• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I too would like to know the name of the deputy involved.
    A PM will work.

Regarding guns being dangerous.
    I think the deputy had a responsibility to go and actually see the shooting area and backstop like the OP offered.
    If the deputy had done that I could have more sympathy for the unwise shooting argument.
    We tend to get off track on splitting hairs here and I can see where shooting on a couple of acres can be dangerous to the neighbors
    BUT
    Here is part of the original post:

The deputy did not cite what code was being violated.
    He did not offer to help the OP in any way whatsoever.
    IMHO and if the OP was fairly factual, it was just intimidation.
    Officer Authoritah on the job.

I agree 100% he should have examined the backstop. He was not doing his job. And seemed to be making empty threats. And shouldnt have just taken the neighbors word for it... that doesnt sound like any cop I have ever dealt with.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    You are very wrong in your judgement of my motive.

We dont need more LAWS.

We need people to act like they have a brain in their head.

LEGAL does not mean wise. or safe.

If you are going to shoot on your property, is is your responsibility to make that shooting range SAFE. For the sake of your neighbors.

This isnt a law, its acting like a decent neighbor.

BUILD A BETTER BACKSTOP. problem solved.

The only LAW that is being broken here is Jeff Coopers 4th law of gun safety. Be sure of your target and whats behind it.

And that is one LAW, that we would all be better off to keep in mind.

+1 and a rep for you sir....

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I agree 100% he should have examined the backstop. He was not doing his job. And seemed to be making empty threats. And shouldnt have just taken the neighbors word for it... that doesnt sound like any cop I have ever dealt with.

If an accurate synopsis by the OP, it was one of these fellows:

http://www.lawrencecountysheriff.com/officers.html

All three captains have been on the force for long enough to know the laws.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    DNR is a very active SAFET group...news here - The RadioReference.com Forums

Here is some discussion over that issue. People stating that DNR is in fact Federal. They can even write a speeding ticket. None of my input is credible, these are just things I hear.

The CO's in Indiana most certainly are NOT "federal". At all. They are, essentially, a specialized unit/s within the Indiana State Police. And they can most certainly enforce any and all traffic ordinances should they choose. However, most only do so within the boundaries of the state-owned properties / roads leading into / out of same.

Several years ago there was a concern that the lead from shooting ranges was leaching in to the public waterways, therefore polluting them. Maybe that is why Barney mentioned the DNR. If DNR suspects that runoff from your land contains lead, they can and will shut down your shooting range

DNR doesn't have much at all to do with lead in soil, groundwater, or drinking water. This is all under IDEM's bailiwick.

JStarr

Shooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Portland
    So got a new glock 23 yesterday, and took it out back today to do some shooting, to clarify i have 1 acre in the backyard and a 6ft hill used as a backstop, with the bottom being dug out and reinforced with steel plates in the dirt as well. there is a horse farm about 2 acres behind my property,( no horses were outside all in the barn and way out of my distance for shooting). and about 10 after I started I noticed the neighbor was out and taking pictures of my yard and me shooting. I didnt think much of it until the sheriff dept. banged on my door. I answered politely and was greeted by a captain of the sheriffs dept. who informed me Im not aloud to shoot on my property and that if i did i would be fined, I then asked if he would like to go out on my property and see my range, he informed me he didnt need to see it because the neighbors had already told him about my set up. He was very rude and when i enformed him that Im a military police officer and that I know firearms safety, he laughed and said so your one of those guys, told me if I shoot again the DNR would be called and I would receive a hefty fine and got in his car and left, sad part is the neighbors have had an electric fence on my property line for about 2 years that hangs over on my side and I have not once asked them to fix it. ( I cant let my 2 yr old play in the yard because of it). Some people just dont get it.

go cut the fence down if its on your property and shoot their horses if they come on your property.:twocents:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    w1RB8.jpg

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    I know most of them one way or another and I'm going to withhold negative comments since it can come back to haunt me, but I will say that MOST of the guys are generally as professional as can be expected.

Frank looks like he just came from his annual prostate exam and is feeling a little sheepish. Toby looks like he's having his RIGHT NOW. Shane just hopes his dad doesn't catch him playing with his uniform.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I know most of them one way or another and I'm going to withhold negative comments since it can come back to haunt me, but I will say that MOST of the guys are generally as professional as can be expected.
    I have some experience with several of them myself, way more than I ever cared to be associated with anyway. The ones I hate the most are the ones who have entirely to many Mr. Smiths and Mr Lynchs working for them... :popcorn:

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I might as well weigh in:
    I see no reason the DNR would have anything to do with this unless there are game laws violations involved and it doesnt sound like there is. The typical Urban BS legend drives me nuts. Game Wardens have more power than (fill in the blank). Its BS. They enforce fish and game laws. Period. Can they help enforce others if NEED be? Yes. SO what? SO can we as citizens.
    Also, who are you guys that have determined that his backstop isnt safe? I have not seen any pictures. Have you been there?
    Unless there have been recent changes to the laws that I'm not aware of, the law states that "the projectile cant leave the property of the property owner" It doesnt say the backstop has to be so many feet by so many feet. Or made os such and such material
    I think that communication could go a long way here with the neighbors. I have been on both sides of this situation. I have been on my property and had bullets skip over my head and I have had the Sheriff come out and check me out. By the way thats thier job to check it out if they get a call. Doesnt give them the right to be an ass or make up bullcrap about laws that dont exist.
    I agree that you have 2 sperate issues about the fence and I wouldnt combine them.
    I also wouldnt listen to another party offering thier opinion of how many acres you need to be safe to shoot or throwing out some made up "safety rule number 13 of Barney Five revolver safety clearly states...."
    If you have 80 acres or 1/2 an acre and you contain your projectile you should be good to go. Of course common sense can go a long way but we dont need to tell you that
    Good luck

Top Bottom