• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Ah - but our Star Chamber Court has ruled that you have to declare your invocation of silence now. Merely being silent, apparently, does not qualify as invoking your innate right to silence. The mind boggles. I will answer politely basic questions. I will not answer anything beyond the cursory, easily-garnered information on my license with any sort of answer.

I don't really see the relevance to what you quoted but I don't disagree with this.

I have no issue at all with identifying yourself and stating that you need your attorney present before remaining silent. It isn't politeness, it is merely cooperation, which does look good in court.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Ah - but our Star Chamber Court has ruled that you have to declare your invocation of silence now. Merely being silent, apparently, does not qualify as invoking your innate right to silence. The mind boggles. I will answer politely basic questions. I will not answer anything beyond the cursory, easily-garnered information on my license with any sort of answer.

Agreed. The courts have already ruled upon the right to remain silent doesn't apply to the usual pedigree-type questions. Though be careful, the police still have the power to deceive, or otherwise engage in trickery.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Usually they have their OWN lawyer, the department lawyer AND a union rep. Plus the several day to 2 week 'cool down' period before they are expected to testify on record.

They take this advice, why shouldn't you?

And... a police action shooting is probably approached from a completely different angle than a random citizen... just sayin'.

I hate to say it but this is part of the Bill of rights that you hardly ever hear about... to wit...

"... to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor..."

You can bet that the compulsory process is spelled out in great detail in police union contracts.

Not so much for the rest of us.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Are there certain criterias you have to meet with USCCA or ACLDN after paying the member fee before defending you? I heard NRA picks and chooses who to defend.

You and I both. You may be interested in the following links:

Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network
    US Concealed Carry Association / SHIELD

USCCA has the list of attorneys all over the USA that have offered their services. I like the USCCA and as a member I enjoy their magazine and forum, but be advised that they do seem to send an inordinate amount of emails to you almost every week. If you don't want the emails you can ask to have them cut back to special offers only or eliminated altogether.

ACLDN is not quite as well funded but seems to be better with some top people and corporate sponsors affiliated with them. They have a series of DVDs they send their members that alone are worth the price of membership.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Are there certain criterias you have to meet with USCCA or ACLDN after paying the member fee before defending you? I heard NRA picks and chooses who to defend.

I do not know for certain with the ACLDN--I assume they would not want to legally support a serial killer who happened to have a LTCH--but I do know that with SHIELD coverage from the USCCA the legal costs are covered after you are acquitted, up to the limit of your coverage. At that point, USCCA will also provide legal representation should you be sued civilly, up to the limit of your coverage. At any point in the legal process, as a USCCA/SHIELD member you may request assistance from the USCCA Legal Defense Foundation which makes upfront grants and provides legal aid on the basis of need and "legal justifiability." Again, there's just no future for an organization that offers legal aid benefits to violent felons--someone has to make a judgement call.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I do not know for certain with the ACLDN--I assume they would not want to legally support a serial killer who happened to have a LTCH--but I do know that with SHIELD coverage from the USCCA the legal costs are covered after you are acquitted, up to the limit of your coverage. At that point, USCCA will also provide legal representation should you be sued civilly, up to the limit of your coverage. At any point in the legal process, as a USCCA/SHIELD member you may request assistance from the USCCA Legal Defense Foundation which makes upfront grants and provides legal aid on the basis of need and "legal justifiability." Again, there's just no future for an organization that offers legal aid benefits to violent felons--someone has to make a judgement call.

I know perps won't be covered, I just wanted to know if me, the law abiding citizen I am, get into a pickle via self defense, I'll be helped and not thrown by the waste side

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    I know perps won't be covered, I just wanted to know if me, the law abiding citizen I am, get into a pickle via self defense, I'll be helped and not thrown by the waste side

That's exactly who this coverage is designed for.

Also I found some more information about the ACLDN:

Providing Legal Support When It Is Most Needed
    Members who have been involved in a self-defense incident receive the following:
    • A fee deposit paid to the member's attorney by the Network if the member has been involved in a self-defense incident. The fee deposit gets the legal defense immediately underway, with representation during questioning, and arranging for an independent investigation of the incident. If the incident results in felony charges the fee deposit is $10,000; if the member faces misdemeanor charges, a $5,000 fee deposit is sent to his or her attorney. If requested by the member or their representative, a Network official will respond to the location to assist the member in obtaining those services.
    • Network members are also eligible for additional grants of financial assistance from the Network's legal defense fund if they face unmeritorious prosecution or civil action after a self-defense incident occuring during their period of membership.
    • The Network will pay in full for one of our experts to review the case file of a member who is being unmeritoriously prosecuted or who is facing civil law suit, and make recommendations to that member's attorney.
    • Use of force experts recommend defense strategies to the member’s attorney at no charge.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    That's exactly who this coverage is designed for.

Also I found some more information about the ACLDN:

Providing Legal Support When It Is Most Needed
    Members who have been involved in a self-defense incident receive the following:
    • A fee deposit paid to the member's attorney by the Network if the member has been involved in a self-defense incident. The fee deposit gets the legal defense immediately underway, with representation during questioning, and arranging for an independent investigation of the incident. If the incident results in felony charges the fee deposit is $10,000; if the member faces misdemeanor charges, a $5,000 fee deposit is sent to his or her attorney. If requested by the member or their representative, a Network official will respond to the location to assist the member in obtaining those services.
    • Network members are also eligible for additional grants of financial assistance from the Network's legal defense fund if they face unmeritorious prosecution or civil action after a self-defense incident occuring during their period of membership.
    • The Network will pay in full for one of our experts to review the case file of a member who is being unmeritoriously prosecuted or who is facing civil law suit, and make recommendations to that member's attorney.
    • Use of force experts recommend defense strategies to the member’s attorney at no charge.

Still curious how much they would cover during a long blown out trial...the USCCA cover $50k upto $300k depending how much you want to spend every year.

jamstutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 9, 2008
    Berne
    Still curious how much they would cover during a long blown out trial...the USCCA cover $50k upto $300k depending how much you want to spend every year.

Regardless of the organization, I'm sure their resources are not unlimited, but they are far greater than anything I could come up with on my own.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    What you like them to do, give you a lollipop and some stickers when they talk to you? :rolleyes:

Depends on the flavor of the lollipop and the type of stickers. Are they gun/car/motorcycle/humorous stickers? Cause I collect stickers and I'd add some to my collection. Do they have those rum lollipops with scorpions in them?

If they're giving out Lisa Frank stickers and sugar-free Safe-T-Pops, then I'll pass.

Top Bottom