• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    Thanks for the advice, Ill PM if you if it doesnt go as good as I hope but I think it should go alright after the conversation I had today with one of the deputies.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Yep

This thread is a joke.

Bottom line is if you live in the county you can shoot. Your neighbors can call police and complain of disturbance. The police can not stop you from shooting on your property if in the county. If you are which I read you are not shooting in City limits youre an idiot cause youd get fined and probably arrested around here in Louisville area. I shoot all the time on my place. Every time I shoot someone calls the police. I had sherrifs calling my cell phone to see if I was shooting instead of driving to my house after enough trips. Finally they stopped unless I empty some drums or something.

Also from personal experience, I would suck my pride and ego up and absolutely not start a neighbor dispute. Man it sucks when you have a neighbor you cant get along with. I find communication works best in solving problems not childish vandalism though thats more fun. If it were my neighbor I would walk over and talk to them as I understand some people get nervous about guns being fired around their horses.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I would really like to know what the DNR can do about it if local PD can't do anything about it,

I would have went out back and emptied a couple mags,

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    From what I know of the Sheriff and the meetings that are scheduled, I think the shooting on property thing is going to be taken care of.

Re: Horses
    I have horses on the 4 acres next to my 5 acres.
    They are just there when the owner needs a second place to keep them from time to time.
    If the horses are there and I start shooting they ALWAYS run up and stand by my targets to see what all the fuss is about.
    They are curious as cats.
    So I can't really shoot when they are there.
    That doesn't make any difference to Troys situation, just saying that not all horses are afraid of gunfire.

Troy...
    Re: the fence
    I am going to give you some advice here that you may not like but you really need to listen.
    We had to survey our property when we bought it a couple of decades ago.
    The property lines were ALL shifted about 6 feet to the east of where we thought they were.
    The fence lines (built 100 years ago) were only reasonably close to the actual property lines laid out from the legal description, using modern equipment.
    What I am saying is that getting a survey done in Lawrence County is the LAST thing you want to do.
    There is no way to tell how good or bad the actual layout will be for you.
    Be a good neighbor.
    If the electric fence is bothering you, mend it.
    You need to be able to let you kids play in the yard, but I don't think you should expect this Bozo neighbor to do anything that directly benefits you
    Like.. fixing the fence when it doesn't bother him in the least.
    Just my :twocents:. :)

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    OP - Good luck today in your meeting. Don't be suprised if they don't accept you real well. I have been through this.

In light of your applying to these departments can I give you one piece of humble advise (although I am sure you already are planning this)? Go in there and ask as though you are really just wanting to know the law so that you are sure you are complying with it. If you get all bent out of shape then the job is gone. It's certainly your choice but at that point you will be choosing.

My short story - My family went to a service for a fallen soldier in Iraq who was being brought home. They went to support the family although we did not know him. I was at work but I was overjoyed that they were going to the service.

It was rumored that the Westborough Baptist church was coming to protest, so people were watching for them. Some little bitty from our town that is the town gossip for some reason thought my kids and wife were there to protest the funeral so they told a cop. The cop comes over and questions my wife and kids. She explained "NO. we are here to support the soldiers family". The officer said "Well, if you have opinions you need to keep them to yourself". Of course the whole crowd is looking at my family with distane now thinking because the officer was questioning them and because the bitty was over there telling people lies, that my family was part of that WBC hate group.

I was livid and I called the police department to speak with the Chief in a very calm and rational manner. I also had an email exchange with him. He never backed off defending his officer. He just made us feel like the police are the only ones that care about this fallen hero.

My family will probably never attend another gathering like this because of the actions of the officer, the bitties and the police Chief that defends it. Sad, Sad day.. I was so proud of my wife and kids for taking the time to go. Then to be accused of something like that by a uniformed officer and not have the officer apologize and explain to the bitty that "no, they are here to support the soldiers family" is very hard to explain to the kids. We are all still very hurt by it and the kids will never forget it. Niether will I.

So be ready for them to treat you like you know nothing. Just as the officer said to you when you explained that you are a military police officer "Oh, your one of those guys".

Good luck.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Neighbors did the same thing to me and my property is the city limt. SinceI live in the county and there are no ordanances to prevent the shooting as long as your are safe. The officer looked at the site and we talked for a few minutes and he left. Personally I would tell them to move the fence or you will have it removed. Sounds like the officer was a freind and doing the neighbors biding. Give the DNR a call and they will be more than happy to answer questions and check the range if needed.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    You are very wrong in your judgement of my motive.

We dont need more LAWS.

We need people to act like they have a brain in their head.

LEGAL does not mean wise. or safe.

If you are going to shoot on your property, is is your responsibility to make that shooting range SAFE. For the sake of your neighbors.

This isnt a law, its acting like a decent neighbor.

BUILD A BETTER BACKSTOP. problem solved.

The only LAW that is being broken here is Jeff Coopers 4th law of gun safety. Be sure of your target and whats behind it.

And that is one LAW, that we would all be better off to keep in mind.

correct me if im wrong but i thought the neighbors were to the side of him and he was shooting in a different direction than the neighbors all together...maybe im wrong but thats what i took away from the story.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Not sure if this was brought up. I wonder how the local fur fuzz (fish cop) would react if you told him the captain had indicated to you that he could get the DNR officer to unlawfully harass you? I wouldn't think they would appreciate it.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    My understanding is that the recent state law voiding local laws, also voided "discharge of firearms" ordinances. I was told tha IMPD wouldn't enforce the Indy ban on shooting, but don't plan on being that test case.

How sure are you of this? Link?

(looking to be informed)

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    So got a new glock 23 yesterday, and took it out back today to do some shooting, to clarify i have 1 acre in the backyard and a 6ft hill used as a backstop, with the bottom being dug out and reinforced with steel plates in the dirt as well. there is a horse farm about 2 acres behind my property,( no horses were outside all in the barn and way out of my distance for shooting). and about 10 after I started I noticed the neighbor was out and taking pictures of my yard and me shooting. I didnt think much of it until the sheriff dept. banged on my door. I answered politely and was greeted by a captain of the sheriffs dept. who informed me Im not aloud to shoot on my property and that if i did i would be fined, I then asked if he would like to go out on my property and see my range, he informed me he didnt need to see it because the neighbors had already told him about my set up. He was very rude and when i enformed him that Im a military police officer and that I know firearms safety, he laughed and said so your one of those guys, told me if I shoot again the DNR would be called and I would receive a hefty fine and got in his car and left, sad part is the neighbors have had an electric fence on my property line for about 2 years that hangs over on my side and I have not once asked them to fix it. ( I cant let my 2 yr old play in the yard because of it). Some people just dont get it.
    Sounds like I would be calling the zoning board to have their fence moved! Tit for tat.:twocents:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I didn't talk about my political beliefs and try to avoid adding that into any internet conversation. They have no relevance and that was part of the point I was trying to make through sarcasm. Re-read the post i quoted.

BTW I'm very conservative :D

I was not intending to offend, just making a statement from my own personal feelings and experiences. I will be the first to stand and defend your right to see things as you do. Liberal, conservative, independent or whatever you may believe is fine with me. All to often folks try to regulate the behavior of others and push their beliefs on them. I have (as so many do) personal experience with
    neighbors that act in this way. It is always a pianful no win situation when the local Leo's get involved.
    I did miss your sarcasm.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    alrighty well talked to the sheriff today. Had a pretty good conversation with him about the issue, got the paperwork to file a formal complaint against the officer for the way he acted. now on to the shooting issue, He told me that he could not give me permission or tell me no, he did however tell me that in his opinion as long as i am being safe and the rounds do not leave my property he doesnt see why it would be a problem, but that the neighbors would could just keep calling them and harrassing me. He did however say that if they pursued legal action it could be considered negligent use of a firearm being that they own the property north of and east of my property. not really happy with the answers because It doesnt give me a clear on shooting. So for now looks like Ill be finding me a nice gun range around my area, and playing it safe until I can figure out a permanent solution. I would understand their concerns if I was using high powered rifles and not shooting into a safe location or if I was just a teenager who didnt know weapon safety.

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    As long as you have an adequate berm, which it sounds like you do, I would continue shooting in a safe manner. Perhaps in the Spring, make the berm even taller and wider. Maybe even add some protruding side berms.

By practicing and all rounds staying in your berm, how could you be negligent? If a round leaves your property, sure.

troycowan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2009
    Bedford, IN
    thats basically what he said, but he couldnt tell me yes or no for sure on shooting. they have alot going on down here with bomb threats so after all that ends hopefully Ill be able to get to talk to him a little more and maybe just invite the whole department to come out and shoot with me.

Top Bottom