• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    LoL@ "right to quiet enjoyment". :laugh:

You might be surprised on that. Those 4 words form the basis of almost all noise ordinances. Out in the country, county noise ordances can vary from non-existent to "I can hear it a 1/4 mile away."

For instance, I rent a house inside of city limits. But the house is zoned R2, and has an upstairs residence. This house was last remodeled in 1928, and is thus, a very old house, and sound travels extremely well. My wife and I can hear the neighbors walking around when our TV is on. And we can especially hear it when the neighbor's little boy is running around and stomping...usually around 5 am, or 12 am, 3 am, etc. We even hear it during the day, but it's a kid. During the day, she tries to put up with it, but in the evening say when we are sitting down to eat at the table, stomping directly above our food gets increasingly irritating. It also doesn't help the last time that we, very nicely and politely, talked to the neighbor about the noise, we got cussed out. Now we just call the local boys to talk to them, that way they can't try to tell anybody we tried to intimidate them or whatever.

Due to all this, I started looking into local ordinances. City noise ordinances usually cite a specific noise db as measured from the road above any ambient noise. But they also mention a right for quiet enjoyment inside your own dwelling. That's not to say that it is a criminal infraction, however, calling the landlord and/or police helps establish a repeated pattern of noise. And that allows a civil suit in court, allowing them to sue for being a public menace.

So, just food for thought before you dismiss that too quickly. That may be what they are trying to do to the OP.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    First off, you don't know this captain. He does stuff like that.

Second, I live in Lawrence County too, and I have dealt with corrupt Sheriff's Departments before. I am happy to say that I believe that the Lawrence County Sheriff's office is one of the most by the book Sheriff's office in the state. I have no affiliation with the Sheriff's office but I am just glad to have an above the board law office. That being said, there is always a goofball in every organization hence my first statement.

+1 on this. The main problems we have in this county with LE are NOT the sheriff dept.

Having dealt with several county sheriffs over the years in my professional capacity, I can say this post is 100% accurate. I have a lot of respect for Sheriff Craig, and he is somewhat limited in what he can do about yahoos, and I'm reasonably happy that we don't have too many yahoo LEOs in the county police department.

JoshuaRWhite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    South Bend, Indiana
    Call the Sheriffs office and speak to the Head Sheriff if you sure enough have thelaw on your side. We were having the same issue here. I live in South Bend but it's the 5 digit county where you can shoot. We took proactive measures and made a backstop about 6' high with 16 square yards of dirt in fron of it and more dirt behind it. We had the cops called here 3 times and each time the morons told us something different and lied about being the Rangemasters. So we called the Sheriff and his legal advisors. Since then the cops have not come back out. Whether they are just ignoring my neighbors calls or the neighbors realized we're not stopping is anybodies guess. Either way I'm doing things just o upset the neighbors. Going out and shooting right at the legal time limits, having my friends come over and we just form a shooting line so when one finishes another starts, bumpfiring, gonna buy tannerite. I agree with the other posters on here, take this personally and destroy the parts of the fence on your property.

686 Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Huntington County
    I was driving through Grant County, one day, at a very high rate of speed, I had a buddy along for the ride. Suddenly a sheriff’s deputy pulled up behind me with red and blue lights flashing, I pulled over to the side of the road he got out of his car, tapped on my window with his flashlight, I rolled the window down and the deputy whacked me up side of the head with the flashlight, he then said “You’re in Grant County now, when a deputy pulls you over, you have your window down and your license and registration out waiting for him.” I handed him my license and registration, he then ran my information, handed me my license and registration back, and said, “slow down and have a nice day.” The deputy then walked over to the passenger’s window tapped on the glass with his flashlight, my buddy rolled down the window and the deputy whacked him on the head with the flashlight, my buddy asked, “what was that for” the deputy replied, “ Don’t tell me that when I pull away you weren’t going to look over at your friend and say, “I wouldn’t take that crap from that deputy, if he would have whacked me in the head with a flashlight, I would have got out and beat his a$$”, I was just giving you the opportunity.”
    The aforementioned story was made-up, none of it was true. The moral of the story is, you will always get some “pretty good” advice from people that weren’t there and if it were them they would have handled it differently than what you did. You did fine, don’t tear down the fence , wait and find out if there are any legal issues before you resume shooting and try to be as courteous of a neighbor as possible, try talking to your neighbor and assure them they are not in harms way and you want the full enjoyment out of your property and you will work with them to see that they will continue to live in a safe environment.
    Property lines are usually one of those things that get escalated to the point of legal action, try being 100% right before that legal action occurs.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I was driving through Grant County, one day, at a very high rate of speed, I had a buddy along for the ride. Suddenly a sheriff’s deputy pulled up behind me with red and blue lights flashing, I pulled over to the side of the road he got out of his car, tapped on my window with his flashlight, I rolled the window down and the deputy whacked me up side of the head with the flashlight, he then said “You’re in Grant County now, when a deputy pulls you over, you have your window down and your license and registration out waiting for him.” I handed him my license and registration, he then ran my information, handed me my license and registration back, and said, “slow down and have a nice day.” The deputy then walked over to the passenger’s window tapped on the glass with his flashlight, my buddy rolled down the window and the deputy whacked him on the head with the flashlight, my buddy asked, “what was that for” the deputy replied, “ Don’t tell me that when I pull away you weren’t going to look over at your friend and say, “I wouldn’t take that crap from that deputy, if he would have whacked me in the head with a flashlight, I would have got out and beat his a$$”, I was just giving you the opportunity.”
    The aforementioned story was made-up, none of it was true. The moral of the story is, you will always get some “pretty good” advice from people that weren’t there and if it were them they would have handled it differently than what you did. You did fine, don’t tear down the fence , wait and find out if there are any legal issues before you resume shooting and try to be as courteous of a neighbor as possible, try talking to your neighbor and assure them they are not in harms way and you want the full enjoyment out of your property and you will work with them to see that they will continue to live in a safe environment.
    Property lines are usually one of those things that get escalated to the point of legal action, try being 100% right before that legal action occurs.

:lol2:

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Read the entire thread and I feel bad for you troycowan. If we lived closer I'd just invite you to come shoot at my house.

Best of luck in getting this resolved.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    thats basically what he said, but he couldnt tell me yes or no for sure on shooting. they have alot going on down here with bomb threats so after all that ends hopefully Ill be able to get to talk to him a little more and maybe just invite the whole department to come out and shoot with me.

The Sheriff is never going to be able to give you an absolutely authoritative answer on it; that is not his job and nor is he qualified to. As long as there is no local ordinance on it, and I can't imagine there is in Lawrence Co., and you are not violating the Criminal Recklessness with a Firearm statute etc. then I am hard pressed to see the problem; at least as far as criminal law goes. Now, if there are rounds ending up on your neighbors property, then you are gonna have an issue both civilly and potentially criminally.

Best,

Joe

rush176

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2010
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Don't know if anyone else posted this yet but I found this on the IDNR website "The Department of Natural Resources Shooting Range grant program is an assistance program for the development of rifle, handgun, shotgun, and archery facilities. The main objective of this program is to provide the citizens of Indiana with additional and safer places to fire their guns, and train hunter education students"

Maybe the OP should contact the DNR officer, since the sheriff brought it up, and apply for a grant to expand his range. Maybe you could use the government grant to buy out the neighbor, or kick him out via eminent domain, just to make sure you have plenty of room.

I know what I am doing over Christmas break. Filing out grant paperwork! :rockwoot:

Top Bottom