• ...and so much more!
  • Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    5.4liter automatic 110000 miles no issues until today
    I was driving to Meijer today pulled into the parking lot and truck started to idle really rough. Went in picked up the groceries came back out. Truck struggled to start rough idle and appeared to be misfiring. Decided to try and make it home truck ran rough and had no power would barely accelerate but I made it home. Went back out to start working on the truck and now it won't start at all. Truck turns over but won't run.
    I pulled the gas line off the fuel filter to see if the pumps working and it seems to be running as I don't have a gauge to measure it.
    Autozone is out of the rental scanner and fuel pressure kit so I'm on my own a bit.
    So here's where I'm at check engine light is on
    Wont start at all
    Appears to be getting fuel
    Most of what I'm reading on the web points to cam phase sensors bad throttle body
    Would these conditions cause a no start? I've had issue with other Ford truck and the COP pack going bad and this is how it feels when running but never caused a no start.

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    I am by no means a mechanic, but doesn't that era of Ford motors have issues with spark plugs? Could that possible be a reason for it having problems running?

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    try looking on f150.com maybe have an answer for you there,sounds like its running on its defaults,goto autozone have them run the codes or if it wont run good enough to get there you can turn key on/off iirc 4 times and engine light will blink in a sequence will let you see codes and look them up online or call auto parts and they can tell you what code means. I wouldnt reset the computer unless you know what code is then reset it.

Ralphie Parker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 23, 2013
    Waterloo
    I have a 2005 with over 200k and last summer it had an injector go bad and dumped too much gas in. It ran pretty rough and loss of power and misfire, but it never refused to start.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    Pull a spark plug and check for spark. If you are firing, pull an injector to see if you're injecting fuel. If you're not injecting fuel it points to a computer issue. If no spark, it could be a number of things. I wonder if maybe water/ice has somehow got under your hood while driving recently and gotten something wet. Getting a scanner will definitely help you out.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Had something similar occur with our jeep. While on a trip to north of Indy, I noticed a definite miss. I started watching the tach and noticed that it would drop about 700 rpms in a quick "skip". By the time we arrived at our destination (much puckering on my part) it was near constant.

We were able to get it in to a car dealer while there. I believe the problem was a throttle sensor? They replaced it and no problem with it again.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Pull a spark plug and check for spark. If you are firing, pull an injector to see if you're injecting fuel. If you're not injecting fuel it points to a computer issue. If no spark, it could be a number of things. I wonder if maybe water/ice has somehow got under your hood while driving recently and gotten something wet. Getting a scanner will definitely help you out.

Please do not do this. The ford spark plugs with this series engine are very expensive and break extremely easily upon removal.

You will need a fuel rail pressure gauge. You will need to know what minimum rail pressure is at KOEOff and KOEOn.

A scan gauge is a good place to start....

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I would have bet it is a C.O.P. (coil on plug) until you said no start, need to go to auto part store and have them scan to see what is going on, if it is a cop that will tell you what cylinder is dead, by new cop and install, it is a 30sec job, requires a 8 or 10mm socket, unplug, unscrew, pop off, pop new one in, replace screw, plug in and good to go!

Never wash or get Ford engine wet, the cop's suck and you will kill them one by one.

I would say you are looking at $60 for a new cop.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Just because you "can hear" the fuel pump running DOES NOT mean you have fuel pressure (Or the min.) at the fuel rail. Electric fuel pumps have a check valve in them to prevent bleed off when engine is not running and makes for easier cold startup. Pump can be running but no fuel pressure at the rail. Fuel pressure gauge on the rail is ONE of the first test I would be doing. IF that checks ok (Need to know the min. design pressure for that year/model/engine) then I would get any old spark plug that will fit your spark plug wire and hold the wire with the spark plug against chassis ground and have someone try to start and make sure the spark is bright lightning blue. If its white or yellow/orange then you have ignition (Coil) problems. Scan tool WILL NOT tell you that you have no/low fuel pressure nor will it tell you that a coil pack is bad. It will however note misfires and which cylinders.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Be very careful trying to pull a spark plug on that engine. They are a two part plug that tends to leave a part behind when removed. There is a service bulletin regarding how to remove plugs on one of those engines and it is a time consuming process that could result in the need to buy special tools to remove the chunks of spark plug left behind.

Have you changed the fuel filter recently? A severely blocked filter could cause those symptoms.

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Trust me on this one op... Above your spare tire on the frame there is a fuel pump driver module that is extremely prone to corrosion and failure... Check there first... It's forwards the front of the spare on drivers side on a frame crossmember and its mounted at 45 degrees vertical facing the rear....

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    FPDM is where I'm looking first thing this morning. Read a lot about it last night and seems to be a common problem. A fpdm failure seems to match the symptoms of the truck.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    First thing.........2004 5.4 was a split year engine. Only way you will know which spark plug you have is to pull the VIN Number and call the dealer. I have a 2004 F250 with 5.4 and it has normal plugs that are easy to change.....but that's not your problem in my opinion.

You could pull your air hose and clean the throttle body....but I don't think that will help you either.

My guess is either fuel pump or catalytic converter plugged. You can check the fuel pressure with a gauge only...you may see fuel coming out but you have to know pressure. Catalytic converter can be checked by removing an oxygen sensor that is before the converter.

I had a converter clog once.......and have had to replace my fuel pump once as well.......but I have 270,000 miles on mine.

I have a good mechanic down by Mooresville if you need his number.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Go rent fuel pressure kit and of course no way to interface with fords system.
    Fuel pump is running with unknown pressure went ahead and replaced fuel filter
    Truck is getting spark

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Did you visually check fpdm??? I've seen them broke in 2 pieces and work one day and not the next... If its never been changed its almost certainly bad..?????

Bowman78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2010
    Camby
    Common

Issues with 04+ f150's are fpdm's ... On all models.. On 5.4 engines cam phasers and control valves, spark plugs stuck in heads and fuel injectors sticking open which there is an extended warranty on..

Top Bottom