• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    It could still pump but not the volume to deliver the pressure level needed to inject adequate fuel volume to feed the engine..

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Ford

Has updated the part and mounting hardware to minimize failure.. The originals were mounted with 8 mm headed screws directly to frame crossmember and updated parts are 13 mm studs with 13mm nuts securing fpdm to the studs...

ErickW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Probably one of the coils, especially at that mileage. I used to own the same truck, check out f150online.com, anything you could ever need to know about that truck you'll find on there.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    A single coil will not cause a no start concern... Rough cold start yes but engine will start... Btw I'm a ase master and ford senior master technician... Work at a near east side Indy dealer.. I have seen this situation before... I'm 75% sure it's a fpdm... Very common issue

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I can't locate a scanner at any of the local auto stores a friend is bringing one to work tomorrow. Hopefully I can at least pull a code. I'm hesitant to buy a $100 part on the hopes it's it.
    Any other conditions you can think of the would result in a not start confirmed spark on 4 of 8 cylinders I haven't pulled anymore coil packs. Confirm cycling of valves with meter.
    Would timing chain or anything else cause no starts without other symptoms.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I can't locate a scanner at any of the local auto stores a friend is bringing one to work tomorrow. Hopefully I can at least pull a code. I'm hesitant to buy a $100 part on the hopes it's it.
    Any other conditions you can think of the would result in a not start confirmed spark on 4 of 8 cylinders I haven't pulled anymore coil packs. Confirm cycling of valves with meter.
    Would timing chain or anything else cause no starts without other symptoms.
    If it jumped time, more than likely the engine would not turn over on a stuck open valve. (Not sure if that engine is a interference engine or not). I would stay away from the ignition circuit since it WILL NOT start at all and you have confirmed spark. (Is it bright blue arc?). You really need a valid fuel pressure reading to troubleshoot further in the fuel system!

If you didnt live all the way down in BFE I would bring over my AutoXray scan tool! :(

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Spark looked more orangish yellow but that was using a screwdriver shoved in a cop and ground to the frame not the actual spark plug.
    Ok here is something weird I noticed.
    I pulled the main gas line off the fuel rail in the engine bay in an attempt to flush the lines a little. When I started the truck it tried to hit some sputtered and continued cranking. Reattaching the gas line it wouldn't try starting at all.
    Also noticed a heavy fuel smell and smoke/vapor coming out of the small line in the intake tube.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Spark looked more orangish yellow but that was using a screwdriver shoved in a cop and ground to the frame not the actual spark plug.
    Ok here is something weird I noticed.
    I pulled the main gas line off the fuel rail in the engine bay in an attempt to flush the lines a little. When I started the truck it tried to hit some sputtered and continued cranking. Reattaching the gas line it wouldn't try starting at all.
    Also noticed a heavy fuel smell and smoke/vapor coming out of the small line in the intake tube.
    That spark should be bright blue. If your battery is low from all the cranking that might explain the orange color. All the gas in there is probably from you trying to start it.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    A code retriever isn't magic.. It's only going to tell you what the processor sees as a fault.. Spark air and fuel is what you need to make anynengine run... I am trying to look up a wiring diagram to figure out which wires to jump to allow the pump to run w/o fpdm.. Will post or pm op

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Looks as if you jump brown and white wire with black and yellow ground circuit and white with pink and black you will bypass the fpdm and you can tell if truck will start.... If the fpdm has any serious external corrosion it should be replaced.. It's a common. Enough failure item we look for it when we have f-150's in the air

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Looks as if you jump brown and white wire with black and yellow ground circuit and white with pink and black you will bypass the fpdm and you can tell if truck will start.... If the fpdm has any serious external corrosion it should be replaced.. It's a common. Enough failure item we look for it when we have f-150's in the air
    An easier and more prudent fix is to just go get a Chevy Silverado or GMC Sierra! :p

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I will agree that the Chevy/gmc is prob more reliable and slightly easier to work on but??? If you want a car with a bed get a Chevy!!! Lol!!

That aint true. My ford buddy's say that all the time but I have owned my GMC since new and had no real issues with it outside normal maint.
    It pulled a 30 ft. Race car trailer that was 400 LBS. over the load rating of the truck for 5 years. Went all over the country with it. Great truck.
    Our Ford Custom van has the 5.4 in it and it has ran like a champ as well.

OP.....The spark being anything but bright blue indicates an issue. COP units will knock you stupid.
    As stated....check Fuel pressure at the rail.
    If it is in spec there is most likely an electrical issue. Just one plug not firing will not keep the motor from starting.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Ah I knew the Chevy comment was coming and for the sake of the thread I'll ignore it. I've beat the living hell out of my Ford trucks and I don't ever see me jumping ship.

I'll try and bypass the fpdm as listed.
    I went ahead and ordered one off the web for 60 bucks.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Ran the scanner getting engine code P1022 and P0223 both in relation to the throttle position sensor.
    So looking up test procedure for this guy but would a bad sensor cause a no start?

Top Bottom