• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Clear the code, see if the problem goes away (at least temporarily) may just need to clean the throttle body, these are drive by wire, no throttle cable, and will defaul to no acceleration and/or no start if a fault is detected.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    cleared error and it came back
    When I put a meter on it I got 5v between hot and ground I was able to probe the signal lines and move the throttle plate and see the voltage drop from 4.4v to 1.2 and .88 volts to 4.2 so again I'm stumped

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Have a read here P0122 Ford Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor 'A' Circuit Low Input OBDII Engine Light Trouble Code | Engine-Codes.com You meant 0122, right? http://engine-codes.com/p0223_ford.html
    Unplug wire harness at the throttle valve (stepper motor on your throttle body) and leave it disconnected and see if truck will start in default mode. If it does then you have a problem in the stepper motor, associated wiring harnes, or TPS at the "gas pedal" which is attached to the "gas pedal". Off to the dealer you go unless you wanna throw parts at it.
    I have not one but (2) 2003 Chevy Tahoes....need someone to give you a ride to the parts store? I have leather heated seats...that work. :rockwoot:Some Ford and Dodge owners just never learn. :D

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    cleared error and it came back
    When I put a meter on it I got 5v between hot and ground I was able to probe the signal lines and move the throttle plate and see the voltage drop from 4.4v to 1.2 and .88 volts to 4.2 so again I'm stumped
    You didnt see any voltage levels below 4.4v until you got to 1.2v? If so, then your TPS is junk. You should see a sweep of voltages that are proportional to the pedal position. Should not see a big gap in voltages as you move the pedal from idle to WOT, it should be a fairly linear up/down then down/up in voltage level.

Remember the days of a noisey volume knob (potentiometer) on the home stereo. It would crack and pop and the sound would drop in and out when the pot gets dirt? This is what it sounds like you are experiencing, only in your TPS Potentiometer. Dead/dirty spots in the sweep of the Pot.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    The Voltage sweep looked really clean it didn't jump around any pretty steady drop as I moved the plate to WOT. I need to find a auto store that has a fuel pressure gauge that will interface with the Ford quick connects my gut tells me its the fuel pump or FPDM as mentioned before.
    New FPDM should be here tomorrow so that will at least eliminate that.

Remauto my heated seats work quite nicely and very comforting after lying on the snow covered ground trying to change fuel filter and check other things. And don't group Ford owners in with Dodge owners they are a whole different breed.

Another question in reading all the different forums a lot of guys are acting like the 5.4 should have quite a bit of power like blow the tires off no problem. Mine has always been sluggish and as much as I hate to say it I just didn't expect much more going from a 4.6 to a 5.4. I know the 5.4 isn't going to compare to the Chevy 5.3 but what is everyone elses experience

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The Voltage sweep looked really clean it didn't jump around any pretty steady drop as I moved the plate to WOT. I need to find a auto store that has a fuel pressure gauge that will interface with the Ford quick connects my gut tells me its the fuel pump or FPDM as mentioned before.
    New FPDM should be here tomorrow so that will at least eliminate that.

Remauto my heated seats work quite nicely and very comforting after lying on the snow covered ground trying to change fuel filter and check other things. And don't group Ford owners in with Dodge owners they are a whole different breed.

Another question in reading all the different forums a lot of guys are acting like the 5.4 should have quite a bit of power like blow the tires off no problem. Mine has always been sluggish and as much as I hate to say it I just didn't expect much more going from a 4.6 to a 5.4. I know the 5.4 isn't going to compare to the Chevy 5.3 but what is everyone elses experience

Did you pull the harness from the throttle stepper motor and try to start the truck or are you still sitting on your butt on that heated seat? You are right....there is no comparison between ford's 5.4L and Chevy's 5.3L. The 5.3L will come out on top every time.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The 5.4 in our custom van hauls the mail. It is not as perky as the 5.3 in the GMC but it runs well.

I guess the key word here is it runs.

I agree with remauto.....linear voltage rise and fall at the TPS. That is how the computer sees where the peddle is and reacts accordingly

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I pulled the stepper plug off and the TPS sensor plug off. Cranked the engine and truck showed safe mode on display and would not start.
    Throwing in the towel..... tow truck coming at 4 when I get off work.
    I hope it's not a Chevy tow truck.......
    Wanna start a wager pool or poll on what's wrong with it.
    At this point I'm going with worst case scenario. Timing chain slipped valves bottomed out on cylinder and whole motor is shot......

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I pulled the stepper plug off and the TPS sensor plug off. Cranked the engine and truck showed safe mode on display and would not start.
    Throwing in the towel..... tow truck coming at 4 when I get off work.
    I hope it's not a Chevy tow truck.......
    Wanna start a wager pool or poll on what's wrong with it.
    At this point I'm going with worst case scenario. Timing chain slipped valves bottomed out on cylinder and whole motor is shot......
    If the tow truck is a Chevy atleast you know your BROKE DOWN Ford will make it to the shop. You should slip the driver a few buck and have him "accidentally" drop the truck very near a boat ramp and then you will be forced to collect the insurance $$$ so you can go get yourself a good GM truck.

I just cant deny myself the classic GM ribbing I can do with this Ford Breakdown!
    :laugh:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    The 5.4 in our custom van hauls the mail. It is not as perky as the 5.3 in the GMC but it runs well.

I guess the key word here is it runs.

I agree with remauto.....linear voltage rise and fall at the TPS. That is how the computer sees where the peddle is and reacts accordingly

Dont ever never ever agree with me! Ingo will think we are in cahoots! :cool: My $$$ is on the fuel pump driver, 2nd guess is on the fuel pump itself and 3rd the TPS Sensor at the Pedal.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am interested in what they find. Ford/Chevy/Dodge...they all break.

Hardly seems enough miles to loose a chain. My 5.4 has 146,000 on it.

In all fairness.....If I posted my GMC took a :poop: the ribbing would be endless from the Ford/Dodge camps.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Well Tech says the entire throttle body needs replaced I guess the motor went bad.
    Quoting me 619 to replace with factory OEM unit and reflash
    Or 486.69 for a rebuild and reflash
    Seems like a little F-in-the-A being the entire OEM assembly is $190 and probably a 1 hours swap.
    So question do I have to have it "reflashed" or can I just "reset" the PCM by disconnecting the battery?
    What say you INGO

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well Tech says the entire throttle body needs replaced I guess the motor went bad.
    Quoting me 619 to replace with factory OEM unit and reflash
    Or 486.69 for a rebuild and reflash
    Seems like a little F-in-the-A being the entire OEM assembly is $190 and probably a 1 hours swap.
    So question do I have to have it "reflashed" or can I just "reset" the PCM by disconnecting the battery?
    What say you INGO

The dealership will post up in your back side. They have huge overhead.
    The Navigator I bought my daughter (yes, we own 2 Fords) has air suspension. The rear went down and stayed there. Front was fine. I diagnosed all the way to a well hidden read air ride relay. Had to take it to the dealer. I told the service writer what was wrong. Part was $28.00 my cost after market. When I picked it up the bill was $368 and I went into orbit. They said the rate was 3 hrs. [lus diagnosis time plus part.
    Will never.......ever spend another dime in a Ford service dept.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    This is an independant shop not a dealership.
    Crunching the numbers is only gonna save me about 80 bucks doing it myself if it has to be reflashed
    200 throttle assembly
    35 diagnostic fee
    45 tow home
    45 tow to Ford
    85 reflash
    $410
    And the shop did offer a money back guarantee that this will fix the problem so a little piece of mind.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    I'm almost certain that it needs a reflash. I remember reading on F150online forum that they updated the TB's and the old programing won't work. I believe it was severely ticking off people that have custom tunes. The throttle body on my 05 F150 has been making a clanking sound for about year when I let off the gas. Sounds like the butterfly plate is slamming shut. I have custom tunes so I'm not going to mess with it until it quits functioning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So, I send my son to get the grand daughter from school and he will stop to fill up the van (with a 5.4) on the way. He calls me with that tone in his voice....you know the one.....dad, the van won't start.
    I ask all the normal questions and he has already checked. I ask him to try again and bingo, it starts right up. He rolled home to get the GMC and the damn thing started every time I tried it. I will go to my budys shop tomorrow and use the scanner.
    Sorry for the thread jack but we are already on the 5.4 diagnostic subject.

OP....looking at the numbers I would let them do it. Especially for the re-flash.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Every thread I read resulted in a reflash so they are rebuilding it now.

Well post your issues when you find out Church. I have been reading F-150 forums for about 4 days straight.

Top Bottom