• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    So, I send my son to get the grand daughter from school and he will stop to fill up the van (with a 5.4) on the way. He calls me with that tone in his voice....you know the one.....dad, the van won't start.
    I ask all the normal questions and he has already checked. I ask him to try again and bingo, it starts right up. He rolled home to get the GMC and the damn thing started every time I tried it. I will go to my budys shop tomorrow and use the scanner.
    Sorry for the thread jack but we are already on the 5.4 diagnostic subject.

OP....looking at the numbers I would let them do it. Especially for the re-flash.

Don't know what year yours is but my 05 wouldn't start one day, wouldn't even turn over. I kept trying and trying and nada. Then I noticed another key on my key ring was resting against the ignition cylinder. Once said key was moved it fired right up. It must have causing an issue with the security chip in the key.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Don't know what year yours is but my 05 wouldn't start one day, wouldn't even turn over. I kept trying and trying and nada. Then I noticed another key on my key ring was resting against the ignition cylinder. Once said key was moved it fired right up. It must have causing an issue with the security chip in the key.

That makes sense but there are only the ignition and house key on the van ring.
    Truck is on 02. It spun over fine just no start up.

It has started every time I tried in the last hour....Have no freaking clue.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Well throttle body has been replaced. Oil changed due to engine flooding had 2 extra quarts of gas in it. He was able to get it started but had misfires on cylinders 1,3,5,7 hope it just fouled do to flooding.

Church you figure anything out on your 02?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well throttle body has been replaced. Oil changed due to engine flooding had 2 extra quarts of gas in it. He was able to get it started but had misfires on cylinders 1,3,5,7 hope it just fouled do to flooding.

Church you figure anything out on your 02?

Drove the thing all day today. Son ran it a few places as well. No failures and ran like a top. My buddy was slammed with work due to the cold so I will get over to his shop tomorrow and get it scanned.

Darn if I know??

Good thing you did not get yours running with all the fuel in the sump. That could have gotten ugly.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Got the dreaded blown motor phone call today at lunch "BALL SACK" I retract my comment several pages back about jumping off the FORD wagon..........
    How about them Toyotas

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hell no. Say it aint so....not a Toyota.....please not a Toyota.........:faint:
    Truly sorry for your loss.....taps.

Put a salvage yard motor in it and trade the turd in.

My 5.4 has been fine since to one incident. Had it scanned and no codes save for the ABS wheel sensor I was already aware of.

I have no idea.....:dunno:

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy
    Ran the scanner getting engine code P1022 and P0223 both in relation to the throttle position sensor.
    So looking up test procedure for this guy but would a bad sensor cause a no start?
    Yes it could. The TPS can do all sorts of crazy things if faulty. Had issues in 2 vehicles with the TPS (neither a Ford). My wife's Chevy van had a faulty TPS that would cut out at highway speed (engine hot only) causing the computer to shutdown the engine. It would leave her stranded on the roadside. Once engine was cool, it would start again. Replaced part=good to go. Our Cherokee had similar issues with a faulty TPS. Sometimes it would not start. Other times, once engine was hot, it would not die, but would sputter chug like it was starving for gas. Let engine cool & it would run fine. Replaced TPS=no more issues.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    Hell no. Say it aint so....not a Toyota.....please not a Toyota.........:faint:
    Truly sorry for your loss.....taps.

Put a salvage yard motor in it and trade the turd in.

My 5.4 has been fine since to one incident. Had it scanned and no codes save for the ABS wheel sensor I was already aware of.

I have no idea.....:dunno:

May try trading it in as is. I traded a 2004 Neon with a fully blown tranny (fluid looked like Pepto) and they gave me $1400 sight unseen. Car was only probably worth $2200. I heard they dropped a junkyard tranny in and auctioned it, made their money back. Wasn't worth my time to deal with it.

And as far as the Toyota trucks - those are made here in the US. My wife's Focus is Mexican. Go figure.

ws98ta

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Got the dreaded blown motor phone call today at lunch "BALL SACK" I retract my comment several pages back about jumping off the FORD wagon..........
    How about them Toyotas
    Get it to a ford dealer. They extended the warranty on the fuel injector because the injectors stick open and wipe out the motor(fuel wash).
    With 2 qts of gas in your oil I will put money on at least 1 injector sticking.
    They extended warranty to 11years 120k miles .

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Get it to a ford dealer. They extended the warranty on the fuel injector because the injectors stick open and wipe out the motor(fuel wash).
    With 2 qts of gas in your oil I will put money on at least 1 injector sticking.
    They extended warranty to 11years 120k miles .

Thanks ws98ta I will look into that

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm lurking on the sidelines, as a long time Ford truck (used) devote. Sorry for your troubles Whitsettd8, thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm looking at a, new to me, pickup this next year sometime. Any advice on models and years to avoid are appreciated!

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Any reference to a source I'm sure a dealer isn't just going to hand over that info.
    Not sure bout the mileage on the truck but there is extended coverage via a injector issue on 04-05 5.4 3v engines.. The injects can stick open and flood the cylinders to the point that it can cause a hydrolock situation that potentially bends a connecting rod.. Have seen it personally several times... You need to find a dealer you can trust and have it towed there...

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I'm lurking on the sidelines, as a long time Ford truck (used) devote. Sorry for your troubles Whitsettd8, thanks for keeping us updated.

I'm looking at a, new to me, pickup this next year sometime. Any advice on models and years to avoid are appreciated!

Stay away from 04/05

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Any suggestions on where to look for a replacement motor. Rebuild vs Crate vs Junkyard. My mechanic has a 80k mile wreck recovery for 2900 with a 3 year warranty. Fordy wants 4800 for a new one.

Top Bottom