• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Well I have been gone for a while and am not going to read all 25 or more pages of the replys. But sure is a good chance the junk referred to could be solid waste. I would certainly call the locals, but there is an IDEM office in Brownstown. You might call them. Of course this esculates bad feelings between neighbors, But from what I have read. You may already be there. Funny thing about laws. they can work for everyone. And generally they define right and wrong. Opinions however have been known to be changed by what an actual law states.
    What a wonderful system. Might check you local zoning for recreational uses.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Don't know if anyone else posted this yet but I found this on the IDNR website "The Department of Natural Resources Shooting Range grant program is an assistance program for the development of rifle, handgun, shotgun, and archery facilities. The main objective of this program is to provide the citizens of Indiana with additional and safer places to fire their guns, and train hunter education students"

Maybe the OP should contact the DNR officer, since the sheriff brought it up, and apply for a grant to expand his range. Maybe you could use the government grant to buy out the neighbor, or kick him out via eminent domain, just to make sure you have plenty of room.

I know what I am doing over Christmas break. Filing out grant paperwork! :rockwoot:
    If you get a govt. grant then you have to open your land up for public use. Kinda defeats the purpose of a private range, not to mention the liabilities that would come with it.

heisman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    You are legal to shoot as long as your not with in 500ft of a dwelling, occupied space. The DNR is the ruling authority over discharging a firearm. It sounds like a scare tactic. Communicate to your neighbor that 1. you are not in city limits. 2. You are outside the 500ft rule 3. You have a backstop for safety 4. You are an expert shooter and safety minded

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    You are legal to shoot as long as your not with in 500ft of a dwelling, occupied space. The DNR is the ruling authority over discharging a firearm. It sounds like a scare tactic. Communicate to your neighbor that 1. you are not in city limits. 2. You are outside the 500ft rule 3. You have a backstop for safety 4. You are an expert shooter and safety minded

Uhm.. what? Got any proof of that statement? IC perhaps? :dunno:

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    You are not allowed to shoot within 500 ft. of a plotted/mini sub-division! I own 15 acres, 10 of which are solid woods with 2 creeks. I to had a problem with a neighbor who happened to be a police officer for the city north of us (I live in the county). After a couple visits from the local sheriff I went to the county surveyors office and got a computer print out with the lines on the map showing the area of my property within this boundry. I lost about 1 acre when all was said and done! then myself and both boys commenced to target practice when I knew she was home and sure enough here comes the sheriffs dept. I gave them a copy of all my papers and gave them a copy for my neighbor which they delivered. She has not spoke to me since!

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    You are not allowed to shoot within 500 ft. of a plotted/mini sub-division! I own 15 acres, 10 of which are solid woods with 2 creeks. I to had a problem with a neighbor who happened to be a police officer for the city north of us (I live in the county). After a couple visits from the local sheriff I went to the county surveyors office and got a computer print out with the lines on the map showing the area of my property within this boundry. I lost about 1 acre when all was said and done! then myself and both boys commenced to target practice when I knew she was home and sure enough here comes the sheriffs dept. I gave them a copy of all my papers and gave them a copy for my neighbor which they delivered. She has not spoke to me since!

Is this a county law? State law says nothing about buildings except for state owned ones..

Rockyk69

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Noblesville
    That's a shame. Don't understand why people can't simply be respectful. I grew up, for several years, on 80 areas in Arkansas; closest neighbor was 5 miles away. It was nice to shoot the shotgun and not worry about hurting anyone or having the police called.

exbrit

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Northeast Indiana
    Ask to see the specific ordinance!

If you aren't in a town or city. I would go to the county offices and ask them for the specific ordinance number that prohibits you from shooting on your own property. The town I live in has a specific ordinance prohibiting the firing of any firearm or Air Rifle/ Pistol etc., It is very clear in its intent. It is unusual to see an ordinance like this out in the county.
    Be very polite and go in to the sherrifs department or the county commissioners office and request a copy. Good chance there isn't one. Unless you are on State park property or adjacent to state lands the DNR has no jurisdiction.
    GO check it out and then if you find there is no ordinance, advise the sheriff that you will be shooting on your own property. Again if there there are no ordinances,, you are probably fine to shoot. Should the sherrifis department come knocking again, call the state police. I am making an assumption also that you aren't shooting late at night when county noise ordinances might apply?

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    get a surveyor suvey your property to make sure the fence is on you. if it istear that sucker out and continue shooting. as an added bonus dop off their wadded up fencing in their yard after you call animal control when the horses get out.

marcp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    This is no fun as I also have had the sheriff called out on me while sighting in a shotgun for hunting. I was inside the city limit's of Indianapolis and when sheriff arrived I stopped but the cool officer just wanted to run my info and check on the gun and check my back stop(witch was a creek bank). After he explained that I was on private property and as long as I had the land owner's permission I was ok with him. This took place back in 1995 before people started freaking out like today. He was cool and just wanted to know if he could fire a few round's before he left..It was one of the best interacting's with a sheriff deputy I have ever had..

The world is full of zombie's,some not so dead yet....

Top Bottom