• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Since he quashed my idea of a new garage storage system for father's day, I thought I'd get him a new grill. We currently have a one-step-up from the bottom-of-the-line Chrar-Broil gas grill. It works, but after a couple of seasons, the heat and Indiana weather annihilates the interior metal components. The whole thing probably weighs 10-20 pounds less than it did brand new thanks to oxidation.

I want to get him a good "weather-proof" grill that can withstand many years of use. Are stainless models stainless throughout or just the exterior components?

We have a family of four (right now two small children under 5, but remember that will be 2 teenage boys and a grown man in the future). We don't need a lot of bells and whistles (like the equivalent of a full kitchen), but I personally wouldn't mind a side burner. Since I know some will ask, let's keep the price under $1000. I don't really want to spend that much, but for the right model, I'd consider it.

What would you recommend?

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    Weber all the way. It will be the last grill you ever have to buy. They are more expensive than other brands but well worth the money. I went through 3 other grills before buying a Weber. A friend of mine has had a Weber for years and actually managed to break the handle off of the lid. He called Weber to buy a new handle and they sent him a whole new lid with handle for FREE.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    We had a stainless steel monument to grilling on our patio. We decided to buy a Weber "Q" to take camping. Before our first camp out, we put Q on the patio and seasoned it by grilling on it for a few days. Results were fantastic.

Let's put it this way, there's a "Q" 200 on the patio now. And a "Q" 100 in the camper. The Monument went to the curb with a for sale sign and a neighbor bought it.

Might look at the Q 300 model for your strapping family.

BTW: When camping we like to grill bacon on the Q :D

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Weber all the way. It will be the last grill you ever have to buy. They are more expensive than other brands but well worth the money. I went through 3 other grills before buying a Weber. A friend of mine has had a Weber for years and actually managed to break the handle off of the lid. He called Weber to buy a new handle and they sent him a whole new lid with handle for FREE.

W E B E R works great for my family:rockwoot:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    "You get what you pay for" is very true in grills. If you try to go inexpensive, you'll just be replacing it again very soon.

We have one of the "Infra-Red" gas grills from Char-Broil. It's on it's 3rd year and has been fantastic. During the summer months, I bet we use it 5 days a week.

It is also very, very easy to clean.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Weber is the sure bet.

I have a Weber Spirit 200. Basic, but it's still awesome. I'd recommend the 3 burner (Spirit 300) if you cook for more than 3 people.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Here's a couple good grills. They might be a little on the pricey side though.

Grill.jpg

grill2.jpg

crawfish

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2011
    south indy
    Srry I like coal no gas but all above is good if not great recommendations. I know it takes more time but the heat is better and the taste is aswell. Might just be me and being taught by my ol man if u can't smoke it or cook on coals...... cook inside is what he always said.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    We have a Char-Broil as well. Thing is built solid (weighs a ton I swear, haha). 3-burner with a side burner as well. Dont remember what I paid for it, but Its a damn good grill, beats the 129 dollar grill I first bought as a home owner. Only thing I dont like is no wheels, so I have to use a hand-cart to move it inside for the garage for the winter, and to move it to the garage door to grill all winter long.

-MColford

Moosecrackers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Central IN
    Seems like the popular opinion, but I'd vote Weber too. I've had (still have) four of them: an old charcoal kettle, a Weber Q, an older Genesis and a new Genesis. They all work great and I've never had a problem with them (other than running out of gas in the middle of cooking - good think I keep extra propane tanks on hand). I only leave one of mine outside and it's under a grill cover.

My personal vote would also be for cast iron grates but others prefer stainless steel.

MC

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Big Green Egg

It can grille steaks at higher temperatures or can smoke meats low and slow for hours and hours. Everything I've cooked on it is much moister than the gas or traditional charcoal grilles I've used in the past.

They can be run all winter because they are made of a thick ceramic material that insulates the cooking area from the cold. They don't flare up as much as other styles because you can control the air flow very precisely.

It doesn't rust.

Yum! :yesway:

24x2x6g.jpg

Even bacon!
    a2py1e.jpg

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I'm not trying to thread jack or put options that you aren't willing/able to afford but has anyone seen the Komodo Kamado? Looks like a sculpture sitting on your patio and seems to be a great grill and smoker. Of course, if I paid $3,000+ for a grill, I may just expect it to pick the meat up at the butcher shop, seaon it, cook it, serve it, and do my dishes afterwards. Of course, I still want one. Just like I want a Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, etc.
    Ultimate Kamado Ceramic Grill & Smoker

Top Bottom