Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    And here I thought I would at least get a summary of events by coming to the last page.

Maybe the neighbors buried him in his own backyard.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Check you zoning ordinances. Many counties have restrictions on the number of non-running vehicles that can be kept on a property. If found in violation, they could face hefty fines if they don't have them removed.

BTW, I really need to check the posting dates before jumping in on a conversation...

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Wow, this one is old...... After reading everything I see that the OP got the paperwork to file a complaint against the officer. The sheriff dept. said that shooting seemed legal but they could not give legal advise. OP decided to keep the peace and look for another place to shoot....... (WHEW! A marathon read for an old post!)

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Wow, this one is old...... After reading everything I see that the OP got the paperwork to file a complaint against the officer. The sheriff dept. said that shooting seemed legal but they could not give legal advise. OP decided to keep the peace and look for another place to shoot....... (WHEW! A marathon read for an old post!)

What, no righteous retribution against the idiot neighbors?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Unless I missed something, no. I was mentally exhausted and half blind by the time I got to the end though. He was planning on moving in a year, By now he has his new location and is probably shooting in peace.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    we live about 8 miles out of the city limits, if the officer wouldve actually went out back with me I wouldve showed him the backstop, I only shot about 20 rounds and couldve dug up the steel plate and showed him 20 dents, but apparently he is friends with the neighbor, according to our other neighbor these people call the cops for everything, yet they have about 15 cars sitting in their field, junk all over the place and the electric fence, I could be wrong but I always thought that if you put up and electric fence you had to have it 6 ft off the property line or have something in between it.

It would not hurt to have the local CO out to look over the property. I believe that you live in, or near, Bedford. Are you effected by the democrats who run Bloomington? How politically connected is your neighbor?

Look do not fight this alone. You will be made out to be a fool. Have any attorney buddies? How fast can you get connected into the local political community (precinct committeeman, etc)? The more "muscle" you bring to the fight, the more likely you will come out on top. The worst mistake is to go "redneck" and try to stand for your rights. Better to let an attorney make that claim (especially if you can sue everyone involved for lots of money).

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    +1. But start with trying to understand HIS position before trying to get him to understand yours. Try to understand what it is about your shooting that bothers him, then try to address those concerns, if they're reasonable. If they're not, or if he's already decided that you're going to have an adversarial relationship, so be it, but a little honey might just smooth the whole thing out and make the rest of your time there a little more pleasant.

Edited to remove the part about the fence and YOUR concerns -- I wouldn't even go there until you establish that there's just no way to work out a happy place.

I need to know who the neighbor is, what his education level is, what he does for a job, his political connections and so forth. That makes all the difference in how you approach the situation.

If you are dealing with some IU professor then you have one type of problem. It is another if the guy is just a working stiff with an attitude. And how connected is he into the local political machine (the one that runs things in that county)? If you are dealing with someone who is a county councilman then you have a lot bigger problem than just some blowhard. Even worst if he is a county commissioner.

Do your research. Know who are dealing with. It is the same if you were on patrol going through a village in Afghanistan.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If you aren't in a town or city. I would go to the county offices and ask them for the specific ordinance number that prohibits you from shooting on your own property. The town I live in has a specific ordinance prohibiting the firing of any firearm or Air Rifle/ Pistol etc., It is very clear in its intent. It is unusual to see an ordinance like this out in the county.
    Be very polite and go in to the sherrifs department or the county commissioners office and request a copy. Good chance there isn't one. Unless you are on State park property or adjacent to state lands the DNR has no jurisdiction.
    GO check it out and then if you find there is no ordinance, advise the sheriff that you will be shooting on your own property. Again if there there are no ordinances,, you are probably fine to shoot. Should the sherrifis department come knocking again, call the state police. I am making an assumption also that you aren't shooting late at night when county noise ordinances might apply?

No DNR (COs otherwise known as Moose Mounties) has authority to come on your property due to hunting laws. DNR has far more authority than local police.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I need to know who the neighbor is, what his education level is, what he does for a job, his political connections and so forth. That makes all the difference in how you approach the situation.

If you are dealing with some IU professor then you have one type of problem. It is another if the guy is just a working stiff with an attitude. And how connected is he into the local political machine (the one that runs things in that county)? If you are dealing with someone who is a county councilman then you have a lot bigger problem than just some blowhard. Even worst if he is a county commissioner.

Do your research. Know who are dealing with. It is the same if you were on patrol going through a village in Afghanistan.

You're just trying to help but this is a very old thread everybody's just having fun with, doubt the OP is even paying attention to it anymore.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    You are not allowed to shoot within 500 ft. of a plotted/mini sub-division! I own 15 acres, 10 of which are solid woods with 2 creeks. I to had a problem with a neighbor who happened to be a police officer for the city north of us (I live in the county). After a couple visits from the local sheriff I went to the county surveyors office and got a computer print out with the lines on the map showing the area of my property within this boundry. I lost about 1 acre when all was said and done! then myself and both boys commenced to target practice when I knew she was home and sure enough here comes the sheriffs dept. I gave them a copy of all my papers and gave them a copy for my neighbor which they delivered. She has not spoke to me since!

And remember that you have to ensure that all of your bullets do not cross your property lines.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    First off, you don't know this captain. He does stuff like that.

Second, I live in Lawrence County too, and I have dealt with corrupt Sheriff's Departments before. I am happy to say that I believe that the Lawrence County Sheriff's office is one of the most by the book Sheriff's office in the state. I have no affiliation with the Sheriff's office but I am just glad to have an above the board law office. That being said, there is always a goofball in every organization hence my first statement.

Third, the Prosecutor's office is not the proper place to check for County ordinances. Even though the county prosecutor is called the county prosecutor, she can only enforce state laws. County ordinances are actually civil violations which would have to be enforced by a civil suit by the county attorney.

Fourth, there is no copy of laws he can have. There are no laws that allow many things. The laws disallow things. Therefore, he cannot copy a law that says he can shoot in his yard.

Ok what is the Captains name? What is the name of the neighbors? What do they do for a living? Give more details.

BTW, Kirk Freeman who posts here is an attorney in Frankfort. Might send him a message via INGO.

Top Bottom