• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    I know more than 1 LEO who has stated many times that they have had many people talk themselves into tickets but rarely do they have one talk themselves out of a ticket. If you use that theory but change the scenario to a self defense shooting I see all the more reason to keep your mouth shut at least until your lawyer arrives and he is able to advise you.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I know more than 1 LEO who has stated many times that they have had many people talk themselves into tickets but rarely do they have one talk themselves out of a ticket. If you use that theory but change the scenario to a self defense shooting I see all the more reason to keep your mouth shut at least until your lawyer arrives and he is able to advise you.

Interesting enough, I have had people talk me out of giving them a ticket. Attitude goes a long way. But then again, I don't write many tickets (not a single one this month, yet)

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    It may just be me, but when sometime says "In nearly every incident..." that tells me he is thinking it is a vast majority and not just 'significant.'

Yes....with the words nearly and recalled. I've also qualified my remarks that we really don't have any way of really proving or disproving the supposition either.

Remember too that the information is only available through the MSM.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Interesting enough, I have had people talk me out of giving them a ticket. Attitude goes a long way. But then again, I don't write many tickets (not a single one this month, yet)

You're fired. Your government relies upon this revenue, and knows how to spend it better than the mere subjects. :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI

One of them says that he already has his mind made up when he makes the decision to pull the car over whether he is giving them a warning or a ticket. He also said that a lot of the ones that he is planning on giving a warning often turn into tickets.

I deal with LEO's regularly for my job and have for the last 12 years and you are right attitude goes a long way on both sides of the equation.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So how many here already have a lawyer on retainer or at least a name/number you can call? How many here have had to defend their lives, or at least involved in a serious self defense situation? Once that adrenaline dump happens, it is quite natural to be a "blabber mouth". Especially if you are not accustomed to it. I have seen it many many times. Also, the scene will seem very chaotic with all the EMS, LEO's running around setting up tape, talking to witnesses, etc. That is NOT the time to be thumbing through the yellow pages looking for a lawyer, it will be very difficult to think straight. If it is after normal business hours, you are not likely to reach anyone anyway. You will need a way to reach your lawyer after hours. The longer you wait to give your statement the more likely you are to forget important details. The sooner you get your lawyer there and give your statement the better. These are things that you should work out BEFORE you need them. It is the ONLY reason I am in the FOP. I pay my legal dues so if I am involved in a police action shooting my lawyer will show up to the scene 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. We are not to talk to ANYONE until the lawyers show up, not your friends, supervisors, etc. Good advise for me good advice for you. Get it done now.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So how many here already have a lawyer on retainer or at least a name/number you can call? How many here have had to defend their lives, or at least involved in a serious self defense situation? Once that adrenaline dump happens, it is quite natural to be a "blabber mouth". Especially if you are not accustomed to it. I have seen it many many times. Also, the scene will seem very chaotic with all the EMS, LEO's running around setting up tape, talking to witnesses, etc. That is NOT the time to be thumbing through the yellow pages looking for a lawyer, it will be very difficult to think straight. If it is after normal business hours, you are not likely to reach anyone anyway. You will need a way to reach your lawyer after hours. The longer you wait to give your statement the more likely you are to forget important details. The sooner you get your lawyer there and give your statement the better. These are things that you should work out BEFORE you need them. It is the ONLY reason I am in the FOP. I pay my legal dues so if I am involved in a police action shooting my lawyer will show up to the scene 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. We are not to talk to ANYONE until the lawyers show up, not your friends, supervisors, etc. Good advise for me good advice for you. Get it done now.

Once again, good advice from one of out LEOs :yesway:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

Exactly 100% THIS!!!

My lawyer is on speed dial :laugh:

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    I thought there was a light you shined in the sky to get him.:D

images

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Wow. Talk about ignorance. Theres a LOT of it in this thread.
    So, the cops can coerce a statement huh? And what happens when that comes out? Statement gone. Trial over. Charges dropped. Unless there is more evidence, and if they are trying that, which Ive not seen actually happen in a LONG time, they probably dont have any other evidence anyway.
    Cops can threaten? See above.
    Cops can step all over and violate your rights? See above.

You all need to get out more, and actually pay attention to present day happenings, and not old TV shows from the 60s. Maybe look up a few real laws while you are at it.

LEOs can NOT mislead or mis-represent anything. If they do, and it ALWAYS comes out, case over. Any mishandled evidence, gone.

Do they all know every law inside and out? No, no-one does. They make mistakes, because you do to, all humans do.
    If they do, and you dont do anything to correct it, stop whining about it happening.

If you are in a shooting, and want to say nothing, fine, have at it, but to believe it will help anything is ludicrous. You need to let them know the basics. Dont go overdoing it, but there are obvious things that should be addressed at that time, not later.

And to think every cop running around has his own personal attorney, and a dept attorney, etc, is also ridiculous.
    Again, you all that think that kind of stuff really need to get out more and interact with people face to face once in a while....

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

My attorney has advised me to never answer questions without him present. NO MATTER WHAT. Not talking won't help me walk out the door and go home, but it CERTAINLY means I won't be saying something stupid because of being jacked up on adrenaline that in retrospect I didn't mean, or making a few inconsistent statements based on faulty memory over several hours.

I'll take his advice far, far sooner than some nobody on the internet.

Oh, by the way. I've actually read EVERY WORD of the Indiana Code. Have you?

This. I do actually. Home, office and cell #.

Last edited:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Also, I would say that HOW you "don't talk to the police" can make your life easier or harder. Say you are in a shooting, LEO arrives, you can certainly help yourself with something like this, "I have no problem giving a statement of events but I need to have my lawyer present at the time." Or "I am glad you guys are here, however, I will need my lawyer present for my statement, I'm sure you of all people can understand why." You will be surprised how many officers will side with you. It's all about presentation.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    So how many here already have a lawyer on retainer
    If you don't have ongoing issues you do not need to have an attorney on retainer. There is no advantage and he will just charge you a maintenance fee to review your file every year. You and your spouse should have the name and number of one you will use just in case, though. Thumbing through the phone book in time of need is not a good plan. I found that out during my divorce. :)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Also, I would say that HOW you "don't talk to the police" can make your life easier or harder. Say you are in a shooting, LEO arrives, you can certainly help yourself with something like this, "I have no problem giving a statement of events but I need to have my lawyer present at the time." Or "I am glad you guys are here, however, I will need my lawyer present for my statement, I'm sure you of all people can understand why." You will be surprised how many officers will side with you. It's all about presentation.

Absolutely. I have seen some people say things softly with a smile that would earn most anyone else a fist in the jaw under similar circumstances. Same principle definitely applies here.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I was talking to an instructor at the gun club today and he was telling me about this 'strategy'. He said that he relays some of this during his handgun safety course (which is required by the state to get your permit here in Tennessee). The video is long at 45 minutes but I found most of it very informational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86XmQra5WMU&feature=related

I know the video does not 100% pertain to guns. But this seems a good rule of practice if any of us , God forbid, was involved in a situation where we had to use one.
    Just thought I would share this with people on INGO, it's funny how simple words can get twisted and come back to haunt you.

Been repeated on many occasion, however this video is always worth reposting!

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN

I could keep it simple with "I'm willing to cooperate, but I need to my/a lawyer first."

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    You're fired. Your government relies upon this revenue, and knows how to spend it better than the mere subjects. :rolleyes:

I wrote three yesterday. I guess that I get to keep my job a little longer. It's interesting where the money goes to from the fines and court costs. Our PD gets about $2 for training.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    I wrote three yesterday. I guess that I get to keep my job a little longer. It's interesting where the money goes to from the fines and court costs. Our PD gets about $2 for training.

"Training," huh? That the new slang for hookers and blow? Wait, you don't work for the Secret Service?

:D

Last edited:
    Top Bottom