NBC dumps 'under God' from Pledge at U.S. Open Read more: NBC dumps 'under God' from

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I believe Mr. Adams to have been a very intelligent man. I think his point is being proven on a daily basis as we all sit here watching the collapse of our society.

That carefully mined quote leaves a lot out of Adams' thought. Let's go for the whole paragraph:

"While our country remains untainted with the principles and manners which are now producing desolation in so many parts of the world; while she continues sincere, and incapable of insidious and impious policy, we shall have the strongest reason to rejoice in the local destination assigned us by Providence. But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candor, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the World; because we have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Translation: Our Constitution isn't designed to govern hypocrites. Perhaps that explains the collapse of our society.

I prefer the original pre-'54 Pledge. I just wish they hadn't wussed out and apologized.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nothing wrong with that. I pledge allegiance to my country, but I have no belief in a higher being so I omit those words as well. The 1st Amendment should have included freedom from religion to go along with freedom of religion.

As our president once noted our constitution is a charter of negative liberties. It tells you what the government cannot do to you, not what it must do for you. That's the beauty of it. If you do not wish to observe or practice any/all religions, the freedom of religion thingy says the government cannot force you to do otherwise. So enjoy:rockwoot:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Originally posted by Frank_N_Stein
    Nothing wrong with that. I pledge allegiance to my country, but I have no belief in a higher being so I omit those words as well. The 1st Amendment should have included freedom from religion to go along with freedom of religion.

Is it true that atheists don't want to spread their non religion.

Originally posted by https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/members/frank_n_stein.html96firephoenix
    while I think we should not take God out of the equation, the original text of the Pledge of Allegiance did NOT contain the phrase "under God." that was added during the cold war to separate us from the "Godless Commies."

Well "Stalin forbid", we would try to separate godless commies from Godless Americans.

BTW they also omitted indivisible but that doesn't seem to be a problem.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There ARE millions of gods,

Only one true God, He doesn't go by millions of names.

There are hundreds listed in the old King James.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    That carefully mined quote leaves a lot out of Adams' thought. Let's go for the whole paragraph:

"While our country remains untainted with the principles and manners which are now producing desolation in so many parts of the world; while she continues sincere, and incapable of insidious and impious policy, we shall have the strongest reason to rejoice in the local destination assigned us by Providence. But should the people of America once become capable of that deep simulation towards one another, and towards foreign nations, which assumes the language of justice and moderation while it is practising iniquity and extravagance, and displays in the most captivating manner the charming pictures of candor, frankness, and sincerity, while it is rioting in rapine and insolence, this country will be the most miserable habitation in the World; because we have no government armed with power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion. Avarice, ambition, revenge, or gallantry, would break the strongest cords of our Constitution as a whale goes through a net. Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

Translation: Our Constitution isn't designed to govern hypocrites. Perhaps that explains the collapse of our society.

I prefer the original pre-'54 Pledge. I just wish they hadn't wussed out and apologized.

Our Constitution was designed to govern every American, but it can only affect those who will allow themselves to be governed. People who are not capable of humbling themselves to another, cannot be governed by our Constitution. They will want things their way or no way at all, but will not yield to the democratic process to make changes. They will try to force change and then call themselves patriots, while comparing themselves to the Founding Fathers. I would say these are the true hypocrites that the Constitution isn't designed to govern.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Not meant as an insult.
    You've stated in previous posts that you were Canadian. :dunno:
    EDIT:
    I apologize. I was thinking of another member with a similar name.
    In any case it wasn't meant as an insult to Canadians.

Ah, I thought you were trying to say I was one of those godless Commies :D

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Our Constitution was designed to govern every American, but it can only affect those who will allow themselves to be governed. People who are not capable of humbling themselves to another, cannot be governed by our Constitution. They will want things their way or no way at all, but will not yield to the democratic process to make changes. They will try to force change and then call themselves patriots, while comparing themselves to the Founding Fathers. I would say these are the true hypocrites that the Constitution isn't designed to govern.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^YUP!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

I don't know if that is quite what Adams was saying, but I'm inclined to agree.

You are talking about Tea Partiers and Historical Revisionists, right?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

You cared enough to negative rep me though, didn't ya?
    :laugh:

I'd still like to know how you enforce freedom from religion? Anyone?

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    "Freedom from religion" is when they twist the 1st beyond all recognition and use it to do things like try to ban a school from renting a larger auditorium for its graduation, just because that auditorium is in a church...

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I don't know if that is quite what Adams was saying, but I'm inclined to agree.

You are talking about Tea Partiers and Historical Revisionists, right?

I wasn't referring to any particular group, but all of us as individuals.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    What? The pledge WAS changed in 1954. The original version DIDN'T have "under God" in it. I don't see how your point is in any way relevant. I didn't even pronounce a judgement on the change, simply stated a relevant fact. ...
    No disrespect intended Bond, I was just pointing out the fact I learned the Pledge twice.

drobpk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    Indy and South Florida
    Thank you Joslar for this post.

I believe this action by NBC was indeed deliberate. 40 years ago they would have been scorned by the public and the media. Not today. The results of this post shows that unfortunately this nation is becoming a nation that is NOT under God. This will eventually lead to the demise of the country if not reversed. This path of history is following that of the Roman Empire which rotted from the inside out.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I would just like to take this opportunity to point out something that I have noticed lately. It seems rules are being relaxed with regards to discussion on religion, which is great! I just want to know if it would be okay for someone like Frank or Denny, whom reject deities, to respond to posts like the one above that makes wild claims about the downfall of America being linked to the rejection of Christianity. Or, would that be in violation of Religious and racially based threads of any nature are not allowed on INGunOwners.com?

I would actually support repealing the rule . Its just that sometimes I want to respond to things, but don't want a thread lock or a ban hammer.I don't want to be the guy that gets something locked up, yet i sort of feel handcuffed.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Sorry, but I've got to ask(and I'm all for free speech including the freedom to not to speak), have you ever been hurt in any way by religion? I am trying to understand what kind of freedom you may need FROM religion!
    As far as reciting The Pledge, or editing it to sound different than it was originally recorded is akin to those egotistical renditions of The National Anthem, where some moron feels it's necessary to " make the song their own" or intentionally disrespect The Anthem.
    It really doesn't surprise me that a network like NBC would pull a stunt like that, and later weakly apologize, as if it was just an accidental slip.( there's no way that was un-intentional!)
    As far as your non-belief.... That's your right! But as the old saying goes" there's no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole"!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom