screaming piece of garbage. The inside completely rusted away (pretty much everything except the grates) after two years, and that was with a grill cover on it. The high-temp paint all flaked off, the gas elements dissolved, etc. Mine also had the problem of massively-uneven heating that yours has. So far, the new Weber heats uniformly. According to the rest of this thread, it should hold up.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    If it doesn't say Weber on it, you just wasted your money. Char-Anything is junk from top to bottom. The burners will disintegrate in less than two years, in almost every model. They suck.

Weber has a 10 yr warranty on their burners. You will pay more for a Weber but you'll get years and years of use from it.

Ace Hardware has Weber, and they even built and delivered mine for FREE.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    My last one was a Brinkman and it was a screaming piece of garbage. The inside completely rusted away (pretty much everything except the grates) after two years, and that was with a grill cover on it. The high-temp paint all flaked off, the gas elements dissolved, etc. Mine also had the problem of massively-uneven heating that yours has. So far, the new Weber heats uniformly. According to the rest of this thread, it should hold up.

Thank you for the info. I may look into Weber next time I'm in the market for a grill.

For all of the bad press I've read about Brinkmann, mine is on its 3rd year and still going strong. I grill pretty often, it's become a fun and tasty hobby. I don't see much rust on the inside yet, and I didn't even buy a cover until this season.

My biggest complaint is the uneven heating. I have to put the meat on the back and cook things like veggies towards the front and keep a close eye on everything. But with 4 burners, one row of meat along the back is usually plenty of space for us. If I was cooking for 20-30 people or something then I think it would be a much bigger issue.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I was really on the fence. I didn't want to spend the extra money on a Weber, and probably would have cheaped out again, since I can buy three $300 grills (lasting a total of ten years) for the price of the Weber I bought (which is warranted for...ten years), but then I inherited a small amount of money from a deceased relative and it was off to the races.

So far, I'm really impressed with the design decisions they made. It's already worth the extra money.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I was really on the fence. I didn't want to spend the extra money on a Weber, and probably would have cheaped out again, since I can buy three $300 grills (lasting a total of ten years) for the price of the Weber I bought (which is warranted for...ten years), but then I inherited a small amount of money from a deceased relative and it was off to the races.

So far, I'm really impressed with the design decisions they made. It's already worth the extra money.

Yeah, if you've got the cash on hand to get a better one right up front, that's certainly what I would do too. 10 years hassle free sounds much better than swapping out every 3 or 4 years, especially since you get what sounds like better performance out of it as well.

Good purchase, enjoy it. Have you experimented at all with grilling on cedar planks yet? I made a special dinner for me and the wife a few weeks ago. Smoked some marinated salmon on a cedar plank. It was absolutely delicious.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Good purchase, enjoy it. Have you experimented at all with grilling on cedar planks yet? I made a special dinner for me and the wife a few weeks ago. Smoked some marinated salmon on a cedar plank. It was absolutely delicious.

I've had it out of the box and built for about 26 hours. I haven't had time to do anything with it other than grill a couple of steaks last night, as described here:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...at_did_scutter01_make_for_dinner_tonight.html
    I don't know if I can use planks or chip boxes or any other types of accessories. Presumably I can, but I haven't gotten that far yet.

I have to say, though, that Weber's "flavor bars" are the bee's knees. Grease drips onto them, heats past the smoke point, and then the smoke permeates your food. I could definitely taste the difference between a steak cooked on my old grill and one on my new one.

Top Bottom